Tuesday, June 28, 2016

OC Night Market & some theatre...

A couple of weeks ago I saw a couple of pretty cool pieces of theatre!

My dear friend and sometimes director Dave directed 2 one acts by Linda McClean at The Garage Theatre called The Uncertainty Files & What Love Is - Based on a series of intimate interviews, playwright McLean talked with several Americans, transcribing their discussions (as well as the sounds around them of traffic, doors closing or a refrigerator humming) and created a one-act play about the uncertainty of the future, the hereafter, about love and about ourselves.

The 1st piece was my favorite.  It was What Love Is.  Karen Kahler and Bryan Jennings were fantastic!

The play broke my heart.  The acting was fantastic.  Victoria Marcello was also great but Karen and Bryan were wonderful.  I think it hit home for me because I felt like I was watching my grandparents.  The story is basically about how much they love each other but old age and a stroke is affecting the relationship.  But the love doesn't die.  It's fucking beautiful.  Victoria plays the daughter who is taking care of them and it made me think of mom, right now, taking care of my gramma since Papa passed and how hard it is.  Honestly I don't feel anyone can understand how hard it is to go through something like this unless you've experienced it.  But lemme tell ya - they showed you.  I sometimes wonder if this would have been a freaking awesome role for me....hell...I've got the emotional experience for sure!  I digress.  Bravo to the cast and Dave.  Fucking awesome piece and this moment right here is when I lost my shit.

The 2nd piece was Uncertainty Files and a movement, performance art piece.


Everyone was great!  The movement was interesting and I loved that guys played girls and girls played guys that it didn't really matter but rather was a cool story telling of all these different interviews.  The sounds in the background that were happening when the interviews were taking place was included in the sound from the show - super trippy but super cool.   Everyone was lovely.  Great acting all around for sure!  My only complaint was I felt this one was a bit long.  I feel it could have been half the length.  It did get a bit repetitive but otherwise it was really fun to watch.  Props to the bright awesome costumes too!

My next piece of theatre was that same weekend.  Terri and I hit up the Fringe Festival to see my amazing friend Angela's piece called I was Hamlet.  She had done HamletMachine a while back and this is sort of a re-imagination of that show.  I love her work.  This was another movement performance artsy piece.  There were no chairs, us audience members just walked into the room and sort of all stood around. We were told to take pictures, video, enjoy.  The actors wandered in and out of the crowd.  It was really odd and beautiful.  My friend Jeff, Sayaka, and Andrew were in it and another friend Angel was playing Hamlet.  They were all awesome!  Jeff and this gal Katie did some fantastic acrobatic stuff that I loved.  Angel was fantastic as always.

I got tied up.  Yup.  HAWT.  That's me in the background.



The play took a turn about halfway through where Angel threw off is costumes, the lights came up and he broke off into a political rant followed by a prayer to the iPhone which we were all told to film.  I chose not too, I'd rather enjoy the piece but it was fun seeing all the video after the fact.  Really great piece.  Loved every bit of it!  I think you can see this - here's a link to one of the many FB Live videos (With me in it!) Video




Next up - OC Night Market!  One of my favorite events!  Noel, Jill and I went last year and were set to hit it up this year as well!  I might even go again in August I dig it so much!  This event is all food trucks and art vendors!  So much fun!  The key is to get there early.  I noticed that alot of the times it takes quite a while for your food to get made.  I can't imagine how crazy it gets later in the evening when the lines are longer.  I also failed to get too many pictures of Noel & Jill's food because we kind of split off alot since it was taking a bit to get the food, so usually they had devoured their food before I could get a snap or a bite! Ha ha!  First up was 901 Fried Skewers.  I got me a lamb & a pork skewer.  Unfortunately they were a bit too spicy for me.

We of course had to get our dance dance lemonades we call them from Main Squeeze.  They always have a cool little light up ice cube and fresh fruit!

Strawberry for Jill

Watermelon for Noel

Blueberry for me! (And it was damn windy!)
Next up was my absolute favorite of the day.  Pork Belly Sandwiches from Belly Bombz.  So. Damn. Good.  The staff wasn't very friendly but the food made up for it.

GET IN MAH BELLY!
After this Jill got some garlic cheese waffle thing.  No picture but I have to say - it was pretty good!  Tasted like garlic french fries!

Next up for me was some good old Sushi from Sushi Studio Arts.  I had this last time.  I'm normally hesitant to get sushi at food trucks or festivals but not this time!  So good!  They had a special for the Market which was a Yellowtail Hand Roll.  Um. Yes.



Jill and Noel opted for these Bun things.  I wasn't a fan.  Way too doughy.  They were filled with ground beef.  Not horrible but not my thing.

Last up for me (By now everyone but me was full because I'm a fattie) was some beignets! I needed a dessert right?!  So beignets won out!  They were yum!


I was trying to be good but of course I sucked into some pretty cool art.  I love to purchase things that are unique so I splurged and got a really need piece from Elizabeth Michaels.  It's a painting on a metal tin circle.  I love it!  I also fell in love with Audrey Miller.  Her stuff was so cute and unique!  I bought just a little print and a couple magnets but I have her info!

We ate our fill, bought some art and headed out before it got too crazy!  Another perfect OC Night Market Trip!  I love these random events! 









No comments: