Saturday, August 29, 2009

San Antonio Trip Day 8...

So we groggily stumbled out of bed this morning in Fort Stockton TX and headed out after a decent free breakfast and getting gas with a bit of a dragonfly battle. Today was our longest drive, we also lost 2 hours so that made it seem even longer...lord. Lots of long desert driving and me realizing I have a bigger case of ADD then I thought. We stopped at a few random spots...the Aleka tourist spot to get gas where we checked out random chotchikes and I purchased my bag of skittles. This place has a huge set of flats set up to make it look like a town...it was cheesyily awesome. We then finally had to stop at another tourist attraction...there were a bunch of billboard advertising "The Thing". It was the same company as Aleka and others we had passed but we had to see what this one was all about. We paid our $1 to check it out. It turned out to be a 3 building set up in the back of the store of random artifacts of junk and old cars...lots of weird torture set ups..um....what was the weirdest was we realized there was a whole house...er mobile home set up as well meaning someone actually lived here. B and I decided that was actually "The Thing" and started having memories of really bad horror flicks where these teenagers are checking out some random tourist spot and get massacared. Ya. Awesome. We headed back out and finally arrived in Tucson AZ. We got a decent hotel and decided to check out the town. For dinner we braved the all you can eat sushi place (yup-sushi in the desert) and the place was f-ing packed. We actually had decent sushi and totally overdosed since it was all you can eat and decided to still check out the night life. B had noticed a band Heather Hardy that was playing at a place called The Hut. I must point out - downtown Tucson is a total hippy/college town. The place is swarming with kids in "Wildcat" shirts and other artsy indie people. Its awesome. Sort of like a mini downtown Long Beach. We waltzed our fat asses into The Hut, had a drink and after I started getting extremely annoyed and tired that it was starting way later then planned...the gal and this dude started in. They were ok. I wanted to beat the sound guys head in, but I did realize the gal was awesome. Talk about a fantastic fiddle player. We then realized they were the opening act and Heather and her band would be playing after. I seemed to get a 2nd wind ( I honestly think its just I was so past tired I was now in a weird slap happy phase) so we stayed. They were fucking awesome. The guitarist was great, Heather was great, they played some fantastic blues. There was also an adorable old couple that kept cuttin the rug everytime and upbeat song played. They were so great and romantic! Damn can they dance!!! I also would like to point out the really weird long gray haired dude that was in his own world dancing as well...he was quite entertaining. We listened to the majority of thier set and the fullness set in for B since he kept drinking beers, so we headed out. I definately plan on looking her up when I get back, cuz that gal needs to play Doheny. Now I'm over exhausted, slightly tipsy on wine and saki and ready to crash out. We head home 2morow!!!

No comments: