Sunday, November 6, 2016

A very meaningfull tattoo...

I finally got it.

I finally got the extravagant tattoo that I have been wanting to get.

This tattoo represents my survival of a subarachnoid hemorrhage that only 10% of people survive from.  This tattoo represents that 5-7% of people don't have after effects (memory loss, muscle loss, etc).  This tattoo represents that I came back with a vengeance leaving death behind.  And this tattoo represents the person I have become since that horrible Wednesday evening on June 6, 2012.  I am stronger.  I have a new outlook on life.  I have risen from the ashes of my old life, survived the fire and came out of the flames a happy human ready to laugh and to love more than ever.  Just like the Phoenix.  

I've always loved what the Phoenix represents.  In fact, in 2013 Ryan took it upon himself to add a special award for me that now represents people who have had challenges and overcome throughout the year.  If you need a reminder of that you can read it here.  

It took me a bit because I wanted to find the right artist.  I had a great guy I liked that did my dragon tattoo back in 2006 but he moved to Norway.  So I was on the hunt.  I wanted to find someone who I could tell them why I wanted this and have them design it.  I asked around.  Researched some suggestions.  Then I came across Tisha Tattooing.  She was referred by a friend of mine and I started following her on Instagram.  If you'd like to follow her also, her handle is tisha_tatooing.  I watched her feed for awhile and was quite impressed.  Almost a year ago I decided I wanted to get a small tribute tattoo in honor of my Papa.  I figured this would be a perfect test run to see if I like her.  I did.  She's super sweet, ridiculously talented and very fair in price.  I booked a consult for my Phoenix in July of this year.

My friend Ber joined me since she's also thinking of getting her next piece and wanted to discuss it with her.  I showed Tisha a few pictures of placement ideas and kind of what I wanted.  We all agreed that a circular like design would compliment the dragon nicely. 

Little bigger than I was thinking....

I booked my 1st session in August.  Libby joined me to keep me company and distracted.  I started out in the chair and then later moved to the table.  The whole session took almost 3 1/2 hours.  Unfortunately when I sat up I was super dizzy and ended up vomiting in the bathroom, on my way out and 4 times when I got home.  So that was awesome.  It also fucking hurt.  Now don't get me wrong - it's not Tisha, she's actually got a really light hand, I just must be getting to be more of of wussy in my old age.


Tisha sized it down a bit. 

We begin!
Lots of detail!
Lil B&W action

It was a long day

Still smiling

It was really starting to hurt at this point

All finished for today!
I was trying not to barf again here...


I made my 2nd session for the Monday after my show opened, hoping to get it all finished up.  She surprised me when she said she was going to do color.  Yay!  I had originally thought we weren't able to do color but I guess we can!  This session took almost 4 hours and FUCKING HURT!  The last hour I really wanted to die.  I stayed in the chair the entire time as to avoid possible barfing.  (Not sure if the laying flat screwed me up).  I also didn't eat or drink any wine and brought some almonds to snack on.  This time Robin accompanied me and made sure I took breaks and stayed cool.  I was very worried I was going to get sick again but luckily I didn't.


Time for round 2!

Finished for today.  One more session and it'll be done!
We didn't take as many pictures this time, but Tisha did ask me to do a little Instagram video on her phone.  So here's my lame attempt at doing one of these for the 1st time! ha ha! 
VIDEO


Session 3

Cori was my tattoo buddy for the final session, but she couldn't stay the whole time.  Bummed but glad she was there part of the time!   Figured we didn't need more similar pictures of me getting tattooed but took this shot and posted it announcing my last session!


The last session seemed less painful than the 1st couple.  Although that damn tail.  Yowzer!  That's apparently my sensitive spot.  We went about 3 hours or so on the last one and my heart soared when Tisha said "All done!"

HELLO GORGEOUS!

I'm so happy with it.  Tisha is an incredible artist. This is her original design.  Here's our tattoo is done selfie!

All healed up!  Miss Brenda came over and did a little final tattoo photo session and here is the finished product!!









A huge thank you to Libby, Robin and Cori for sitting with me during my sessions, a big thank you to Brenda for coming over to photograph it and of course thank you to Tisha - you are truly and amazing artist and this piece is more beautiful than I ever could have imagined.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing story and beautiful tattoo Jami, can't wait to see it in person. When I have the $ Tisha is totally doing my heart tattoo. Love you!