Monday, February 15, 2016

Scottish Festival and Highland Games...

I spent Valentine's Day this year with three of my girlfriends oogling yummy dudes throwing heavy shit at the Scottish Festival and Highland Games.

Amber and I arrived early ready to oogle.

As you walked in I felt like I was at the Ren Faire.


We then came up to the area they did herding demos.  There were 2 darling pups but this guy was super intense!!!


Don't fuck with my sheep
Amber and I watched some of the early games then walked around the vendor area.  Lots of good stuff!!!  I wanted to buy so much!!  But, I was a good girl.  I'm really really trying to get that loan paid off THIS YEAR and I'm trying to be a bit more frugal this year with finances.  I'll still have fun here and there but random purchasing of goodies like I wanted to do on Sun will have to wait.  So I just gazed and drooled.

I kind of wanted this. There was also this rad wine holder I wanted....sigh.
There was also a stilt walker!


Terri and Jill joined up with us and we watched the games, ate delish food and had a wonderful time!  It was the perfect way to spend what could be a bit of a bitter holiday for us single gals.  The opening ceremonies were cool.  They sang a Oh Canada and God Save the Queen along with the Star Spangled Banner.  I promptly burst into tears when they played a beautiful version of Amazing Grace with a solo bag piper then joined by many then back to single.  Amazing Grace on bagpipes always gets me.

For the food:

Amber got herself a meat pie.  This was her must have food purchase.

I got bangers and mash.  Oh yes.  No  picture though.  T got her self a sausage and I believe Jill indulged in a meat pie as well.  The other fun treat was T introduced us to Welsh Cakes!  They were so good!!  I got the Lemon Poppy flavored with Lemon Curd.  Yum!

So good!

I did purchase one thing...English Toffee!!!  Yummy!

We all watched the parade.







There were clan reps as well and the Scott Clan pulled Amber into the parade!  So cool!




Rad.




Mini Bagpiper!



Hearts for VDay!


Now for the best part!  The games!!!!!!

So I always pick a dude I pretend is my boyfriend.  That was this dude.  His name is Brad.
The games were all set up on this patch of grass sort of in the middle of the event.  It didn't seem very large, and I do think the OC Fairgrounds is a better venue since it's much larger.  But they made do.  They had multiple games going on at the same time and it was a little nerveracking.  In fact, one poor fella got tagged with a hammer!!

The 1st set of games were these heavy ass kettle bell looking things.  The guys would stand under or a little in front of these bars and toss them over there head hoping to get them over the bar!  Insane!!




This guy was another favorite


Bad. Ass.
 They spun around and hurled these hammer balls.  This was the one that made me the most nervous.  Some went rogue and the area was just not big enough.  One of these is what took out that poor guy!



 They thew rocks like shot puts.

They hurled hay bale things over the bars

Um. This guy is 70!

My favorite one was this heavy ball thing.  It was fascinating to watch the skill and strength as they hurled these balls insane amounts of distance!

Bad. Ass.



Lil hop

Then of course the crowd favorite - The Cabor Toss!


They take their time schooching down to get the balance and grip.  So impressive



He flipped it every time!


It was a super fun day.  I really do love to watch a show of strength.  My only two complaints were they had 2 cannon demonstrations.  They weren't near us but they were fucking loud and made my blood pressure rise.  I almost left they were so loud.  The other is there were no girls!  I guess they had a lot of gals compete the day before, but I was really hoping to see some bad ass chicks.  I have a thing for strength.  I'm super proud that I'm a very strong person.  I work hard to keep my strength up.  I may not be the best when it comes to cardio (I blame too many years of smoking) but dammit I'm strong!  One of my biggest turn ons in a man is strength.  I don't want to date someone whose ass I cant kick.  Seriously.  Plus I think growing up as an athlete you really learn how to appreciate strength and skill.  These guys were awesome.  They had some newbie kids too, playing the games for the first time and they were doing great!  I loved loved loved watching these games!  So much fun!  I also was so stoked to play with the action setting on my fancy camera! 

Twas a fun day indeed!  Go Scots!








No comments: