Friday, October 16, 2015

Haunted Hayride 2015...

Haunt number 3 for the season - LA Haunted Hayride!



Only Taylor was able to join from the usual crew, but we also had a new addition - Miss Jody!  I bought her a ticket for her birthday presie this year.  So stoked she could join us!

Jody is here this year!
We got a bit of a later start and hit gnarly traffic so we didn't have time to do dinner beforehand which I usually like to do.  Ah well.  This did land us there much earlier though and we got in line before they actually opened the doors.  I have to say - going early is such a great time to go!  We didn't do VIP or anything, so we were the lowly General Admission peeps.  But getting there early was rad.  We parked right up front and didn't wait really for anything!

Since we were all starving, we hit the Grub Shack the moment they opened the doors.  Jo & Taylor each got sausages which they didn't rave too much about.  I promptly inhaled a hamburger which I'm sure was good but I devoured it.  We also all got ourselves these really nifty metal water bottles!  Only $6!  While we were waiting for food this guy was messing with us and loved Taylor's T-Shirt!

Our friend for the evening
I also got a nice spooky shot of my Hayride Buddies!

Sppooookkkkyyyyy


I was of course still hungry after the burger so I got myself some Pumpkin Fritters - so good!!!!

We then hit up the Hayride!

Waiting in our cage to hop on the Hayride!

Singing decapitated heads

I really liked my new water bottle

The theme this year was The Boogeyman and they did quite well with it I thought.  They were supposed to have stepped it up a bit due to getting a contract with Shark Tank, but I didn't notice much except new scanners for your bracelets.  But it was still cool - I just actually liked previous years better.

They pulled a cover over you as we rode up the hill - I think it was supposed to symbolize being under a bed (Taylor pointed that out).  We stopped at various locations and saw different renditions of the Boogeyman stories from all over the world.  I really enjoyed the one that had these spooky group of dancers.  They were all in formal attire and did a really beautiful dance number, then of course came at us.  Not super scary but the visual of them all standing there as we pulled away was really cool!  There was also a scene that was similar to The Purge.  A bunch of girls in really creepy masks and baseball bats.  Loved the giggles and laughter from the girls.  I also really dug the homage to the Zodiac Killer.  It was actually a little scene watching a young couple get murdered.  This Hayride definitely seemed really fun to be an actor in.  These folks def got to do some acting!  The finale was cool but the strobe light was too distracting.  I wish I could have seen that one better.

After the Hayride they of course guide you through the merch tent where Jody and Taylor stocked up.  I actually really loved the paintings.  It reminded me of one of our Madame Guignols where Mel painted a bunch of Circus stuff.

I wonder if they would notice me running out with this thing



We then hit up the Trick or Treat Experience.  It was really neat!  You went through in really small groups.  Maybe about 5 or 6 of us.  We were told to move to the next door when we hear the doorbell sound.  My only complaint was that the time in between doorbells was a little too fast.  We couldn't get to the next doors quick enough and it sort of messed up some of the scenes, but not too bad!  At each door (We hit maybe 8 of them?) an actor would come out and do a minute or so scene to us.  It was really clever!  One guy just yelled at us to go away, one had a guy stabbing someone in the background, another was a really creepy ghost monster thing beckoning us to come in, another was a drunk lady wanting to give us booze, and many others.  I really dug it!  Very theatrical!

Next up was the Haunted House Maze thing.  Again - this was really theatrical!  You walked in - maybe in a group of 10 or so.  We started out with a spooky lady doing a giant Ouija Board bit.  Jody was given a lantern and we then had to make our way through the maze, stopping periodically for actors to do different scenes.  It reminded me a bit of Delusion.  I'm really enjoying these more theatrical experiences rather then just walking through a maze and having monsters jump out at you.  I was telling my friends I think I would really like to actually work in one of these!  It would be a lot of fun to do more of a play like thing.  Very neat!

We then stopped in the fun little photo area and took a few pictures of course.

Mmmmmm meat grinder

Gross dude

Jody got in trouble

No Blood Drums this year dammit, but they had a really neat house set up.

I believe it did some sort of light show along with the surrounding pumpkins when the Hayride Line got long, but we didn't see it since we went right in.

The creepy carousel was there again, but didn't go backwards like before.  They also had the little theatre folks again having audience re-enact horror movies but we didn't stay for that.

I love all the pumpkins everywhere!


We hit the "In Between" maze on the way out.  I had to leave this maze 2 years ago (didn't even attempt last year) because it's just a dark maze with a constant strobe and it gets me sick.  But I thought maybe this year was different since it was a clown theme and you actually wear a clown mask to go through it.  Nope.  It was the same damn thing.  I tried to just close my eyes and have Taylor guide me through but I was getting really dizzy.  Taylor found an emergency exit and sent me through.  Dammit.  I don't know why strobes bother me so much now.  I can handle it for a second but any longer and I'm out.  Ugh.  So bummer there.  The hay and dirt were also starting to get to me and now I was a Sneezy McSneezerson.  Tip - be prepared to sneeze.  It's quite dusty and of course lots of hay around.  I also recommend wearing pants because you sit in hay for the hayride and it can get itchy.

By the time we headed out it was around 9pm and the lines were huge!  Parking was full and someone was super stoked when I pulled out of a front spot.  So yes - tips to anyone going - get there right when it opens!

We had a great time as always and I really did enjoy the theatrics of this event.  No good scares for me, but Jody is a fun one to go with!  She was shrieking and squealing the whole time.  Loved it!  Props to the Hayride for heading more in a theatrical direction, just get rid of that lame In Between Maze! ha ha!

Yay for Halloweenie Fun!!!!



No comments: