Wednesday, August 26, 2009

San Antonio Trip Day 4, 5 and 6

Well, figured I could combine the main conference days into 1 blog because believe me - not much happens when your at a conference. Especially a conference about a computer program. Especially a conference that has alot of geeks. No offense to these folks, they are quite proud of their geek status actually, but I just have a hard time trying to have a conversation with someone without it going into computers or how AWESOME Tessitura is. Sigh. I need a different job. But - I have a job. Blah blah. Anywhoo...
Monday was the sort of start of the conference. I realized later it wasnt the "real" start - it was a "pre-session" day. Whatev. We got up early, had a decent breakfast and headed off to my 1st session. Tuesday was actually the 1st day apparently. They had a big ol presentation after breakfast on Tue, starting with a film with clips from The Alamo and shots from the history of TX. Yawn. Then went on for waaaaaaaaaaaay too long about stuff thats just waaaaaaaaaaaay too boring to get into. This is basically how my days have gone:
I signed up for yoga, but I"m so f-ing exhausted every day I cant get up to go - so scratch that. We have breakfast, then we go to sessions. Some of these sessions I doze in. Some I do get good ideas and notes to take back with me, etc etc. We have breaks in between where they serve coffee and snacks. Then we have lunch - sometimes lunch sessions. Not a fan of these. I want to eat my damn lunch, not discuss event planning with someone having a carrot hanging out of their mouth. We then have more afternoon sessions until about 5 or 6 and then that part is done. Nights:
Monday night - B and some other co-workers left to meet a friend, me and my boss decided to go to the Tessitura dinner. We thought it was dinner. We were hungry. NO. It was a weird "block party" networking thing. We had cocktails (which of course I didnt mind) then were sent off somewhere for snacks and "networking" then to dinner and "networking". I was trying to be polite due to the fact that I was with my boss, but I loved the moment after we ate and she mentioned how sad she was she hadnt seen anything yet. I said "Well we could just go now..." Women was out the door. So we ditched out and did a little sight seeing on the Riverwalk, we did make it back to see one of our co-horts sing in the "Tessitura Chorus". Afterwards a few of us went to the hotel bar and drank and chatted with other folks. I chatted it up with a lovely fellow from London who had a nasty sense of humor like I, and we shared stories. I headed out to go back to my room when I got a panic txt from B "Help". I did notice a little gal was chatting him up when I left. I of course enjoyed this thoroughly and let him hang for a while before he somehow escaped. Ah, comedy. Tuesday night was "On our own in San Antone". Sigh. The humor of these people.....
Our CFO took us all to dinner. We found some lovely little Italian restaurant on the riverwalk, had some fab wine and fab food then wandered around a bit. Half of us ended up at the hotel bar again. My lovely co-hort consultant from Chicago was now here, so her and I shared some stories and drank. I headed back up my eyes weary from the whole thing. I think the drive was starting to get to me. Its a long damn time. Now its Wed evening and I'm bleary eyed and stupid from sessions all day and waiting for my girlfriend from HS to arrive. She's apparently a local and we insisted we had to meet up while I was here. SO, I'll be saving this as a draft and wrapping up this blog hopefully with some fab adventures from this evening....
Ok...back and slightly tipsy! :)
My high school gf and I met up at my hotel, caught up over a glass of wine and headed out. She suggested a place on the Riverwalk called Dicks...its somewhat like Ed Debevics...they are sarcastic and fun - I was of course game. We rolled in to an obnoxious gal who sold me on some pink "I love Dicks" panties...thats right and we sat down for drinks and snacks. Our waitress was fab. She's apparently moving to San Diego in October, so I totally plan on visiting the Dicks down there and showing her the photos she took of her own boobs. Yup. This place ruled. I ordered the "ghetto wine" which turned out to be some blue shit in a nasty bottle that tasted like candy. I ordered ribs, we chatted and caught up on each others lives. It was awesome. Like none of those years had past. I love her. She then dropped me off at our final Tessitura networking event where the "Tessiturians" played. Yup. We're apparently all artists who didnt quite make it and these folks put together a band. I will say this - the gal did one of the best impersanations of Janis Joplin I've ever seen. I met up with B and some fellow friends from the Center and drank even more. We hiked back to our hotel and right to the bar. We chatted and laughed and the night got late. Here I type in my last nite in a nice hotel with one more day of conferencing then off to the long ass drive home. I'll keep you posted on B and I's adventures as we trek back across a few states to my own bed I've been longing for since I left.

No comments: