Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Baseball Bitch


No I dont totally follow the teams. I actually dont really care to watch baseball on the TV. But I love the sport. I used to play. Softball actually, in high school. This sport tore my knee to shreads ruining my tennis scholarship and sports career forever. But I love it. I tried again 2 years ago to join a co-ed league - 1st practice shattered (not broke....shattered) my finger. Oh GAWD my accident prone life.....directors now wont let me play....but I love the sport. I'm a die-hard Cub fan. Yup - the cursed team. I dont care. Cubs are my team. Period. I love to watch baseball games live. Most sports actually, but baseball. Love it. So here's where the bitch begins.....

Last night we had Angels tickets. Got a hookup, sat in great club seats at Anaheim Stadium to watch the Angels play the Mariners. I'm not an Angels fan. I'm a Cubs fan. Amber's not an Angels fan she's a Dodgers fan. Susy's....well....Susy was just glad to get out. But Amber and I like to watch baseball. Period. But my heart broke last nite as I sat in this corporate nightmare.

Anaheim Stadium looks like a fucking mall. There is Panda Express, Carls Jr., CPK, etc etc etc - maybe about 15 different "Food Chains" there. There's a waterfall that ejaculates water spouts in between innings. Fireworks are shot into the sky if the Angels hit a homerun (Which of course made me jump a foot out of my seat because I was not expecting the 4th of July). Commercials -YES FUCKING COMMERCIALS - are played in between innings. (When a commercial for a spanish soap opera was played I wanted to kill myself), The stadium is spotless, there's Angel Whores that blast T-shirts at you from cannons, little constant sponsor games, you could order sushi for gods sake!!!!! This is not baseball. This is a corporate circus. Going to the baseball game has turned into basically the same thing as going to an amusement park.

I'm eternally grateful and blessed to have been able to attend a REAL baseball game a few weeks ago in Chicago. Yup - you all know it - Wrigley Field. This is baseball. REAL FUCKING BASEBALL. The Cub fans are nuts. They are in every moment of the game. EVERY MOMENT!!! I bet the Angels fans didnt even know what the fucking ball count was....

The Cub fans are true fans. Its as if they're part of the team. If there's a bad call - trash is thrown onto the field and they even have a little crew that picks it up. They had to hire a crew because this happens all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When the coach is screaming at the umpire - so is the entire stadium. If the opposing team hits a homerun THEY THROW THE BALL BACK ON THE FIELD!!! There's vendors selling beer and hotdogs and peanuts. They're obnoxious and fun. Its an intimate field. The apartments in back have built bleachers on top of the buildings to watch the games!!!! The fans know all the players names, stats, probably favorite color. Whether your a Cub fan or not - you go crazy at one of these games. You cant help but get into the game, get excited, find yourself screaming obscenties at the other team. THIS IS BASEBALL. True - to the heart - fan crazy - BASEBALL!!!!!!

Anaheim Stadium is a fucking circus. Wrigley Field is baseball.

The worst part of this whole blog, is Wrigley will also be probably going corporate next year. They're one of the few standing stadiums left that hasnt, but they'll succumb. It rips me apart. Its taking away the true art form of sports. Is there going to be anything left for us or will Corporate America continue to crush our ideals all our childhood memories all of real life!!!!!

No comments: