Sunday, August 29, 2010

Foodie Fest...

So T, JJ, Cumby and Petey decided to check out the Foodie Fest 2010 in the Honda Center parking lot. It boasted of 50 gourmet food trucks, arts & crafts and bands. At $12 a ticket we thought - what the hell. We deemed it Roachella.
We all met at Starbucks down the street, and enjoy the fabulous very random butterfly haven and Cumby informs us its sold out. WTF. T, JJ and I had bought tix online, but Petey and Cumby were sans tix. We decided to risk it and try to find someone with extra tix. If fail - Petey and Cumby hit the movies. We all head out, pay $5 to park down the street a ways and trek on over. Cumby sees 2 ladies leavin - she returns w/thier tix hoping for a miraculous re-entry rule. Of course you cant. We stand around for a bit trying to come up with a plan and JJ heads over to the folks who scan your tix. A few min later she's waving us over. We walk in, the scanner gal makin a funny "oops" face when Cumby/Petey's tix were obviously pre-scanned. We find out JJ pulled out a sob story about disabled parking and didnt know about no re-entry, and our disabled friend, etc etc. Petey was proud his stroke helped us out. So here we are.
We get in line at one of the trucks. The lines are RIDICULOUS. I'm starving, so I start line jumping thinking I keep finding shorter lines, of course I dont so I finally stay in Maui Wowy. The others are still in line at Cart for a Cause. Half way thru my line I realize its a smoothie truck. DAMMIT. I need real food - so I hop over to Krazy BBQ. The others find me - T brings me a taco, knowing I'm goin to start murdering people if I dont eat. (We decide Cart for a Cause has the best set up because its a pre-set up meal - 2 tacos, cerviche, a cookie and a drink - gives you a sample of thier food and it moves along quickly) She joins me in line and the others head out to the pizza truck. After what seemed like a decade we get our short rib sammich and polish hot dog and head to the beer garden. The others are still in Pizza Truck line (Slice Truck was its actual name). Cumby had re-joined them with a sushi meal from a sushi truck. T and I pop a squat in a smidge of shade on the ground and eat our meals. So good but so messy! We have our 1st drink. "Where are the others?!" Apparently Slice Truck took longer then Krazy BBQ and they finally joined us what seemed over an hour later. At this point we were a little annoyed and not sure if we wanted to stay. Quite some time later after many many laughs in the Beer Garden where we discovered that us 4 girls could actually rule the world (Cumby is our magic touch, T is the enabler, JJ will do anything for $1 and I'm the heavy) we head out. We hit the Cultura Y Mas booth and drool over the lovely items. They frequent Santa Ana Art area - so we hold out on purchases. Then Cumby and I have some hippie bonding at booth that sells scenty sprays. I hit up Fishlips Truck and try thier sushi (It was ok) and chatted with a poor fellow who has been trying to hit up the Ludo Truck multiple times and always miss it - then here they drive down from LA just to find they sell out. Petey and I are heading towards another truck when Cumby and T appear with coconut waters that the Coconut truck swears they were out of when Cumby promptly reached in and apparently pulled out the last 2 ones. She's got the touch. We now find ourselves in line at the Crepe's truck and T appears with a burrito from Calbi that sent her over the edge. JJ appears with a Pastrami sammich which I promptly follow her back to Lee's Philly truck to get myself one - this puts me over the edge. We're noticing the lines are much shorter, but alot of the trucks are selling out of thier food. The crowds are thinning out and its dying quite quickly and its not even 6pm yet. (Its supposed to go till 7) We give up crepes since the line would not move and Cumby appears with chicken wings and potatoes - this was the end. We all now are about to keel over and die from all the food we have stuffed in our faces the whole day. JJ in fact states she's about to poop out a house. We head out and say goodbye to JJ while the rest of us crowd around a table at JT Schimids and enjoy a couple of cocktails. I'm falling asleep at the table due to major lack of sleep the night before and we again enjoy plenty of laughter. We head out and I promplty crash out before 9pm.
All in all it was a decent day. Lee's Philly was by far my favorite. Seriously some of the best pastrami I have ever eaten. The Krazy BBQ was pretty damn good as well. I know T was a fan of her Calbi burrito and if you like thin oily pizza - The Slice Truck is for you. This was thier 1st year, so they definatly have some bugs to work out but I'd say it was a fun event for sure! Not sure if I'd hit again due to the amount of time you have to wait, unless they somehow improve that, but it was a pretty damn fun day with some fantastic company!

No comments: