Sunday, January 12, 2020

Urban Adventure Quest at The Getty...

I love Justin.
I love The Getty.
I love Scavenger Hunts...I mean...HALLO GEOCACHER!
So today was all that combined into one!

Justin and I try to get together once a month at least, and have what we call a Play Day.  Sometimes we just hang and wander but sometimes we plan little adventures.  Today was an adventure!

Justin got a deal for one of those Urban Quest Scavenger Hunts.  We've done a few different ones but we both prefer the ones like today's that have a puzzle quality to them and make them a bit more challenging.  We had so much fun!

We rolled into the Getty just after it opened and Justin started the "Quest".  17 questions.  "That's it?!" I say.  We chuckle, then not long after we started realized that 17 was more than enough! Ha ha ha ha!!

I tried to document best I could - so come along on our Scavenger Adventure!

So due to my head thing we had to walk up the Getty Hill.  Do you know what that is?  Do you realize it was just after the holiday?  Do you know how hard it is to try to read directions out loud to each other while walking and wheezing up the hill?  We started out our day in our usual humorous self deprecating fashion.

Our starting point - then we had to walk 11 tiles..10 tiles...etc and enter the word behind you.

Well that's not very exciting.

Next task took us out to the outside map.  We had to decipher some words, through braille then figure out two words out of the collection of words...or something...Ha!  It took us a minute but we got it!

My map ended up being a main thing we used for notes figuring things out


About this time we already were realizing that 17 questions was going to take us a while.  We also realized between the hill and all the damn steps we were going up and down, we might die.

OMG what question are on?
Next led us to a painting that we had to stare at and find the 2 differences in the app from the Painting.  This took us way longer than it should have - but Justin found then both.

"Where the fuck are the differences?!?!?" is basically what I was whispering angrily over and over again


The next task took us to another room full of paintings.  We had to go from painting to painting finding a certain 5 last names then find them in this word search that would then lead us to the final painting that we'd get our answer to submit.  The museum guards were watching us closely wandering what the hell we were doing....

Our final painting

Justin got all fancy with his photo app

The next task had us looking for a certain 4 clocks.  We then had to put the time in order.  Let me tell you....there's a shit ton of clocks in this building.

The clock with the Asian Men and children playing

The one with the golden donkey

The Monkey and Dragon clock

The sunflower clock

There were also bonus questions every now and again.  One of these led us to the cactus garden and we had to find out the name of the round cacti.

FYI these are called Barrell Cacti





Now - here's just a couple of pictures because I like this area of The Getty.


I love this shot
I love us

About this time we got side tracked needing snacks and fluid.

Back at it we were sent to this painting and had to find the person with the blue tall hat (they almost all have fucking tall blue hats) with the red base and report the color of the scarf.  We stared at this damn thing forever.  I whipped out my glasses.  Stared.  Stared.  Justin finally found the damn thing after we broke down and took a hint.

F this one




The next task pissed us off, because there was supposed to be a phone number on this plaque and there wasn't.  We did report it to the app people but dammit we totally would have got this right but it wasn't our fault so we had to skip.  Lame.

There was no phone number you bitches!!!


The next few tasks brought us down to the garden area which I looooove!

We had to count how many posts went into the ground on these trees

Ok, we had to count 90 degree angles getting through the maze.  We did not do very well on this one.....

I really do love this friggin garden!






Find the message in the stone....
 We got to wander over to this outside sculpture garden which I actually have never made it too.  We basically had to again find last names, do some word scrambles and figuring things out and what not.  We nailed it.

My notes helping us figure out the answers




There was another bonus question around this time which I got right!  Let's just say when I said the TV Show Friends after 10 minutes Justin realized I was right. Ha!


We then walked up the zig zag path and had to find the right numbered bridge to match this boulder...yet the boulder pictures kept disappearing.  Sigh.  I also forgot to take a picture because we were so hell bent trying to figure it out.

After a bunch of clues the answer was what is fossilized in the ground!  A leaf!

Our resting place after finishing!
We plopped down after probably about 2 1/2 hours or so.  We checked out the leader board of the last 30 days and we were 3rd place!!!!!  Now - we both agree we would have been 2nd (based on the point total) had that damn phone task not been bunk.  But we kicked ass!!!!  So proud of us!

There was then a Virtual Cache which I of course had to score - which I did and we headed out.

We landed at a new Chinese Restaurant near his place and had a wonderful late lunch/early dinner.

I really am finding I love doing stuff like this!  Justin and I had so much fun!!  It was a perfectly lovely Sunday Funday!!!

No comments: