Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Rich...

I'm not.
Nor will I ever be.
Nor will I ever fit in this scene.
Now this little blog isnt about all rich people. Just the pompous interesting ones. There are people out there with loads of money who are actually pretty cool peeps. These are usually the people that worked for it and were not born into it.
Anywhoo...
I really do find this species interesting. The way they are. The way they live thier life. The way thier priorities fall. Its interesting. What really makes me laugh, is sometimes when you see a "rich pompous" character played on TV you'd think they were over acting somewhat. They're not. I used to work for the opera - the patrons were majority upper class rich old people. There were a few young ones scattered in the mix. I now work for a similar organization and worked an event last nite. I found the people watching amusing.
The older folk reminded me very much of our opera patrons - old money. In fact some of them were opera patrons. There are 2 types here - the old ones that know they're old and accept it. These are usually couples that are pretty mellow. They have money. They love these events. They come, support, and leave. Then there's the old ones that think they're 20. Both the men and women have had so much work done they look somewhat stretchy and plasticy, lots of makeup - the ladies in lots of shiny material - the men hitting on us young women. I'm used to this. I used to see those people all the time. But last nite there were alot more youngins in the group. 1st off - a hubby/wife were volunteering with us. They apparently know alot of the folks and I assume they have money. The wife had a gf that also volunteered. Both women were very pretty and you could tell they came from money. My feline hairs immediatly stood up as I dreaded the thought of working alongside of 2 rich bitches. Especially after the hubby barked some orders at me - the way he did making me wonder if wifey knew her hubby was gay. I'm new people - lay off. 1st impressions can be wrong. As the evening wore on - I really grew to like the ladies and even the hubby. I chalk up 1st impression to stress of the event. Very friendly, very sweet - and suprisingly real - not fake. So I got a taste last nite of the actual nice rich folks my age. The rest of the eve proved my theory of my age rich folk are lame.
There was the younger "ken doll" looking dude. He arrived with a group, collar up, curly blonde hair that fell perfectly in a little curl over his forehead, blue eyes and sparkling smile. The guy was a douche. There was lots of alcohol at this event FYI. This douche would walk by our table (Mind you there were 5 women and 1 guy working registration and we were all pretty cute), he'd smile and say "Hellooooo Ladies..." very suave. Very pompous. He'd wink. He'd smile. I was dying. At one point I think I actually guffawed quite loudly back at him. Then there was the drunk young couple. The gal was very done up - already had so much work done and probably wasnt even close to my age yet. The dude was drunk and an asshole. They kept coming up to the table to check if they won any of thier auction items. He'd lean on the table making jokes, slurring, hitting on the gal in front of his gal. This was actually wifey I mentioned earlier - she handled it like a pro. He just looked like "That Guy" ya know? There were a few more similar situations throughout the evening with these type. It just made me realize even more how uncomfortable I am around these people. I cant stand that kind of aura.
I remember the boy I dated a while ago - he had alot of rich friends. Now - I didnt meet any of them really. So I cant judge. But I remember our 1st date - he asked me if I'd been to certain bars. The ones he rattled off I eithier had not heard of or knew of as the newport beach/corona del mar scene and was stunned he frequented these. He was not that type. He made good money yes, but he didnt have that snobbery about him. As we dated longer, I realized he did like the "nice life". I never did go to any of these foo-foo bars with him - he knew they just werent my scene. But we'd joke constantly about them and I'd razz him mercilessly when he'd go. One in particular was Javiers in Newport Coast. I went once, for a friends bday. It was full of all those types! The same exact types of these douchebags I watched last nite. The young rich. I felt so out of place and uncomfortable the whole evening, but stayed for my friend. It was akward and weird and these people were so fake and mean and snooty. The boy told me dinner there is different, he may be right. But that place left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm not around these types of people very often. But I really do find it interesting sometimes when I am. Dont get me wrong - it'd be nice to have money. Nice to not have to worry about bills and what not. But... Their lives. Thier outlook on life. I seriously cant imagine what its like - nor do I ever want to know.

No comments: