Friday, May 9, 2008

Mom


Since Mother's Day rolls in this Sunday I thought I'd write a special blog to mom. So mom - Happy Mother's Day!
It's true, I'm bias because you are MY mom but you are truly one of the most amazing people ever to walk this earth. You've had your share of financial mishaps, and struggled your entire life but you still gave Shane and I a fantastic childhood and give me to this day all the love and support one could ask for. You have the patience of a saint. I'm not the only one who says you can walk into the middle of a NYC Subway and make all those around you feel calm. You have this soothing energy about you that is so unique. I have never met someone like that in all my years on this earth. Alot of my friends and Shane's friends too (and still do), call you for advice, come over for visits, ask your thoughts on decisions. Everyone loves you. You have a heart bigger then you can afford sometimes. Your beautiful inside and out. So here's some fond memories I'm passing on to the world of bloggers:
- We used to lay out on the grass and you'd point up to the clouds asking me what animals did I see?
- Every summer we'd take a big white poster board and make a calendar. It would be filled with book clubs, sports, scouts, amusement parks, vacations and more making me so excited everytime I'd look at it to see what adventure was coming up next. The fact that we did all these crazy trips and what not on little to no money amazes me.
- Driving up to Oregon and groaning when you said for the 50th time "Look at all the trees!!!!"
- Our almost daily phone conversations
- The fact that you were invovled in every committee Shane and I were in. You were a Girl Scout and Boy Scout assistant leader, you were on the PTA, you were on our grad committees, you were always always invovled.
- You've been to every single play I've ever been in (sans 1 or 2 I told you not to bother coming to).
- My surprise 30th birthday party that you and Jody threw for me when I needed it most. And - actually shocked the hell out of me.
- When I wanted to play piano, you and dad got me piano lessons. When I wanted to play drums you and dad got me a beat up used drum set and got me drum lessons.
- When I was tiny (I dont remember, but I see the photos) you had me in dance classes.
- Your mortification when you slipped about my engagement ring.
- All the blood, sweat and tears you put into my wedding.
- The fact that the day I knew my marriage was over you were at my house within the hour helping me deal with everything.
- Your help with my move into my current bungalow, lining my shelves, helping me unpack, decorating my place when I was too distraught to think straight.
- Our holiday trips to Disneyland.
- How you love to decorate. If I threw a "Pimps & Ho's" party you were picking out gold coins and condoms. If I threw a Halloween party you were calling me every day telling me the newest horror creature you found on clearance.
- Your addiction to clearance sales
- The way you completely screw up phrases - a couple of my favorites being: "I'm stuck between 2 rocks" or "Its one dozen and a half to another".
- When you get the giggles and it makes you cry.
- That your house is a zoo. Yes you have your own kids (Smokie, Harley, Gallagher) but also that fact that its home to a zillion birds, lizards, bunnies and other creatures. I've always imagined you walking down the street like a godamn Disney Princess with little animals walking/flying all around you.
- Your obsession with Russel Crowe
- The fact that you can make anything fun. If it kills us all - we will have a good time!
I can go on and on. Mom you have made my life full of wacky, silly wonderful memories. Thank you for always being there for me. My life would not be complete without you in it. I love you.

No comments: