Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Men Alive....


I'm not a huge chorus fan. In fact I'm not really that huge fan of musicals at all. But I dont hate them, and I'm usually pleased when I actually get out and see this sort of thing. Well, our friend Kalinda Gray was in a Legally Blonde number for this particular production called - Men Alive The Orange County Gay Men's Chorus presents New York City Rhythm with special guest Bernadette Peters. Terri and I went Saturday night to show our support. Norm pulled me some killer seats and we settled in after a yummy dinner at Friday's before hand. Our friend Tom Kelly plops down in front of us, yup - out of a 3K seat house my friend sits right in front of me. The three of us hugged, giggled and got ready to watch the show.

The show began with the boys singing chorus style and the other folk running around in a NY city scene - we immediatly spotted our friend since she was the only one wearing a fabulous red outfit. Next song - "Dont Rain on my Parade" - fun. "For Good" from Wicked - beautiful. "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" - I was bouncing around and laughing my ass off. "There, Right There" - our friend Kalinda!!! Go girl!!! Hilarious routine. "Whay a Joy" - lovely. "Nessun Dorman" - I of course was entranced, this being one of my favorite pieces. Thier rendetion was beautiful. "Tale of the Choir" (to the tune of Figaro) - Hilarious. "We Kiss in a Shadow" - I almost cried, so lovely. "This is the Moment" - wonderful. "Dreamgirls Showcase" - this one was fun, our friend appeared as one of the Dreamgirls for a brief moment, but alot of the boys had solos. All of them wonderful - but my favorite was this dorky, lanky, tall asian kid with glasses walks out to sing, opens his mouth - Hello swooner!!! It was awesome!!!

Act 2. "Big Time Broadway Blast" - this was a modge podge of different broadway songs. At the end - out come Bernadette. The gown she was wearing was stunning (and bright, T and I both got blinded a few times). She's so cute, so little and such a great broadway Diva. She was delightful, funny, sexy and sounded fantastic. She sang "There is Nothing Like a Dame" - adorable. "Fever" - this was my favorite. She crawled up on the piano and was so sultry and adorable! "Some Enchanted Evening" - lovely, I felt like I was at Disneyland. "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" - hilarious. "Make them Hear you" - fab. Then she did an encore number that was a lullaby she wrote - so very sweet.

All in all the show was just delightful. I had fun, thought it was very well done and was so excited to see Bernadette Peters!!!!

Little sidebar - after the show while waiting for Kalinda to come up, we got into conversation with one of the thousands of gay men running around OCPAC. He said he has been dreaming about his lover for 1 year, he dreamed of them in the theater (He's never been there) so of course he DIED when he walked in, because it was the same from the dream. He knows his lovers face, sound of his voice, what he looks like, etc. He's supposed to meet him at the 6 month mark - this course is Saturday night at midnight. 3 psychics have told him the same thing, he's so excited! He heads back in to make another round looking for his future soul mate. "Good Luck!" I shout. "I dont need luck honey!". Ok. I sure hope he finds the boy. :) Such a fun night all in all, good dinner with T beforehand, fantastic show, plenty of eye candy, I believe 2 women did check me out!



No comments: