Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Liveley Lunch...

So my lovely co-worker/friend and I decide to grab fast food and go to the park for lunch today. We talked about the state of the company and what the two of were going to be doing when this place goes down in flames. We arrive at the park down the street that has an big lake and lots of ducks. I've gone here alot over the past 10 years. My other co-worker/dear friend of mine R used to eat here all the time. I thought of her as we pulled up. We get a table under the trees in the shade and are surrounded by ducks. Now, usually these feathered friends are in the lake but today they were all around us. We did have a momentary flash of the Hitchcock flick "The Birds", but they seemed to be uninterested in us. Except for one little black bird. It looked like a miniture raven. He was the loudest little fucker and made the most bizzare sounds I've ever heard come out of a bird. He hopped around us and picked fights with the ducks. At one point I hear E shout "Shoo!" Apparently our little friend landed next to her on the bench. We laughed, but kept a wary eye on him the rest of the lunch. I moved over to a rock next to the table to have stress cig, and not blow my bad habit her way. We chatted some more about the opera and the sadness of it all.
All of a sudden we hear this snap/crackle/pop noise, that sounded quite similar to fireworks, that came from the trees above. I'm starting to turn my head up in what seemed like slow motion to see what the noise was and then I hear E screaming "Move! Move! Move!". Trusting my friend I just leaped up off the rock and ran towards her as she leaped up from the table and was darting away. We turned in time to see a giant tree branch come crashing down behind the rock. I mean a HUGE branch. Like half the size of the damn tree itself. Neither of us would have been crushed if we hadnt hopped up - I may have been brushed by the end of it - but still. Scared the hell out of both of us. We laughed a little shakily, wondering what the hell happened. There was no wind, no birds up there or nothing. It was just as if the tree gave way to its lost arm. Maybe this was a sign of our company coming crashing down.....
:)

1 comment:

R-becca said...

Oh my gosh, that is so scary! hahaah...I miss that park and eating there with you. Thanks for the memories.