Tuesday, August 29, 2017

I made a purse...

Like actually made a leather purse.

My mom's longtime friend Belen has an artist Hubs who always has a booth down at Laguna Art-A-Fair.  I guess a few weeks ago she took a class to make Leather Purses.  She told my mom about it who got all excited and signed me, her and Danelle up for it thinking it would be a fun Sunday.

I was warned to come with a design.  I am no artist.  Like at all.  I can barely draw a stick figure so I hit up Pinterest and looked for ideas.  I saw a cute kitty purse and thought that could be fun, so I printed out the pattern and brought it along.

We got there early enough to grab some breakfast at a coffee house down the way then hit up the Fair.


The class was in 2 parts.  10:30 - 12:30 then a break for lunch then 1:45ish to 3:30.

The gal who taught was also an artist at the Fair.  She had cut up some pieces for us and we got started.

We were told to start "designing" our purse.  Lord.

Did I mention I can't draw?
After my sad attempts at drawing, I decided on a shape and cut it out.

Looks kind like a purse!

Mom and D at work
The teacher and I decided it would be easier to have the cat on the purse rather than as the top part so I cut out the cat (was actually ok with my shape) and got ready to punch the holes.


Not bad actually
I was then to punch holes to sew.  This was hard on your hands.  I'm actually still sore from it!

Now, when I started trying to sew this damn cat head onto the purse it was awful.  Leather is not easy to go in and out of, my back was screaming and I was just not having very good luck.  I got to a stuck point and the teacher stepped in to help.  Thank GAWD.  We talked about what she was going to do and my growling stomach and aching back were like "Do whatever" and she sent us off for lunch.  When I came back she had finished the cat.

After a delicious lunch and a couple of glasses of wine I was ready to re-tackle the thing.  I then finished sewing the purse together, added the top part, added the strap and added the closure.  All with her guidance.



Here's the 4 purses all finished!

D made the clutch, mom's purse has the little flower and Belen has the square one
We took an after shot with our teacher and we are all now official purse makers!

Purse ladies!
Afterwards we then wandered the Fair, I picked up a few gifts and we took a photo booth shot of course.

Yay for Art!
As frustrating as it got a few times, and as tolling as it was on my back and neck, it was a super fun day!  I actually am pretty happy with my little hippie leather purse I made!  I really enjoy doing things I wouldn't normally sign up to do.  Thanks mom for treating me to a fun day and letting be pretend I'm a bit of an artist. 










No comments: