Wednesday, May 14, 2008

1 Year





























On September 14th, 2007 I wandered into the Newport Harbor Animal Shelter just to take a peek. I had a few months prior lost my sweet girl Gizmo to cancer, the last of my 3 animal companions (Gizmo, Panther, and Harriet) I had moved out into the big world with. I was devastated. Months passed and I found myself missing the love/companionship animals bring into your life. So, I figured I'd just take a peek.







They gave me freedom to wander thru on my own. I was there for over an hour, stopping at every cage, petting the cats/dogs, talking to them and of course crying. I wanted to take every single one of them home. I found myself drawn to a brother and sister pair that were about a year old. I wander some more. I finally decided I would go home and from there have a clear mind and decide who to adopt. As I was heading out I noticed a cage I seemed to have missed. So of course I had to go and see who was in there. I opened the large wooden door and I saw a large black clump of fur. As the door squeaked on its hinges, the clump of fur moved and split into 2 little kittens. They both gazed up at me at the same time and met my eyes. Tweaks let out a little mew and that was it. I marched right up to the front desk and said - "I want them." and pointed to the girls. "Both of them?!" The gal asked. "Yes" I answered as I wiped ridiculous tears away. "Oh I'm so glad" she squealed, "They're 2 little sisters that were abadoned in a alley! We really didnt want to separate them!". I wrote my check (asking that she not cash it for a few days....) signed a few papers and walked out. I was to come back in a week to pick them up, after they got spayed and thier 1st round of shots.







I called immediatly called my roomate screaming "I adopted 2 kittens!!!!!!!!" He was thrilled.







The next day I went and bought all the supplies I needed and set up a little nook in the kitchen. I brought them home and sat with them for hours watching them explore, playing with them, loving them and naming them.







They've grown into lovely little ladies with each having thier own distinct personalities. Tweaks is the less gracefull of the 2, wacky, chatty, fearless and fluffy. Tabitha is my little princess, sleek, cuddly and with the longest tail that goes from question mark to corkscrew. They sleep with me every night, their loving, they love thier bellies scratched, they're crazy, sweet, sassy, hilarious and have truly been the sunshine in my life.







I love them so much. Happy Birthday to my girls!!!!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, little kitties!


Love,
Brenda

R-becca said...

Yeah!!! I am so happy you got them. They are so adorable and silly. I hope you enjoyed their first year...they just get better.

Rose said...

happy birthday baby girls!!!!!!!