Friday, October 10, 2008

Live Music...




I have been so lucky the past 2 weeks. I have seen 3 bands that are fucking awesome live!!!! I've also been able to actually go, because other people paid for my tickets!!! Thanks to the boy and thanks to Daddy! I cant express enough to you readers how much I love love love good live music. I'm a huge music fan. I used to be a musician. I played piano for years and drums for even longer. I love to dance. I have a very open mind to music. There is very little I wont listen to. I absolutely love when you see raw talent onstage. Dad and I have gone to many blues festivals, jazz festivals, I've been to many many outdoor concerts and festivals, I've stumbled upon fantastic musicians in bars, clubs, on the street even!!! I love it. Music can fill up your soul. It can take you away. It can make you forget or remember. Music is life. I cant live without it. And I wont. Ever. I need it to breathe, to live, to be.

Anywhoo!

3 kick ass bands!!! Live!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


A couple of weeks ago I saw Flogging Molly at the House of Blues in Anaheim. This is one of the boys all time favorite bands. Ah yes - here's why we get along....:) I'm definatly a fan of this style of Irish/Punky Fun! The American Wake, Dropkick Murphy's, etc - love them all. Flogging Molly is one of them. I had never seen them live before and they did not disappoint! The music was tight, the energy was high, they were hilarious, talented, fantastic! I would have danced/bounced so much more if not for my damn shitty shoes I wore. We had a nice little knook off to the left, near the downstairs bar. Got to see them very close up and loved every moment.


Last Thursday I saw Gogol Bordello at The Grove in Anaheim. Now, I had not been aware of these faboo nutballs until Coachella earlier this year. Scottie had raved about them, T had as well so we caught thier set in May and I was immediatly a fan. They do remind me - in a way - of the above mentioned bands with the energy and having so much fun onstage and the bouncy nature - but these guys are RIDICULOUS! Their music is deemed - Gypsy Punk. WTF is that you ask? Its good fucking times is what it is!!! This is one of those bands that you'd rather see live. Dont get me wrong, thier albums are great and fun, but seeing them live is a completely different experience. The boy and Ber had never seen or really heard of them, so I was so excited to see thier reactions. They were both floored. They are both now fans. The boy went out and bought a CD the next day. This crew has more energy then most humans. The singer is probably 85 pounds dripping wet, yet the dude hops around like a jack rabbit on speed with the guitar as big as he is. Thier encore was 40 fucking minutes long!!!!!! They never stop. I danced the entire concert. Bouncing and spinning...it was amazing. The boy and I separated ourselves from the mass in the middle and got a perfect place where we could see and I could dance and no one was smooshing me or spilling drinks on me. I never stopped goin....


Last night I saw one of my all time faves Tower of Power, also at The Grove in Anaheim. Thank you T for catching them - Dad, Lori and I last minute got dinner/tix. I have seen T.O.P. in concert probably more then 15 times or so. I've grown up listening to them. This year is thier 40th anniversary. Thats right. T.O.P. has been bringin you soul/funk for 40 fucking years!!!!!!! These cats have the tightest horn section you will EVER hear. LB has a vocal range that is unbelievable. They are the only band I know that can play the off beat as often as they do and with the precise perfection that they do. This time around we did the dinner first, then you stay at tables to watch the show. You dont get to dance around as much, but that doesnt stop us from bouncing around in our seats like fleas on crack. They have a new album coming out in January - which of course I cant wait to get my hands on. They played a few #'s from it and I'm already in love. These guys dance, fall to thier knees and RIP IT UP! The sax solo and piano solo were the highlights -as per usual. Those 2 guys (Tom Politzer & Roger Smith) are absolutley amazing. Larry Braggs tore up "Your Still a Young Man" (why the hell did I not take that opportunity that one time with him......). As they always do - Tower of Power was phenominal!


I love to watch bands that are super talented, that have fun onstage, that put on an amazing show and all 3 of these bands do just that and more. If any of you ever get a chance to see any of these bands live - do it. You wont be sorry - I gaurantee it!!!!

1 comment:

Rose said...

I am SO happy for you! you certainly deserve to be getting out and having some fun :)