Friday, May 30, 2008

Walk Hard & Juno



Since I TOTALLY lag when it comes to watching movies, I figured I'll write about them, if I think of it, when I see them. Why the hell not right?
Lets start with Walk Hard. We watched this during our movie night in Havasu. They projected the movie on the side of the RV. I have to admit - thats a cool way to watch movies. Too bad the movie wasnt that great. Now, I'm not a huge fan of these types of movies anyway, but I've seen some I do dig - Talladega Nights, 40-Year Old Virgin for example I thought were hilarious. This one just didnt hit it at all for me. I'm a HUGE comic critic. I like good comedy and timing and delivery have got to be on it, or I probably wont enjoy it. Walk Hard was just stupid. I saw where it was trying to go (the "spoof" movie) but it just didnt cut it. It drug, the jokes werent that funny and I rarely actually laughed. Pretty sad considering this is a comedy right? I'm a huge fan of John C. Reilly. When he sang Mr. Cellophane Man In Chicago I wanted to die, so I did enjoy him singing in this movie. He did just fine as the character, but the movie just blew. I do want to give props to Jenna Fischer tho. She played the part of Darlene and she was quite funny. The cartoon acid trip scene was cute. Otherwise - thumbs down. I wasnt the only one who thought so eithier. A few of the people in the group I overheard making comments that they didnt really care for it eithier.
Now - Juno. I watched this last nite and absolutely adored it!!! I can understand now why it had so many Oscar nods. Ellen Page (Juno) was so cute, real, fantastic. Almost the entire cast was outstanding. Michael Cerna (Paul Bleeker) was darling. Jennifer Garner (Vanessa) was so sweet. She was totally OCD yet you felt for her. Allison Janney (Bren) played Juno's step mom and she was an absolute kick in the pants. Her character was fantastic. Right there with her was J.K. Simmons (Mac) Juno's dad. You completely fell in love with him. The way he handled the situation, the perfect dad. I also want to point out Olivia Thirby (Lea). She played Juno's best bud, and she was hilarious. Both Ellen and Olivia captured the high school attitudes. I think I'm getting sappy in my old age, because I found myself crying a few times during this flick. Happy tears of course. The only one I had a problem with was Jason Bateman (Mark). I like him, and have wanted to see him get more work, but he just didnt do it for me in the movie. I guess I'd call his performance flat. The story is about Juno gets knocked up by her HS boyfriend, and decides to put the child up for adoption to Vanessa/Mark. You then follow her thru her pregnancy, high school woes, crushes, finding herself, etc. I loved it. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside after the movie was over. I found myself longing for puppy love once again. The acting was fantastic, the screenplay was fantastic, the directing was fantastic and the music was fantastic. If you havent seen it yet I highly recommend it! A very feel good movie! (Did I mention the fantastic part? Apparently my word for this blog...)

No comments: