Monday, August 28, 2023

Onstage...kind of...

This last weekend I had the honor of playing the lead in my dear friend Brenda's Staged Play Reading of Daughter of Genius.

You read that right...Genius.  I was the genius.  HA HA HA HA HA HA!  At least I'm a good actor.  This took place as part of the Page to Stage (And that's what she said...) Festival.  It took place at Curtis Theater which is a really cool spot.

I was actually quite nervous for this, even though it was a staged reading, the fact that I had so many lines and most of those lines were talking about math and words I didn't even know how to pronounce or what they friggin meant!  Pat helped me with a lot of the math stuff.  I Google Pronounced a lot.  And the cast helped keep me on track.  We only had 2 rehearsals and good lord I could have used a couple more to get those damn lines down.  (I mean there were lines like infinitesimal and Themestoclea and Pythagoras....WTF!)

But once the performance was up I was told I did fantastic!  Sounded like I actually knew what I was talking about!  Yay!!  Brenda seemed super happy with it and the crowd really enjoyed it.

Right before we headed out

Back in the lights!




Worked with some really great actors!

The director set it up as a classic staged reading, so we weren't blocked out like some of the others. 

The theater also had a Barbie Box!


Heather is the one that puts this whole thing together!

Look I'm a Barbie!

Theatre has been interesting for me lately.  About a month ago I was asked to audition for the title role of this really great show.  I was super flattered to be asked.  And honestly - I would have killed it.  But I just couldn't do it.  That many lines, Irish accent, I just don't have it in me right now.  After this damn hemorrhage it does seem my brain is a little wonked.  I was super crushed and found myself crying as if I lost a friend.  I talked to my friend Amber who was very empathetic and validated how I was feeling.  I realized this was the 1st time a really great opportunity presented itself in something I used to love doing so much and I had to say no.  But then another show popped up - looked fun.  Physical comedy!  Right up my alley!  Plus it was an ensemble piece.  I researched the show and realized there was a perfect part for me.  Less of a line load but all kinds of funny stuff to do onstage.  I went out to audition and when I got there realized the role I wanted was basically already cast.  I almost left, but thought I should still audition just to exercise that muscle. I wasn't feeling 100% that night unfortunately and pretty much knowing I didn't have the role made it a bit of a rough night, but it actually felt good to be onstage again - at least trying.  I truly do miss theatre so much and I hope another show like this one pops up again that I can audition for.  

This reading followed right after, so it does seem the Universe wants me back out there.  Now if I can just get the chance...

No comments: