Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Slings and Arrows Opened!!!

Holy Hell the day finally arrived!!!  I still can't believe it!

My last blog about summed up my whirling mind, and it didn't slow down or ease up after that.  We had some last minute things thrown at us.  Such as - the repeated "room scenes" - we now just do on a loop for 35 minutes in Act 1 and 25 minutes in Act 2.  Non stop.  Friday night we had to watch clocks which was such a clusterfuck, then Sat night they changed to someone would give us the cut off sign.  This has been the biggest complaint so far.  I'll get to that in the feedback later on in the blog.  Casa also added a shit ton of chairs.  Now - this is fine and all, but in the opening Courtyard scenes they set it up like a wedding.  We didn't block the show that way, so now a bunch of stuff happens off to the side that a lot of people miss.  They also added way more in my Mad Scene and I've had to adjust dramatically. (Pun intended).  But other than that - We fucking did it!

Here was a "Final Dress" shot;



I also was all "done up" for the 1st time.  Here's me after I kill myself:


Thursday night we had about 15 or so volunteers be our 1st audience.  This was the 1st time we ran the show like we were supposed to.  They would walk in and out of scenes, it not mattering where we were in the scene (for the room scenes).  This is also where I realized how physically demanding it was going to be.  Doing the very physical Nunnery scene 6 times in a row, then running up the stairs into the bathroom to change, muss up hair, etc for the mad scene, run straight into the mad scene which is also physical then doing a marathon around the estate back to the green room so Pete or Amanda can bloody me up for my suicide scene.  Oh. My. God!  We got good feed back from the volunteers, they really seemed to dig it!  We also got our rad press shots that Benjamin Tyrell took.  Check them out!
Rick Kopps and Jeffrey Kieviet in the Gravedigger Scene

My suicide scene

Adam Poytner as Shadow Hamlet #2 in the 1st set of room scenes

The most uncomfortable part of the Gertrude/Hamlet scene!

Me in the Nunnery Scene

Bryan Jennings as Claudius

Jeffrey Kieviet and Jill Cary Martin in the closet scene

Craig Johnson as Laeretes lip syncing a punk song

Jeremy Holm in the Shadow Play

Alexander Marc Makardish as Rosencrantz

Rad death scene!

So Friday comes.  I'm a wreck.  Jill and I leave around 2 and head down to San Clemente to check into the condo.  Easy Peasy. Here's our view:

We unpacked, got settled and chilled a bit before walking up to Casa Romantica.  It was like a 5 min walk.  Rad.  Everyone had the opening night jitters and the Casa Crew was running around getting everything set up.  Well - here we go!!!

It was fantastic!  People raved.  A few take aways I heard were about the looped room scenes - this was really the only main and most common complaint.  People were bummed to miss scenes.  A lot of people weren't able to get to all 6 scenes in Act 1 and/or all 5 scenes in Act 2.  During the last loop of my suicide scene on Friday night, Dave had to actually come in and cut it off.  The people were vocally upset.  I got a lot of complaints afterwards about this.  Especially because what a bunch of people would do is come part way, then stay to watch the part they missed.  Well this puts them sort of behind.  In fact, one set of my friends that came Friday night were super upset because they actually missed my suicide scene.  My only hope is that people will give that feedback to the Casa because that was their decision, not ours.  We rehearsed thinking people were going to be led in groups to each scene.  Oh well.

Other than that, I think it rocked!  People had a blast out front with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.  It sounds like they have quite the little floor show they do out there.  The crowd seemed to enjoy the courtyard stuff and laughed at appropriate times and seemed to enjoy themselves.  I heard lots of reactions during my mad scene (especially when I fall...cracks me up every time) and people really seemed moved by my suicide scene.  Our nunnery scene is probably the most beautiful since Brenda and I are out on the cliff and the view is just breathtaking.  I think that's where most the stalker pics are taken.  (below are those).

I got lots of sweet compliments!  My performance was so powerful, Good choice on Golden Slumbers, I was so moved, Your mad scene was incredible, Poor Ophelia, ...these were just a few.  One volunteer came up to me and squeezed my hands saying I was so wonderful but she wanted to hug me the whole time!  Ber said she was so proud of me.  Becks said it's the best thing she's ever seen me do.  I almost cried. My co-workers raved about my performance.  I'm so happy!!!  Yay!!!

Other favorites were the Hamlet/Gertrude closet scene (This is one of my favorites too!).  Everyone seems to love Jeffrey.  Lots of love for Brenda (In fact, some say she should just be Hamlet in another production someday),  I've heard great compliments for Jill as well.  Yay for the ladies!  The final death scene is a favorite as well.  People love the rose petals and the epic death scenes!  My boss said she is not a fan of The Bard, but we got her to love Hamlet.  The setting is also a star in of itself.  People just can't get over it and how can you.  It's gorgeous!

Lots of people took pictures.  I of course nabbed them when I saw the.  Check them out:

Someone named Vicki took these:


My coworker Max took this one:
Another coworker Tami took this one:
Then Saturday night when they decided to have someone assigned to areas to help with the cut off times, Dave was assigned to us and took this lovely shot


Another shot Dave took of our packed mad scene!




Then my friend Robin took a bunch during the mad scene and the nunnery scene:









I have to admit, it's been pretty funny seeing all these pictures pop up all over the place! Ha ha ha!!

Also a great article came out in the OC Weekly.  Thanks Joel!!
OC Weekly Article

Then found another link with a bunch of pictures!
Article

But all in all it's been fucking awesome!  This is the most challenging role I've ever played.  Between the mad scene and then my suicide scene that I have to loop for 25 minutes, I am emotionally destroyed.  I've found I can bring myself to quite a level of emotion I never thought I could do.  It's rough, but hopefully makes for some good theatre!  It's a trip trying to work around the people coming in and out of the bathroom in a constant stream but it's super cool and so intimate. 

Our costumer is there every night fixing tears and rips and she's rad.  Her and Pete are a huge help playing the roles of stage manager, prop person, makeup peeps, etc.  The Program Director Bethany who works for the Casa is fucking awesome.  She is so on top of everything and has made the last few days and our performances run as smoothly as can be. Jill does my hair every night, sticking those damn blue hair extensions in.  I adore the cast and Dave and we've come such a long way!

This whole experience has been so damn awesome.  I'm so glad I documented this as much as I did.  I may or may not do a final post.  We do have 2 more shows next weekend.  It seems unreal!  I really hope I get the opportunity to do something like this again.  It's been so beautiful, so adventurous, so unique, so new!  I feel I've found new levels in my acting and performance and  - wow! What a great way to return to the stage!!!!

I'm also stoked I booked the condo for the weekend.  Jill, Brenda and I had a lovely time bonding, relaxing, and having some seriously deep rad conversations.  We lovingly refer to ourselves as the condo comrades.  I got some beach time:

It was like an adult slumber party.  I bought little turtles for the girls as silly gifts to remember.  I hope they do.  The ladies of Slings and Arrows lived it up opening weekend!  Brenda headed out earlier on Sunday but Jill and I had a yummy breakfast with seriously I think the best lox bagel I have ever had!



And that was it!

It comes to an end.  A 10 day stretch of tech week then performances full of stress, terror, excitement, anger tummies and pure craziness, followed by condo time at the beach.  Now back to reality.

I've missed this.  I really have.  I won't be jumping into a zillion shows back to back but damn will I be back onstage soon.  Like I said - I think 2 shows a year would be ideal.  It has felt so amazing to be doing this again.  Meeting some fantastic new actors and growing closer to others.  I'd say I have no words, but here I am rambling on and on and on.  I can't help it.  I'm glowing. 

Damn this felt good!  I can't wait to do 2 more performances this weekend!








No comments: