Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Havasu

I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually cursed in the vacation department. Now - Havasu wasnt nearly as bad as Yosemite, but it sure wasnt what I was planning on.
We'll start with Day 1.
I arrive at Robert/Pierre's at 6:30am. So early. Keith/Katrina already there. We drive out to Norco to his parents place where the motor home is. Sonia/Tish arrive, the 7 of us pile into the motor home and head out. We're excited. It'll be fun. As we're driving its getting colder. Its raining off and on. I'm telling myself - it wont be this way in Havasu, I mean come - its Havasu! Wrong. We arrive in the rain. Yup. Pouring. We all separate to get set up in our different locations. Me to my own room, S/T to theirs, K/K to theirs, R/P to set up camp with the RV. The rest of the crew is arriving separately - Anna/Sergio, The couple with the little baby named Tatiana (but cant remember thier name...Carlos I think is the guy) & Ben. We get all set up. Its cold. Its pouring rain, I mean waterfalls comin off the canopy of the RV. Whatever. We drink the night away. K/K I'm realizing are going to be interesting- this is something I may blog on later, but right now lets just say I'm glad I got my own room for multiple reasons. Guess getting fucked over last minute worked out fine. S/T and me trek back to our rooms wet and tired, I say goodnight to the ladies and crash out.
Day 2. Sun is peeking thru my window. I get excited, I roll out of bed make my coffee in my little coffee maker I just bought for the trip and get ready to shower. No hot water and no water pressure. Fabulous. I take a freezing cold shower, hopping around, cursing then warming up with my coffee. I walk outside in my suit and shorts - its clouding up again. WTF. I take a walk, stroll down to the ladies room and we chat. Its now cold. I change. Its raining again. Fuck me. Day 2 consisted of visiting with people, eating, drinking and napping. The rest of the group arrived. Art/Raina and thier 3 boys. Another couple (names...jesus) and thier 2 little ones - a little girl (name...fuck!) and a little boy named Julio. The little girl befriended me, and sold rocks. She made a killing. I told her to hide her money and never ever let boys see it. Also during the entire portion of Day 2 R/P were working on the boat - yup - boat broke. I mean from 10am till 6pm those poor guys were at it. They eventually did fix it, but my god. I was back and forth to the boat and the site trying to mingle with all. I'm also back and forth with the BlackMeadow Landing people trying to get my hot water fixed. This takes about 2 hours of my day. S/T have now also informed me that one of thier wave runners is broken as well. Fabulous. This is starting to be a fanfuckingtastic time. I drink alot that night, go to bed.
Day 3. Sun is out. For real. Thank GAWD. My routine is the same, but now there is still no water pressure - but at least its hot. I wander down to the S/T room.
I'm going to interject here now and say that the best thing to come from this trip is I made 2 great new friends. Tish I've met quite a few times at the Bistro, but really got to know over the past 5 days. She's older then me, maybe in her 50's. She reminds me so much of my mom's neighbor Isabel. She's an amazing person. Sonia is a couple of years younger then me and very driven, confident and fun. We definatly plan on going out together in the future. Maybe we bonded cuz we were the 3 single women of the crew, but whatever it was these 2 women became wonderful friends and I'm looking foward to future experiences with them. Tish is also into Tarot cards, the intuitive and all that jazz as well as faires - yup. She gave me a Fairie reading. As I started blogging about it here, I realized its going to take another blog so look for that one next.....continuing with Day 3. Our little RV crew took the finally working boat out. When we stopped I got a little woozy so I hopped in the water. Freezing. Keith and Pierre roared with laughter at my face as I leaped back out. The boat was beautiful and fun to ride when it was moving, but when I got back to land I had to lay down due to my equilebrium issue. The rest of the afternoon I hung with the crew river front, chillin and drinking and chatting and napping. At some point Ben brought us a sampling of this pork loin Raina had made. Best fucking thing ever!!!!! That night we projected Walk Hard on the side of the RV and had movie nite. Stupid movie, great crowd tho. I go to bed dizzy and tired.
Day 4. Sunny again, still not that hot. This time we take the boat to London Bridge. This day blew. We get there, lots of waiting and no one making any decsions. We're waiting for some Brian dude and his crew. They decide to move again, this time with the slow boat moving combined with the fuel of the million other boats around us, I was done. When we docked I was sick, and I started crying. Tish and Sonia of course were right at my side. I eventually made my way into the restaurant we decided to eat at, and did feel somewhat better but never got 100%. The crew then ended up at the bar. (Naked Turtle). They were there for 4 fucking hours. I dont understand why. Its a bar. We have bars at home. Why the hell are we at the river at a bar?! We have free booze back at camp. I broke from the crowd shortly into the bar fest and found a quiet little table in the shade and sat alone for hours, just wishing we'd leave. Finally we did - I mean it was getting dark after all. Jesus. We get back, I still feel like shit. K/K are really under my skin. I was just not thrilled, nor was a few others. Whatever. Wasted day. They took the boat out for a little longer, and I found myself with our group at camp wishing I'd been there all day. This was the night that the stars were really out. My shitty day washed away as I gazed up into the night and saw so many stars. I saw at least 5 or 6 shooting stars. Art got to see his first one ever. Sonia and I went down to the lake and sprawled across the floaties staring up into the heavens. It was truly breathtaking.
Day 5. I'm so ready to go home. Of course we dont leave till noon because they take the boat out again. Whatever. I enjoyed my alone time, packing up, visiting with Anna, wandering around. Saying hi to the burros that finally decided to show up. We head home. All tired, but relaxed. Sonia, Tish and I exchange information. We load, unload, load, unload. If I decide to go again, IF. I will drive myself and bring a friend and only go if the weather will be what I like to call Havasu hot.
All in all, the trip was nice. I got away for 5 days. Didnt think about anything. I did find myself crying alone in my room a few times, and cursing at myself for doing so. I made some great new friends, saw some beautiful scenery, spent quality time with Robert and Pierre who always will hold a special place in my heart and realized some things about myself.

3 comments:

Rose said...

i can't wait to see you tonight. i say you & me plan a trip. and DAMMIT WE WILL HAVE FUN! :) maybe just a little road trip or something?! I like that you told the little girl to hide her money. you are priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jekkia said...

I love the way you write- I was laughing my ass off one minute then wishing you were here to give you a hug the next.
Havisu hot- yes indeed.

R-becca said...

Man! Not again! Well, at least you did have some good moments and got away. That's always nice.