Tuesday, August 26, 2008

R.I.P. Charlotte Davidson


Yesterday I attended a funeral for Charlotte Davidson. She was a dear friend of my grandparents. This woman was lovely. She sent me birthday/Xmas cards every year. When Panther passed a way she sent me a sympathy card. When I was married she sent annivesary cards. She always thought of me. My last birthday was my last card from her. She was up north living with one of her daughters now, and I couldnt imagine her sending me a card in the state she was in. There it was. Her handwriting was much shakier, but there it was. Charlotte never complained. Charlotte went by Charly. Charlotte was married to Ralph who passed away much earlier then she did. Charly had 4 daughters. Charly never wasted anything - from napkins to foil, she'd re-use everything. My grandparents were friends with the Davidson's for almost 70 years. I went camping with the Davidson's many times. They were both so tall and lanky. They smiled all the time. They are now reunited. Charlotte was 92.

Yesterday was a dreadfully long day. I drove my grandparents and thier friend Corrine out to Murrietta. I drove thier car. Papa chippin at me from the back until finally Grandma turns in her seat and yells "Jami is driving Woody!!!!! Leave her be!" I laugh. When we leave the house, I load Grandma & Corrine's walkers into the back...stacking 2 walkers is not an easy feat....I fight off Papa trying to help. I help Grandma sit in the car, I help Corrine sit in the car. I help both Papa and Corrine buckle thier seatbelts. We're off. We make stops at the Post Office and Albertsons for flowers. We arrive at The Craig's house in Murrietta. I hop out of the car in heels and skirt, unloading the ladie's walkers. I beat Papa before he can help. The ladies wait for assistance - I help them out of the car into thier walkers. The woman scoot up the driveway as Papa shuffles behind. I stand there watching, my heart breaking. The Craigs hug and kiss me thanking me for bringing them. I meet 2 of thier sons, Ron and Bobby. We leave for the funeral. Ron loads his parents into his car, Bobby helps me with the ladies and Papa into ours. We arrive. Bobby helps me help the ladies out of the car and across the grass and headstones to the area. Its so hot. I mean sauna hot. The service is lovely. Little too preachy for me, and a little long. 3 of the 4 daughters are there and they do a darling little "What we loved about Charly" number. Lots of tears and laughter. Harold Craig stands up and tries to talk...he cries...we all cry. Grandma says memories...she cries...we all cry. Sweating, exhausted, wiping away tears Bobby and I help the ladies back into the car. We all head to lunch. Maybe about 30 of us go to Ritchies. Charlotte used to love this place. We have lunch, visit, exchange memories, laugh cry. I'm constantly helping my 3 with ordering, sitting, repeating, etc. Its time to leave. I snap a shot of Charlotte's daughters. We hug, we kiss. I promise the Craig's I'll bring Grandma and Papa back down to visit. And I will. I help the ladies to the restroom. I pull the car up, load in the ladies and the walkers, help with the seatbelts, hit the road. I get home by 4pm or so. I collaspe on my bed and cry. Its hard to love people so much it hurts.
Charlotte Davidson, 92 MURRIETA/WASHINGTON -- Charlotte Davidson, 92, passed away Thursday, August 14, 2008, at home with her family at her side. She was preceded in death by her husband of 60 years, Ralph. We rejoice that they are now united in Heaven and celebrating with many friends who have gone ... She will be greatly missed by her four daughters, Jeanne, Mary Ann, Pam and Cindi and their husbands; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Charlotte has left us a tremendous legacy and example in how she faced all of life's circumstances with strength and dignity, never complaining and always focused on others more than herself. The family requests no flowers but any memorial gifts may be sent to Nomad Charities, 115 NW Oregon Ave., Suite 22, Bend, OR 97701, earmarked for Gail's House ~ an orphanage in Kenya that had a very special place in her heart.

No comments: