Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 Recap...

Do I even bother?

My GAWD.  2020 has been one of the most difficult years in probably all of our lives.  Who ever would have thought we would end up here.  It's created the oddest world to live in right now.  Masks are worn everywhere.  You shouldn't go anywhere unless essential.  Don't mix households.  Don't party.  Don't gather.  Hospitals are at capacity and going over.  It's fucking awful you guys.

Worldwide over 80 million cases and almost 2 million deaths.  United States has over 20 million cases and almost 350K deaths.  Just California is over 2 million cases and over 25K deaths.  I'm pretty sure we're fucked until at the very least - Spring.  The holidays have and will push us over the edge.  It's just so sad.

I'll be returning to work on Mon (after winter break) - the only one still.  My office is so weird and quiet.  It looks like the rapture hit.  I listen to my music loudly, talk to myself and get startled once a day by the cleaning gal.  It's just so odd.  I don't know when our staff will be coming back.  It certainly doesn't look like soon.  They'll be starting to test those of us who are "essential" weekly now.  I guess that's good right?  But everytime I get tested I have massive anxiety for that half hour waiting for results.  Lord.

But all we can do is look forward right?  So I'll try to hit the positives as we roll very cautiously into 2021.

2 vaccines are out and starting to be distributed so that's good.  Gives us somewhat of hope on the horizon.  I figure after we have probably a horrid January we may start seeing a downswing?  There's no more holidays...no more reasons for people to travel and get together.  We have a new president who will actually be a president.  Vaccines will continue rolling out...so fingers crossed.

2020 started out really good actually.  I began the Artists Way  Once life is somewhat normal again I'd like to re-visit that, I was actually enjoying the experience more than before.

I did a couple of fun food tours with Taylor.  Had a great birthday.  And moved in with my boyfriend.

Then March hit - FUCKING COVID.  

Let's just say the tough stuff and changes and adjustments that come with moving in with someone (when you've lived alone for almost 10 years...) get amplified when you get locked down too.  The world shut down about a month after we moved in together, so let's just say that's been a rough ride.  We're in a good place now though.  We got help and learned a lot more about each other.  We've made this place a really good home I think!  The three of us have gotten used to each others ways and we're doing well.  I'm very happy here and WARM! 

This whole mess did inspire me to do a Lockdown Life - a series of blogs that I'm really glad I wrote.

I've also been utilizing Zoom, FaceTime and Microsoft Teams.  It's been a god-send to be able to do all kinds of virtual things.  It of course isn't the same and kinda weird but I have so needed my people and we're so lucky to have these ways to do so!  I also have "patio" visits with my family and a couple of closer friends.

But 2020 was brutal.  It took my Tabitha.  It took my brothers best friend Matt.  It took my good friend Kim.  It took so many people to COVID.  It sparked a huge BLM movement after more senseless killings of Black people.  All music/theatre/events are gone.  So many people are out of work.  It's been a goddamn shit show.  

But I digress.  It's hard not too because we're still in it.  So - I really sadly don't have a whole lot to re-cap on, but we did our best.  We did do a few safe trips away.  I've learned to cook - and I'm pretty good!  We've gotten outside ALOT.  Done a lot of Geocaching.  And fallen into some pretty relaxing routines.  I also have to mention it's been really cool seeing all the creative ways people are coming up with trying to deal with this crap.  Lots of restaurants have meal kits and new ways to do take out.  There is a lot more alcohol to go options!  Delivery and things like Instacart have spiked.  Drive through movies made a come back.  Lots of drive through events.  We did a Stranger Things one that was rad!  All kinds of "Social Distancing" ways of still trying to do what used to be normal.  It's been pretty inspiring.

We're all doing the best we can.  So I'll end with some favorite pictures over the year!  Take a gander at some of moments of joy:

 Pre-Pandemic: 

Went to the snow in Jan!


I think this was our only Adventure Group Outing of 2020

My birthday

Pisces Trifecta


Taylor and I got a couple of Food Fun in before it hit

Pandemic Times:

We have become rad cooks

Been hiking alot

Social Distancing Park/Geocaching Days

Elise and I went pink during Lock down

We were able to use a pool all summer by ourselves!

Went to Lake Gregory

Went to Idyllwild

Went to Julian

Did a pretty damn good social distance Halloween

Did some drive through fun

Halloween Safely at Knotts

Xmas!


New Years Eve - Pat surprised me with Yagi Sushi! 
 

So there it is friends!  Probably and I hope the worst year to ever experience.  Let's hope 2021 brings us out of this mess.  Hopefully with a new president in place, vaccines on the way, people being safer - we'll get there right?!  

Stay safe my friends!  Spread the love and kindness - we need it more than ever right now!  Crossing our fingers for light at the end of a very dark tunnel.  Love to you all!!



No comments: