Thursday, July 24, 2008

Illinois Day 4...

This morning I got to be awoken by the construction workers starting work on the house behind us. Awesome.
Yesterday started off a bit hurried. We had to be out of the house by 8am due to Grandad's maid service coming. Grandad took Sam and headed out to his sisters. Me, Dad, Lori and Jon piled into the rental and headed out to Arthur. Arthur is an Amish town. Out in the middle of fucking nowhere. We're driving through cornfields. Shocking. Lots of corn around here. The road that takes us to Arthur is closed. Fantastic. We decide to try to figure it out. The next hour consists of us driving thru cornfield after cornfield passing farms. Dad and I start our own narration of the McCoy family set out to visit Arthur, gets lost in the cornfields never to be heard from again.....
I know we're close - we're passing houses with laundry hanging to dry. Amish. A horse drawn buggy passes us. Ok we're close. We find it. Breakfast at Yoders. Its a restaurant/gift shop. FANTASTIC breakfast. Lori & I discuss our escape plan when the Amish find out we're actually the devil's children and they start chasing us with torches. We check out the gift shop on our way out. They have Amish dolls. I almost bought the one that came with a hymnal. Instead I bought cookies. (Did I mention I will be returning to California a total fatass?) We head into downtown Arthur. I tell ya what folks - it aint nuthin. I felt like I was at one of those Civil War reinactments except an Amish one. I bought a kitty bookmark. Lori got all her quilting supplies she wanted. (You get awesome deals here in Arthur) then we headed out. Of course we got lost again and drove thru the cornfields. Dad cursing the whole way - me reminding him we're going back to Decatur in no rush. Besides we're listening to K-DKR and its "Wow Wednesday". I shit you not, thats what they said. We get home.
Dad gives some cash to me and Lori and sends us to get beautified. Lori gets a manicure, I get a pedicure. Mind you we waited almot 2 hours because there's only 1 nail salon in Decatur and only 2 chicks we're working. We come home, laze around then off to dinner. All of us. Yay!!!
We go to a place called the Beachhouse. Its on the Decatur lake. Gorgeous. I see they have something called a Walleye Sandwich. I order it only for the sheer curiousity. Its amazing. We all eat way too much - shocking - and roll out the door. After a lovley stroll thru the park - Lori chasing the ducks - we head back.
Its been quiet here. Jon and I are a bit stir crazy, but I wouldnt trade it for the world. I've got to spend time with Grandad. I truly miss him so much. Honestly Jon and I could have done more, but something happens when you come to this town - Laziness takes over. We accept it. I"ve loved the family time, the bonding time, the laughs, even a cry. The weather's been kickin. Jon and I are getting fatter. Its a different much slower world.
We watched the Cub game last nite. All of us have gotten pretty slaphappy from the lack of sleep. Dad, Lori, Jon and I laughed so hard last nite so many times at absolutley nothing that my side still hurts this morning. I do love when you just lose your mind entirley due to exhaustion.
Today we head to Chicago. I honestly dont know if I can do these daily blogs. I've had a computer being here at Grandads but we'll be hotel bound in Chi-Town. Jon has a laptop, but its touch and go so we'll see.
Now time to go downstairs for some Biscuits & Stuff. Quick history here - Biscuits & Stuff is the most amazing thing you will ever have. My family has been making it for decades. You only get it when Grandad makes it. I havent had it in years. Its the richest, sweetest, ridiculously fatting thing I'll ever eat. But I fucking love it. I hope you all still love me when I come home a whale!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're seriously fucking around -- a proper vacay. It's important to focus on the atavistic pleasures once in a while. Congratulations.

Amberkins said...

Yay! It sounds like you're having a great time. Even if you can't blog when you're in Chicago, write everything down and blog it when you get back!

Anonymous said...

I love all the ocean-going mammals! ;)