Monday, June 16, 2008

Bunnies & Jazz

So this past Saturday me and dad attended the 2008 Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl!
I arrived at dad's around noon and we loaded up our backpacks, food and cooler full of wine and hit the road. Traffic SUCKED, but not surprised. We arrive at the venue and are drivin around trying to figure out the parking deal, dad pulls an illegal move in front of a cop who stopped us and gave us a rash of shit, (good one dad) but no ticket thank gawd. We finally parked in whats called "stacked" parking. Guess we aint leavin early! We unload and start the trek to the bowl. Me and Dad each holding one end of my big ass cooler and hiking uphill. I'm in shape - but JESUS CHRIST. Note to self for next year - cooler with wheels. We hike up to our seats, I'm thinking we're in handicapp with Danny and his wife. Alas no. We're in the normal seats which are benches and they cram too many people to one bench. I had to sit with the cooler under the bench which stuck out so my legs went over the thing. Not the most comfortable of situations. I'm thinking to myself "Fuck, its only 1:30 and we're here till midnight." I suck it up tho, getting revved up for some damn good music. Well - it only got better from there.
Our group around us was awesome. We had the gay couple that arrived early and proceeded to pass out jello shots to our whole section. This older couple sat next to me. We became fast friends since I knew I'd be climbing all over them the rest of the day. An african-american woman and her mother were in front of us. Hispanic party couple next to dad. We all became pals. And the drunker we all got - best friends even. Terri and her mom were a few rows up behind us, so we hooked up every now and again for a smoke or to gush over the current artist playing.
Now - before I get into the bomb ass music - I'd like to start with our immediate surroundings. At one point some guy tried to sell "Chronic Candy" to the older african american mother in front of us, when she was told what it really was she was mortified and sent all of us around her into utter hysterics. It seemed like EVERYONE brought 5 course meals. People were whippin out pastas, chicken, ribs, salads, etc etc etc while dad and I looked longing on munching our PB&J sandwiches. People walked in front of us throwing mardi gras beads. I got hit in the face with 4 of em so I got 2 and dad got 2. At one point the crowd started reacting to something - we turned around and there were about 50 beach balls coming down from the top of the bowl. Hilarious. I danced with the hispanic couple during T.O.P. Our surrounding people were laughing, dancing, singing and screaming the whole time. It was fucking awesome. When T and I would take our smoke breaks we'd stop and visit with Danny - him joining us sometimes - and we'd plant ourselves slanted like on the massive hill we had to smoke on. Some dude gave me his personal beads since I gave him a cig. The people were all music fans and there for the music. I loved it.
Now - the line up:
First off was The Hamilton Academy of Music Jazz Ensemble "A" under the direction of Dan Taguchi. Kids. Fucking kids. They were like 10-16. At first we were so busy getting accustomed to our seating/surroundings that we didnt pay too much attention - well they got us. Dad and I watched on in shock at how talented these kids were.
Second - Robert Glasper. Easy jazz. I found myself not even really hearing anything but his sweet sax solo. So chill. Almost put me to sleep - but in a good way
Third - Hiromi's Sonicboom. This was a group of 4 artists. The pianist being this little tiny asian doll who pounded those keys like no one's business. She was fucking amazing. Each artist was from some other part of the world. They were incredible and she was absouletly adorable. (During this set is when Hugh Hefner and all his bunnies arrived. I had a ball with my binoculars watching him come in with all these gals in pink! ha ha ha!)
Fourth - Bill Cosby's crew. (He was also Emcee). Featuring - Ambrose Akinmusire, Dwayne Burno, Ndugu Chancler, Benny Green, Billy Harper, Jerry Peters and David Walker. First of all watching Cosby rock it out was fantastic. His band killed it. There was a kid on the piano who had to be maybe 17 or 18 who was un-fucking-believable. I was dying. I was beginning to realize no one was going to be weak at this concert, and I was right.
Fifth - Sherrie Maricle & The DIVA Jazz Orchestra. I'm guessing most these ladies were lesbians or looked it. Some were a little intimidating. But damn could they play!!!! The lady on the stand up bass was amazing. I've never seen a person go off like that before on that instrument. Dad couldnt get over these ladies. He just kept turning to me in amazement saying "Are you hearing this!!"
Sixth - Dr. John & the Lower 911 - Awesome.
Seventh- The James Moody Quartet. Bomb. I mean bomb. Sax solos like no other
Eighth- R n R featuring Rick Bruan and Richard Elliot. These dudes Danny actually knows. They were phenominal. Dad is running out to buy thier CD probably right this second. I have never ever seen someone tear up the sax like this guy. He got down on the ground and was making these crazy low noises come out of it like I've never heard before. The crowd went wild.
Ninth - Poncho Sanchez. Hello. Dude's lost weight first of all. They tore it up. I found myself dancing and in utter awe watching such a brilliant musician.
Tenth - Al Jarreau. Holy Shit. He was OUTSTANDING. He skat, he sang, he danced. I died. He had a guest gal come onstage named Roberta Gambolini who was one of THE BEST skat artists I've ever heard. Al Jarreau was fucking amazing. I couldnt take my eyes off him.
Last but definatly not least my boys - Tower of Power. They of course were off the fucking hook. One of thier best shows. (Shorter set then I prefer) but still - Amazing. When Larry was out there I kept thinking "Why did I not hook up with that boy when I had the chance!!!". They did all the favorites, and didnt miss a beat.
Getting home was a bear, but it was worth every second. I have to say this is the best night of music I have ever seen. Every single band was fucking amazing. The atmosphere was fantastic. People were drinking and dancing and laughing and loving every second. I had an amazing time!!! Next year tho - box seats. Terri - we're on it!

1 comment:

R-becca said...

sounds awesome! glad you got to go to that!