Thursday, February 25, 2010

WBOD...February 25...

Write about a tattoo
I've gone back and forth for years about whether I wanted a tattoo or not. This is something that is permanatly inked onto your body for all eternity. I knew whatever I got I wanted something with meaning. I've tossed around the idea of getting the comedy/tragedy sign on me since theater is such a big part of my life. I've thought about getting the original Lewis Carroll Cheshire Cat since I've loved that story since I was a little girl. Then I read and researched the Pisces Dragon. I definatly have the Pisces characteristics, but there was always another part of me that was different, that was more fierce then just the Pisces girl. I studied Chinese Astrology and realized there was the other side of me - The Dragon. Thats what I wanted. I wanted a Dragon holding a Pisces symbol. Its me. The Pisces side - the dreamer, the romantic, the sensative girl as well as The Dragon - the firey, hot tempered, driven girl. Perfect.

Of course I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator (hello Pisces) and took a while to get around to it. My 30th birthday was coming up and my brother who is a walking coloring board - got bit by the tattoo bug years ago wanted to get my very 1st tattoo for my 30th birthday present. This was perfect. My brother whom I love so dearly, a birthday that is a somewhat of a stepping stone, a tattoo I've wanted for some time now...perfect.

Not long after turning 30, my brother made and appointment with his regular artist to ink up his sister, get some work done himself, and brought along another friend to have work done on a current piece he has. Me and the 2 boys headed down to Seal Beach one balmy July afternoon.

We roll into this hole in the wall tattoo parlor and I start flipping through the different drawings of dragons. I had decided on my lower back, just a small piece. The sound of the buzzing as some fellow was getting inked before me. I flipped through the book, butterflies starting to flutter around in my stomach at the unknown. Jason came over and asked what I thought - I showed him a few options and explained what I wanted. "Hmmmmm" he pondered. "Let me draw up another idea". I watched as he whipped out a thin piece of paper and in about 10 minutes drew up this beautiful circular Dragon holding the Pisces symbol in the middle. "See, the circular looks less like tramp stamp" (lovely I thought). "Its a little bigger then I was thinking" I mumbled. (Actually it was about 4 times the size I was thinking) "Come J! Go big or go home!" My brother shouted excitedly. "Your a McCoy!". "Alright!". My palms started to sweat.

We all sat outside for a while chatting and what not. "Ummm..How many beers is that Jason? Your inking me up here in a minute" I pointed out a bit wary. "Its all good!" he said. Jesus, I thought to myself. "Lets do this!" he said. We went back inside, and he had me straddle a chair backwards and lift up my shirt. He started. Shane and Ryan watched with anticipation the first jab I took from the ink gun. It actually wasnt bad. Somewhat uncomfortable but not painful. He continued on. "Thats right!" Shane shouted! "She takes it like a McCoy!". There were a few spots I jumped on...the spine, the very lower back that were a little painful, but still not so bad. This is nothing, I thought. An hour later he stopped. "Ok, lets take a break and we'll finish up". We all stepped outside for a cig and Shane warned me the shading will sting a bit more then the lining. Whatever I thought - this is nothing!! So we head back inside, and he starts in again. At this time now, there's another fellow getting his calf done, and I'm watching the blood trickle down his leg. Interesting. YOWWWWZEER!!!!! Jason has begun again and HOLY HELL!!!! this hurts! Slayer is playing in the background and I think Jason is shading to the beat. I'm not gonna cry. I grip the chair tighter and tighter. Explicitives start rolling out of my mouth, but no tears. Buzz, wipe, buzz, wipe, buzz, wipe. "What are you wiping?" I ask. "The blood" Jason responds. Wonderful. Buzz, wipe, buzz, wipe - this goes on for another hour. I'm watching the clock...tick...tick..tick. Throughout the process random people are walking in and marveling at the job Jason is doing carving into my back. Everytime Shane puffs up and says "This is my sister's 1st tattoo!!! I got it for her birthday!". Every f-ing person responds "Wow! Go big or go home!". I'm thinking this is the tattoo phrase for the day. WTF. Buzz, wipe, buzz, wipe. I'm dying. No tears. Shane and Ryan are throwing words of encouragement every now and again, but I'm just gripping the shit out of that chair and watching the blood drip down my other victims leg. Good GAWD. Jason stops, I start to get up. "No, no I'm just gonna do a little highlighting" he says. "I'm good! Fuck the highlights!". "3 minutes" he promises. I sit back down and watch every single second of those 3 minutes.
Finally
Done.
He puts some balm on and tells me to keep my shirt lifted. I step back as he starts to work on Ryan - WHO CRIES! (He was getting some crazy work done on his side) I'm so glad he went after me. A few days after it felt like a bad sunburn just as my bro had warned and I did have some knarly bruises on my thighs and arms from gripping the shit out of the chair. I healed perfectly, and no touch ups needed.
I have to admit - it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought, and was probably one of the best bonding moments I've had with my brother. Now I have a beautiful original piece on my lower back that still gets compliments and admiration and means so much to me.
I may still get my comedy/trajedy but dont worry folks...I have not been bitten. No more then 2 for Miss Jami.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Crazy, cool story. I always wondered what that whole experience would be like. Thanks for writing this, Jami!