Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25 WBOD...

Shadows.

They can be fun. Scary. Odd. Artistic. Yes I'm being literal with this one. Last entry was a "shadow" enough from my past. This time we go literal. As a child I would stand with the sun high above shining down over my head and stare at my shadow. I would turn sideways and pooch out my stomach. Stick out my tongue. Make shadow puppets. I would try to run away from it. If I run just a little faster I'll actually beat it. Nope. She's always there following me. Attached to my shoes. No tricks or spins or jumps can shake your shadow.

I had a dream once and I watched someone die. Their body lay there motionless. I heard noises around me and the shadows started to move and moan. Shadows of light posts, windows, trees started taking the shapes of ghostly like figures moaning and crying out at the death of this human soul that lay at my feet. Blood swirled around the head and formed a glowing pool - shadows emerged from it sighing and reaching out towards the departed. I awoke.

Have you ever seen you shadow in the moonlight? Its different. Its clearer, crisper, odd. I sat outside in the moonlight one night, perched on the edge of the fire pit. Lazy smoke twirled upward from the cigarette dangling from my lips. I looked up and squinted at the brightness of the moon. I noticed movement and looked down to see my shadow. I reached out my hand, spreading out my fingers and started down at the crisp image of my shadow hand. I tilted my head. Its so different. Almost spooky like. I stand and watch my shadow rise with me. We danced under her light that night together.

Interesting assignment today. Shadows. Thats it. Just one word. As I sit here perched on my bed, laptop in lap, face and mouth sore as hell from my earlier dentist visit - My cats are watching me make a shadow puppet bunny hop across my wall....

No comments: