Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Across the Universe














*Spoliers!!*
I'll start out with the picture blogging first -
I cant seem to figure out how to put pictures where I want them, so I'll start from the top! #1 - I pulled this only for that fact that its such a beautiful romantic photo. It should be in my previous blog. #2 - Dana Fuchs - fucking amazing. I loved her voice, her attitude - its the part I would want to play. #3 - Jude - Amber's boyfriend - and a beautiful shot. #4 - One of my favorite scenes in the movie. The art and the passion in this scene was put together stunningly. #5 - Another favorite scene. I admit I'm a big fan of artsy water stuff, this was that. They all looked like dancers, it was lovely. #6 - A shocking cameo - Bono. I almost fell off the couch. I had no idea he was in this! #7 - The movie poster. Just cause. #8 - This scene sent me to tears. #9 - My boyfriend...the blonde - Max. Ya - I fell for that hottie. #10 - Another favorite scene and I fucking love this picture. #11 - Shocking cameo number two - had no idea Eddie Izzard was in it, and on top of that - his scene was my favorite Beatles song.
Ok then - Across the Universe. I've been hearing so much about this movie, but as most of you know me - I lag on watching the damn things. Amber came over last night for one of our movie nights and she brought this. I was so excited because I had wanted to see it, and so many people came up to me saying "Jami of all people you will love this movie". I never knew why. Now I do. I remember when Mel saw it, she said "It made me want to paint!". So here's my little mini review/synopsis/whatever - I'm just now writing about movies I see and books I read cuz I think its healthy. *Spoliers*
The voices in the movie were lovely. The artistic value was beautiful. The take on the sixties sent me over the edge. They hit so many different aspects - the Detroit Riots, the Columbia protest, the war. The all lived in an artistic commune - Sadie (Dana Fuchs) who had a raspy fantastic rockstar voice - very "Janis Joplin", Jo Jo (Martin Luther) a guitar player - very "Jimi Hendrix", Prudence (T.V. Carpio) a darlin little asian lesbian, then the main ones - Max (Joe Anderson) my new boyfriend, Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) and Jude (Jim Sturgess). Max and Lucy are siblings and Lucy and Jude fall for each other. Max gets sent off to war. This hurt my heart. All the "war" stuff they did of course brought tears to my eyes. I have an extreme hatred and emotional reaction to war. I will NOT watch war movies to this day as a matter of fact. The choreography they had when Max goes to get drafted was amazing and fucked up. Uncle Sam was singing "I want you". They took this Beatles song to a whole other level. The "She's so heavy" chorus part - the new drafted kids were carrying the statue of liberty. Throughout the rest of the movie when they'd show the brief war moments with Max I'd cry. When he was in the hospital they had an amazing choreography set up like Russian Roulette (each soldier...its like russian roulette) I absolutly loved the symbolism they had in this movie. They showed a brief scene from the Detroit Riots - a little kid singing "Let it Be", voice of an angel - also made me cry. But moving on to the fun stuff - I think one of my favorite parts of the flick, was when they all meet up with "Dr. Robert" played by Bono - this was totally reminiscent of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters - psychodelic bus and all. They also stopped at "Dr. Geary's place" very reminiscent of Timothy Leary and the odds Leary and Kesey were at back then. I about died - I'm a HUGE fan of Jack Kerouac, Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary, William Burroughs, Allan Ginsberg - that whole scene - that whole time. Following that scene is a wacked out acid like trip to a traveling circus headed by Mr. Kite played by Eddie Izzard - you cant get better then that - combining my favorite Beatles song, Eddie Izzard and a flashback I didnt need one drug for! There was another scene I loved when Jude was upset and having a flip out session in is room with paint and strawberries running the same time with war shots with Max. The music, the cinematography, the passion of this scene was incredible.
SO - all in all - I fucking loved the movie. No there's not a whole lot of thinking or depth in this flick, but its stunning to watch, fun to listen to favorite Beatles songs, so so beautiful and hit on all the aspects of 60's - which as most of you know was the era I should have been born in (both my parents have told me).

No comments: