Sunday, August 23, 2009

San Antonio Trip Day 2...

B and I groggily wake up Saturday morning, to of course the bathroom light not working. As I’m marching into the bathroom with the lamp for light, a dim fizzy light appears…well…this will do. Sigh. I head down after to check out the continental breakfast…its decent. I make an English muffin and grab some coffee and fruit and head back to the room. We pack up and head out back on the 10. B has a plan to stop at Saguaro National Park as a slight detour. So we pull off and drive into the middle of nowhere. We turn on the dirt road to where supposedly this national park lies..well…lets just say I’ve never been on a road so bad it makes the entire car shake. I tend to panic slightly when stuff is happening to cars that I don’t understand. Even tho B tries to convince me its ok, I cant do it. So we pull over, and I take some nice photos of the Sagauro cactus that’s closer. We stop a few more times taking random photos then get back on the highway. Benson seems like a good place to stop and grab a bite to eat. A&W sounds fun! We wonder into the combined A&W, pizza, chicken, gas station kitchy central and eat our lunch. Bad idea. Oh lord was the food bad….ugh. So we head back out now with rocks in our bellies and trek on. We cross into New Mexico. I’m starting to fade. We trade off and B takes over the driving. Not much to report on the drive really…there’s a whole lot a nuthin out there!!!! We eventually make into Texas. We breeze through El Paso. Not a pretty city. It’s a mish mash of industrial, weird things. The houses on the side of the mountain you pass look exactly like Mexico. My heart tears a bit wondering what its like to live here. Our current goal is Van Horn. We figure it’s a bit past El Paso and should help make tomorrow’s drive maybe a little less brutal. We drive and we drive and we drive. We finally roll into Van Horn and head straight to Chuy’s Mexican Food. The place is full of sighed photos of celebrities – especially John Madden – and all kinds of random things. We get our order to go due to now its 10pm here (Time jumped ahead 2 hours on us) and head back to our Econo Lodge. Now. I had noticed a few large grasshoppery things flyin around the restaurant. A bit creeped out, but whatever. B and I pull into our lodge. They are everywhere. I wait in the car and B runs to check in. As we roll around the corner to where our room is there is a fucking swarm. We pull up to our door and they are all over it. I’m of course squealing like a little girl in the car, not wanting to get out at all. B runs out and deals with the creatures so I can make a sprint to the door with our dinner. God love him he gets our luggage while I stand at the door opening and closing it strategically to avoid any of them getting in. Of course, squealing every time. Ugh. I’m not exaggerating – these are the size of small children. I’m so creeped out. But – I took the bed away from the window and I’ll cross my fingers and wish for the best!! B and I are now drinking bottled mojitos – the only alcohol available in this town and regretting Chuy’s Mexican Dinner.

No comments: