Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Comic Book Train Part Two...

Hi again!

So I've now completed the 2nd chunk of the Marvel Movies.  I am now officially caught up with the rest of the world!  Now I'll pretty much watch the 3rd chunk with you all as they come out.

Again - I'm sure you've all seen these movies, but in case not:

*SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!*

So first up was IronMan 3.

I dug it!  I seem to really like the IronMan movies.  I'm such a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr. and his character is such a charming asshole and so damn funny!  This movie moved right along.  IronMan getting a bit cocky and starting quite the fight.  It was also nice to see his humanity side dealing with the new issue of anxiety attacks.

The main villain is Guy Pearce!  I love him!  He's one of my favorite actors and he does not disappoint!  There is also a bit where Ben Kinglsey (Did you hear me...Ben Freaking Kinglsey!) plays a terrorist, but you find out he's just an actor.  He is fucking HILARIOUS as the hippie version!  I was dying!  So rad to see  Ben Kingsley play a role like that!


Guy Pearce also worked out for that role!  Hot Damn!  I also want to give props to Don Cheadle as the Iron Patriot - he's badass and I think totally underestimated!  He totally kicks ass even when he's not in the suit!  Oh and his line to Aldrich.. "You breathe fire...ok".  Genius.

There's a kid in the movie played by Ty Simkins whose also noteworthy!  The little smartass kid gave RDJ a run for his money.

Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper has a moment where she's injected with this weird fire shit was AWESOME!

I'm super disappointed that she doesn't stay that way!!!  Ya ya ya, there's the whole you could explode thing - but they seemed to be able to control it if they really wanted to.  So unfortunately that woman badassary is only temporary.

I also loved all the extra little Ironman that were kicking major ass during the big battle.  It seems they could prove super useful but alas RDJ destroys them all to "wipe the slate clean".  Lame.
He also gets the thingie in his chest removed which made me think Ironman was done but I guess it's the suit not necessarily RDJ.  Oh - and mad props to Jarvis.  I love him too even though he's only a voice.

So Ironman 3.  2 thumbs up!!!

Next up was Thor: A Dark World.

Loved loved it!!!!  So it's starting to be pretty apparent that IronMan and Thor are my faves.  I think part of the reason is the level of humor in the movies.  Again I found myself squealing with delight, caught up in the action sequences and reacting loudly at many events.  I seriously wander what I look like when I watch these.

So this flick basically focuses on this evil pale weird looking dude played by Christopher Eccleston.  There's some red gooey stuff that looks a lot like blood that can apparently destroy a bunch of stuff and turn a human into a crazy red powerful thing.  Sort of like the weird fire shit people got injected with in IronMan.  Anywhoo - this one is much more on the fantasy mythical side so when the 9 Realms (I guess worlds) line up a certain way and this red stuff gets out it's gonna be bad.  Like real bad.

The other part of the plot line is Thor's lady Jane Foster played by Natalie Portman just got infected with the stuff so they have to get it out of her.

Kat Denning has a much bigger role in this flick and I really enjoyed her performance.  She's hilariously dry and fun to watch.



We lose Thor's mom who gets killed by evil pale dude and Thor lets Loki loose to help him kill the guy for revenge on his mom and of course stopping the whole red goo will destroy the 9 worlds thing.  He teams up with his rad posse and Loki and they all go against the Kings (Thors dad - whose kind of a dick) and tackle this battle.  Loki dies in the process - a very noble death but then at the end of the movie the King turns into him.  WTF?!  I'm super confused and somewhat annoyed because do some people die and some people pretend die?  I was really stoked to see Loki die this awesome noble death but now he's back?  What?  Sigh.



There's a rad battle between Thor and evil pale dude that starts on earth and with the help of Jane Foster and her team they fight between worlds.  It's kind of awesome and hilarious and confusing at the same time.  One of my favorite moments was when Thor gets on a Subway.  I was dying.

So again - rad battle scenes.  Fun effects.  Lots of action that got me reacting out loud.  Then this ice monster accidentally gets sent into the Earth world and the very last scene of the movie after the credits is this monster tromping through a parking lot chasing birds like a dog.  Seriously the best thing ever.  I was laughing so hard.

Awww puppy!


Also...the world of evil dude is called Svartalfheim.  Um what?  How the hell do you pronounce that?

Also - the introduction of Benicio del Toro as something called The Collector?  What in the actual fuck was that scene?  It was so weird and he was so weird and the really sunburned chick made me think about Galaxy Quest.  I guess this is where you comic book folks know what's going on and us non comic book folks are sitting there like this:

But  - this flick - rad.  Loved it.  I love Thor.  I love the humor.  Awesome!

Ok - just watched Captain America - The Winter Soldier.

I liked this one much more than the 1st Captain America.  Our main dude is still our all American hero but now we go into the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D has been compromised by something called Hydro.  So basically government corrupting stuff.  I would say the scariest part about this is - um hello - totally real I'm sure.  Our government scares the shit out of me and knowing what they could do...lordy lordy and I'm probably now "flagged" or "marked" for typing this.  But I was probably flagged a long time ago since I'm such a peace loving hippie.  Anyway - Winter Soldier.

So we have the whole trust issue.  I wailed when I thought they killed off Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) but no silly Jami - they can't kill off the coolest mother fucker out there.  Seriously.  I don't think anyone in the world is cooler than Samuel Jackson.

Seriously.  He's the shiz-nit.  His chase/car scene that he ACTUALLY ESCAPED FROM was fucking awesome!

So now we have our team that's going against everything they thought was right.  Nick, Black Widow, Captain and this new superhero they introduce who is totally rad!  Falcon!

I think I finally maybe getting a bit of geek-dom in my blood!  I get really really excited when a new superhero is introduced!!

The battle scenes rule.  Lots of fun explosions and car chases and humanly impossible things being made to look possible!

I'm thrilled The Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) actually has more screen time here.  I'm a little disappointed in the lack of bad ass gals.  She is fucking awesome as usual.

I loved the moment that you thought the council woman chick was a badass but it turned out to be Black Widow in disguise.  I kind of wished it really was the council woman...

There's this other gal that's sort of introduced that I like but I'm told she's just a hero, not a super hero.  I thought her name was Kate but I guess it's actually Sharon Carter and she kicked some major ass in this movie.


My favorite part of the movie though is the introduction of our "Winter Soldier" who is - low and behold - Bucky!  Stephen Rogers buddy that we thought fell off a train and died in Captain America 1.  Nope - he's back as a victim of an evil organization (another government?) that brain washed him and turned him into an assassin.  He has flashes of memory so there's hope for him yet, but he's rad and I have a huge crush on him.  He's also the Mad Hatter from Once Upon a Time (There's the Jami Geek showing) and I loved him then!  Now he's this pumped up bad ass villian.  I mean look:

And with makeup!  Hello sexy goth boy!

And of course shirtless...

Seriously.  Hot damn.  Stan Sebastian - call me!

Ok...back on track here.  Our badass little group of course kicks ass and stops the freaky giant air craft carrier thingies from killing millions of people that they've decided should die.  (Um...scary!!!) and have gone their separate ways.  There were a lot of SHIELD folks that were actually still good and not corrupted, so it was a civil war of sorts.  My only questions is - where the hell were the other Avengers?  I mean we had this epic battle of them teaming up together to fight those piranha looking alien things...how come there was no help here?

Our after credits scene gives us a glimpse into Avengers 2 with the introduction of I think it's Quicksilver?  And the witchy chick.  Then we get another sneak peek of Bucky - now sort of good again because his memories are returning (I mean he did save Cap America from drowning) looking at the pic of himself from the past.  So - there's hope for him yet!  And hopefully more to see his yummy-ness!

Captain America 2 - thumbs up!  Totally fun movie!


Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ok - first of all I didn't really see how it tied into the rest, but then I kinda did.  The weird character of Benicio del Toro as The Collector is in this one.  He's still weird as fuck and I don't understand that story line.

Chris Pratt is hot.  I love him.  But who doesn't.

I mean COME ON!
 I dug this one.  It was fun and full of humor which of course I love even more.  I enjoyed how Chris Pratt's character wanted so bad to be "StarLord" and his portrayal of pretty much a kid trying really hard to be cool.  He totally is though!

The story line of Gamora was pretty predictable but I still enjoyed it.  Dave Bautista as Drax was awesome.  I loved how literal he was and how he ended being super noble.  My favorite of course though which is probably most folks favorite was Groot and Rocket.  I want a pet Groot.  Seriously.  He was adorable!

And then he does this rad little light show!



And I actually totally teared up when he was dying and Rocket the Raccoon - a fucking Racoon - is holding his head and telling him not to do it.  I cried.  I seriously cried.

It was really great watching the group of thugs all come together and be the now Guardians of the Galaxy while they fought off the big evil villain guy who looked like an adult emo reject.  I totally cheered when Chris Pratt said "We're the Guardians of the Galaxy Bitch!" 



So yes - the bad guys turned good and conquered dude.  The characters were fun and I was totally on board!

Finally!!!!!  My Avengers #2 came in the mail in my little red Netflix envelope!  FINALLY!

The main unfortunate part for me was trying to remember what had happened in the last one.  I get a bit confused with the different movies and then the Avengers all together.  Why are they not always together.  Like a job?  At one point I text Renee asking "Where's Falcon?"  I couldn't remember if he died or what.  She text back - he was in the Captain America movie...he's not an Avenger yet...but text me when the movie is over.  Ha!  There he was!

So - Avengers 2.  Apparently RDJ and Bruce Banner want to do something with that glowy wand thing that Loki had, to make an uber computer thingie that will be able to protect the world.  Sadly this non science brain girl got a bit lost.  I assume this is where the huge sci-fi folks are getting boners.  I'm sitting there like

The lights battled each other - (Jarvis and this new Ultron thing) and now we have this Ultron villain that's not really a person but kind of is but I don't know.  Best part though - It was James fucking Spader!  I love him!  He is such a quirky cool actor and one of my favorite guys to see play a bad guy.  What was even more awesome was you never saw him you just heard him!  There was a robot thingie there for a bit that had the rad James Spader movements but hearing his voice as the big bad was freaking awesome.  Such a fantastic villain!

I of course enjoyed all the crazy cool battle scenes.  I love how the Avenger work so well as a team!  It's like Captain America hurls the magic shield at Black Widow and she kicks it into an evil robot then Thor whacks his magic hammer at it sending it flying back to the Captain.  I mean talk about teamwork!

I got a bit lost with the romance part....I thought Black Widow and Hackeye were an item - but now she's goo goo for Hulk?  Although I do love that she can un green him.

Kinda cute
And Hawkeye has a whole family?!  That was a trip.

We also get introduced to two other characters.  Quicksilver played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson who I love!!!  He's Kickass!!!!  I was seriously waiting for him to run out like this...

And Elizabeth Olson (There's another Olson!?) as Scarlett Witch.

Can I just tell you how excited I am that there is another girl superhero!!???  Now - they of course aren't good guys at 1st, but you learn the story of how their parents were killed by a Stark bomb and they are seeking revenge.  Fair.  They do see the error or their ways and quickly join the good side.  I am curious though to see how witchy gal fairs with RDJ in future episodes.  I was heartbroken when Quicksilver was killed off!  Very nobly though - saving Hawkeye and a little boy.  I'm so bummed though!  Because again - um hottie - and funny - and dammit.

But who knows.  Loki came back.  Maybe he can!  Witchy gal broke my heart too.  I guess they're twins and her reaction when he was killed (she felt it of course) was heart breaking.  So sad.  But she's an Avenger now!

So our heroes aren't fairing too well against this badass James Spader thing and it really looking like they're going to lose when a giant chuck of the earth rises up and is pretty much going to come crashing back down into earth thus destroying it.  No pressure.  Then guess what -

Super Jarvis appears!!!

Again.  I'm a bit confused on what the hell he actually is, but he's pretty bad ass!  It's also Paul Bettany who I love and have been enjoying him as the voice of Jarvis but now he's a dude...thing...whatever.  But hey!!  Neat!

So with the Avengers now having the help of Scarlett Witch and Super Jarvis - oh and Nick Fury pops back up with Maria and crew (Apparently they are rebuilding after the corrupt mess from Avengers 1) they can take out the bad guy.

I'd like to throw props to Maria too.  She's not a superhero but she's pretty bad ass.  Again - girl power!


So all is well.  It looks like the Avengers SHIELD or Hydro or something or other is back on track.  They have a new facility and new Avengers to train!  I just loved the ending when Black Widow and Captain were ready to train the newbies!  Which are Don Cheadle, Super Jarvis, Witchy chick and low and behold - Falcon!



So yay!!!

The secret little surprise ending threw me for a loop.  Some big gold and purple guy was like - "I'll do it myself!"  Huh?  Renee informs me this is Thanos.  Huh?

So I'm officially caught up!  I will now continue to watch the Marvel movies in order with the rest of you all!  I think Antman is next?

I have enjoyed my little journey into the comic world and feel like I can now contribute to some of the convo!  Shall I tackle DC next?  I believe I'm supposed to watch the latest Supermans/Batmans?  Will Suicide Squad be attached to that?  Should I care about the Xmen, Four folks and Green people?  Yikes....getting overwhelmed again.

OMG!!!!  There's so many of them!




No comments: