Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dad


This weekend brings us Father's Day. Now its dad's turn to get his gushy blog from his daughter. So here goes:
Dad - I think you and I have one of the most outstanding/unusual/wacky relationships. We have that psychic connection. (Alot of you readers have heard the stories). We are almost the same person. We can finish each other's sentences; we have the same temper, the same foul mouth, the same assertiveness, the same taste, the same sense of humor, same appreciation for music. You've always been so supportive in almost everything I do. You've come to all my shows. You've taught me how to take care of myself. You've taught me how to fight and how to survive. I've been so lucky to have been blessed with fantastic parents. Although you and mom went your separate ways, you two have stayed friends and always always been completely involved in my life. And as I've gotten older, I understand. I love you so very much and will forever be daddy's little girl.
Daddy's memories:
- You loooooooved to work in the yard. I remember playing out in the dirt and pretending to help you when I was a kid. To this day when I catch the sent of freshly watered grass those memories flood back at full speed.
- How proud you were when you bought me my letterman jacket.
- You always seemed to be an assistant coach in whatever sport I was playing, and would proceed to kick my ass. If it were softball after a 3 hour-long practice you would drag me to the batting cages for another hour. Or hit balls to me. If it were tennis you'd drag me out to the courts to practice even more. When you'd show up to our practices the girls would groan knowing you were going to make us run laps.
- The love letter you wrote me to before I got married
- Your pained look when I came out of the dressing room in my prom dress.
- Your realization when I lost my temper during a softball game - knowing I'd inherited yours.
- Smoking with you. ;)
- Las Brisas, and now Taps trips
- Havasu
- How you and I both can forget what we're saying mid-sentence
- You constantly correcting my grammar
- The fact that you and I can find something utterly hysterical and everyone else looks at us like we're fucking crazy
- Our Fair trips
- When you would pick me up from Elementary School in one of your giant trucks. I'd feel so cool cuz my daddy had the biggest car.
- Walking into the fire station as a kid. Then years later as young woman and watching all the other fireman avert their eyes whispering "That's Billy's girl!" or "That's the Captain's daughter!" and I'd be so sad because no cutie fireman would ever ask me out
- Tower of Power concerts – especially the one that ended the night in an Irish Pub in Vegas hanging with the Band members
- When you used to tuck me in you'd say "Blow out the lights", I'd take a deep breathe, blow and the lights would magically go out
Of course I could go on and on. Thank you for all you've ever done for me! Happy Father's Day Daddy!!! I love you!

1 comment:

Rose said...

you're so sweet! i'm glad that you have such awesome, supportive, loving parents :)