Monday, September 26, 2016

DeathTrap Run...

This will be posted after we're closed but I'm starting it now.

We opened!!!!

We had a helluva rough and frustrating Tech Week but that's why it's called Hell Week right?  Anywhoo - the damn thing is up and seems to be well received so far!

Here's our publicity shots:

Michael Keeney as Porter and Thom Gilbert as Sidney

Myself as Helga Ten Dorp, Jackie Melbourn as Myra and Thom as Sydney

No, I'm not grabbing her boob

Die Keeney!

Will I predict your future?

Thom as Sidney and Lucas Gust as Clifford

I don't know why I love this picture so much
I kinda look high
DeathTrap Cast

What stunned the hell out of me was opening weekend was pretty much sold out!  What?!  Right?  Opening night was great.  Yes, there were stumbles and line flubs but the crowd loved it!  It was so awesome to hear laughter and the oooos & aaahhs as the reveals happened.  My friend Noel surprised me and came that evening.  He loved it!  Sat night Jill Carey (Our Gertrude in S&A) came and supported and Sunday our friend Christine came!  So that was awesome.

I find myself now running backstage when the reveals happen to see if the audience reacts.  I love it!

I'm pretty bored backstage which makes for some fun photos!  Here's opening weekend shots:

Costumes just chillin

Scary Lucas!

Backstage Shenanigans

We're backstage the most.  We get bored.

Cast Wall
Great start!

Weekend 2 - another 3 performances of full houses!  Friday night was a little rough, but the 1st Friday back always seems to be.  A friend of mine from work and her hubs came and they loved it!  So guess the rough spots didn't show!  Saturday night was probably our best show yet - Lucas was on fire and it just felt good.  Sunday matinee brought my biggest crowd - Ma, Keri, Taylor, Rick and Justin and his roomie who came all the way down from Glendale!!!  Hearing Rick laugh almost through me a few times. Everyone really enjoyed it they said.  Afterwards we all went to Karl Strauss for a lovely dinner!   Another old co-worker of mine came on Friday night and she posted something really nice and emailed me:

Post: Saw a fun play, "Death Trap," at the small Attic theater in Santa Ana yesterday. Very well done and we thought the psychic did a particularly good job! This is one of those small local theaters that deserves to be supported. It's the friendliest place and no bad seats. We paid the modest full price because we wanted specific seats and like to support the theater, but you can get discounted tickets on Goldstar. Warning, it's hard to find with a Fairview address but the theater is facing Segerstrom and set well back from the street.

Email: You did a wonderful job in the Death Trap yesterday. My husband kept extolling your acting skills ("she's a natural actress") all the way home. That's a huge compliment coming from him as he's not easily impressed by anyone's acting skills.

Another bit of praise shared by Jack: Someone came up to me yesterday and said they saw it at Long Beach Playhouse and really didn't like it - couldn't even remember the cast or the plot. However, he loved our production.
Also, there is a man who has directed at the Attic many times and I got this email:
Wow!
We enjoyed the show so much. Acting, directing, sets -- all amazing. Please pass along our raves to the cast and crew. There have been so few small cast shows at The Attic. Wonderful the see The Attic do something different. And so well.


So nice right?! 

I didn't take many pics this weekend but did get a couple when I finally got all our cast together for a few min and convinced them to do a group selfie!




 
One more weekend to go!

And here we are - another show in the books.

Closing weekend shots:

Jackie always brought yummy snacks.  I may have gained 10 pounds


Backstage now adays.  Everyone on their phones.

Clifford getting murdered - or was he?

Last time Helga is heading out

Jackie's "I'm finished!" pose

My favorite picture of the entire run


Last weekend was fantastic.  Full houses again!  Friday night my boss and a couple of co-workers came.  We met for dinner at Seasons 52 beforehand but I jetted out early.  Then Melissa, Anna and I got drinks at Karl Strauss after.  They all dug the show!

Saturday night Libby, Glen, Glen's Sis Anita and Hailey all came.  I was a bit worried Hailey may be bored but they all really liked it!  When I was chatting with them about the play being a little boring for Hailey, Anita said "Maybe - but because you were in it, she dug it.  Her eyes got big everytime you came onstage.".  My heart swelled.  Then Lib said she was on the edge of the seat everytime I was out there.  So rad.  I love that she can see me in shows now!

Sunday close was lovely.
Dad, Terri, Robin and her date all came!  Yay!  Terri brought me an awesome little skull wine topper for my presie!  Almost a sold out crowd!  I think they may have been the most responsive as well.  Lots of laughs and gasps.  Terri, Dad and I hit up Pueblo afterwards which was delish!!!

Happy, Full and Tipsy!
This show was a bear getting up.  I'm not going to lie - the rehearsal process was not the best.  BUT - the cast rallied and kicked ass.  I really did adore working with these folks.  Everyone was super professional, super cool and did great work.  I'm thrilled to have made some more friends and contacts.  The show had a really successful 3 week run.  I'm sure the Attic Theatre is appreciative of the money we brought in for them.  Jack thanked us all on the closing performance as did Kathy.  Both of them very heartfelt and sincere.  We closed with a bang and I'm so glad the performances were successful and fun!  So long Helga Ten Dorp!  It was fun playing you and making people laugh!

Little notes from some of the cast.  Farewell Deathtrap!




No comments: