Tuesday, August 15, 2017

3 State Road Trip 2017 Arizona...



Today is the 1st day of  Roadtrip 2017!

Jon is retiring from the Air Force (WTF how is that possible) and said it’s quite the to-do.  I thought…"Hey, the Grand Canyon is kind of on the way, maybe we could do a roadtrip.”  The boy was down and planned a good portion of it!

So – Day 1:

We rolled out of bed quite early and exited OC around 6:30ish or so in the a.m.   

Here we go!

Nary a bit a traffic which was awesome and we were out in Indio before you knew it.  The boy wanted us to stop at TKB Bakery out in Indio that is apparently a 5 star Yelp joint.  It was a tiny place in an industrial area and seriously, you would not know where it was.  Such a trip.  But hot damn – delicious food!  Since we got there so early, I got me a breakfast sammie.  Everything so fresh and yum!  The boy– a jalapeno roast beast sammie.  So good.

Of we went and there was another spot in Quartsite, AZ called T-Rocks that The boy wanted to show me.  If you want any sort of rock/geode/stone/crystal/glass or other odd little items, this is the place to stop.  Holy shit.  So much fun weird stuff.  I picked up a few knick knack gifts for friends and some odd little stones for possible craft projects. Had it not been 105 degrees I would have loved to scavenge more.  My bank account thanked me and off we went. 


Now, this was the long stretch of the drive.  The boy and I had some good discussions and chatted the whole way.  We started rolling into the Jerome/Precott area of Arizona and it’s godamn beautiful!  But the fucking mountain roads! ACK!  I was driving the boys beast truck the whole way and was doing quite well until we hit the swirly twirly small mountain roads.  My anxiety was through the roof and my “condition” was wanting to act up.  Thank GAWD I wasn’t a passenger.  We did pull off and snap a view shots at a really great view point and I was glad for the break. 


Ummmm gorgeous!




After way too many of these roads we finally landed at one of the destinations the boy wanted to hit.  Caduceus Winery.  This is the winery owned by the famous Maynard James.  The guy who did our tasting has known Maynard for 20 some years and the boy’s eyes lit up a bit talking to someone who knows one of his favorites.  They had 3 flights available and we tried them all. (Sharing of course).  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good a lot of the wines were!  You never know with celebrity wines but Maynard has got it right.  I also ordered a jar of olives that the dude said were grown locally on Maynards property.  Damn delicious!  I ended up buying a couple of bottles and some little wine glasses to remember the occasion.  We headed a few stores down to the Pucifer store.  Does Maynard own this whole town? 



He doesn't always drink wine

Before we headed back on the road we found a cool door!  Some day I'd love to come back and explore that town more!

Hi Sun Streak!

Back on the awful mountain road for not too much longer and down into Sedona.  Um….gorgeous!!!  We started seeing the red rocks and gorgeous flat rock mountains as we drove in.  It was truly breathtaking.  Green everywhere.  Just lovely and a lovely town!  I am curious as to why there are so many round abouts though.  So weird!  We pulled up into our hotel for the night – Sky Ranch LodgeSo cute!!!  I would so stay here again!  Check was a breeze, the room is adorable, lovely pool area and a wine bar!  There’s also a gorgeous “Look Out” that gives you some great views. 





 
We headed just a short walk to Mesa Grill for dinner since we didn’t want to drive back down the mountain again.  FYI…this was up a damn mountain.  There’s so many fucking mountains in AZ.  The restaurant had a great view and the food was fucking awesome!  I had fish and chip with panko crust and a Blanc.  The boy had a chicken with grits that was so friggin good!!  We watched the small planes taking off and practicing and enjoying the views while we ate. 



 After we walked back we hit the Look Out for a gorgeous Sedona Sunset.  Both of us taking pictures galore!  We were going to hit the wine bar and/or the Jacuzzi but exhaustion got the best of us and we called it a night.  








My favorite shot of the evening

The next morning before we headed out we took a few more shots from the look out.










These two were so cute!  Hopping straight up in the air!


Totally could see my mom setting up her garden this way




After we headed out, The boy decided we should check out "Devils Bridge".  Someone had posted on my FB about it and when he looked it up it didn't seem like a big deal hike.  I had not prepared for a hike so I was a bit hesitant but after some convincing we went for it.  Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit much of hike.  If any of you want to check it out - just be ready.  It was hot as hell, high altitude (which I'm learning I have a bit of a difficult time with) and longer than a mile as it states online.  Had I been better prepared it probably would not have taken such a toll, but it's a long walk then there's some pretty hardcore vertical climbing to do if you're not ready.  Super damn pretty though!











These were everywhere!
This is the end of the hike and yes, I'm flipping him off
But guys....the end result - fucking awesome.  You round a corner and see what all the fuss is about.  The boy actually got a bit a vertigo so be ready for that as well.  The part that juts out is super high up so those afraid of heights - be prepared.  It was so beautiful though!!!  I decided to try to head out there and see how I do.  The bend to get there was a bit  unnerving but the walk out was actually not that bad.  So out I went so The boy could get his shot.  Not to be shown up by his girlfriend and feeling a bit more steady, he went out as well.  People were super cool letting each person take a turn so friend/fam could get shots.





So high!


The walk out to the bridge






Now here's where the trip takes quite an unfortunate turn.  I was already beginning to have some issues with altitude and elevation changes.  I think I may have got a bit of heat exhaustion on the hike.  The switchbacks going from Sedona to the Grand Canyon were really bad and while driving I got super sick.  I should mention I came into this week with a horrific cough that I've had for 3 weeks and it hadn't let up.  A few days before the trip I tried to take steroid the Dr called in but it made me violently ill.  So this bout of sickness straight up knocked me on my ass.  It got to the point where I couldn't drive and there was a point the boy had to pull over so I could fall out of the truck and get sick on the side of the road. Heart broken.  This completely debilitated me for the rest of the day. The Grand Canyon Day. :(  I was so bummed.  The boy still stopped at the places he had planned but I stayed in the truck, air on, trying to not barf again.  It was horrible.  There was a humorous moment when the biggest raven I have ever seen came tap tap tapping outside the truck.  I think it thought I was dead.

Nevermore

I did get the holy shit moment.  As we were driving out we turned a corner and the Grand Canyon appeared on the drivers side.  I looked out and gasped.  I started crying wanting to see it so the boy pulled over so I could crawl out for a couple of shots.


Trying not to barf
The rest of the drive I sat curled up in the passenger seat, trying not to die.  The drive was fucking gorgeous.  As crappy as I felt it was so beautiful and vast and amazing and I couldn't stop gaping out the window.  The pictures do not do the sights justice at all but they will be imprinted in my memory.  There is truly some gorgeous countryside out there friends!

Random deer just chilling in the parking lot


One of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on

At one point in the drive we crossed over the Colorado River where there was a pedestrian bridge.  I was feeling a bit more stable so we got out and walked around.  So beautiful!!!





It was so peaceful





We arrived at Jacobs Lake that is in the mountains near the North Rim.  We had the tiniest cabin!  It was so cute!  The place totally reminded me of the camps we used to go to as kids.

We rolled in and I promptly went to bed.  The boy went out to grab some dinner and brought me back mine.
Sprite and Saltines
He headed back out later that night to capture some milky way shots over the Grand Canyon that I can't wait to see.  When he returned he informed me he hit a deer.  Oh no!  Hopefully it's ok - it did run off but it damaged his truck a bit.  He was also charged by a bison.  Yup.  You read that right.  I had to mention that.  Apparently there was a herd of them so he pulled off the road to let them by and he got charged!  Crazy right!  Be careful driving around that area at night!  A call to his dealership the next day eased his mind the truck was still drive-able for the rest of the trip.  The next morning I felt slightly better and attempted some breakfast.  The little cafe there was adorable and Christmas all year around! They even played Christmas music.  Our waiter was the part of the family that owned the place and very sweet.  I was able to force down some food and we walked around the place a bit more before heading out to Utah which you'll read about in the next blog!

Christmas!



Utah here we come!

No comments: