Thursday, March 19, 2015

Irish Spirit Run...

Last year was the 1st Annual Irish Spirit Run.

My good friend Bob is the brainchild behind this.  He set it up, coordinates it, makes the "medals", takes care of fucking everything.  And it's rad.  It's a 5K, 5 Bars, 5 Beers.  There's a group of walkers and a group of runners.  (He tops it off at 30 participants) I was supposed to lead the group of walkers.

Last year I had one of my "attacks".  Barf attacks if you will and was sicker than a dog and had to miss it.  I was crushed.  The lovely T-Mow took over my job as walker leader.

This year - I was thrilled to be able to go.  Then I got sick.  WTF!!!  I thought it was just a cold or angry allergies and sucked it up that I was still well enough to do it.  Maybe sweating it out would do me good?  So even though I wasn't 100% I went.  And loved it!

This year Bob threw in a wine option for those of us who are non beer drinkers.

We arrive at Stadium Tavern at 10:30 am decked out in our Irish Swag.  We give Bob our $20 and he checks us in.  Pitchers of beer are served.  (I pass).  Bob has also initiated that at each bar, a name will be drawn, and that person is required to do a toast.  Better be prepared!

Bob and I in our Irish Swag!

My socks are actually from Ireland! A gift from my bro and D!

My brother and D are also a part of this brigade and took my very 1st selfies with my new phone here:

I love us

As we hung around we took more shots.  Here's Keeney and Darri and I:

In addition to this fun run, Bob has initiated that a name is drawn and each bar and that person has to give a prepared toast.  The 1st toast of course was Tully and it was a musical toast that we all had to sing along too:




We all gathered outside and off we went!


It was quite fun watching everyone look at us wondering what the hell a bunch of decked out green folks were doing running around downtown Fullerton!

I was with the runners group since no one was running all that fast, but as soon as we started my throat felt like I was swallowing razor blades.  I realized I wasn't as well as I thought.  I had to take it pretty slow and this was my view most of the run. Ha ha!

The group was mixed with runners, drinkers, and those of us who are athletic most of the time but just not today.  Ha ha!  Keeney had to be careful due to a recent eye surgery so him and I were often bringing up the rear!  Great chance for us to visit!


The 1st bar we hit was Joes.

Beers were waiting and wine - full friggin pours!


Now Joes isn't really much of a wine place, I mean it's more of a dive bar and has rad beers.  So I didn't finish my glass (no that I could of if I wanted too!)  We pretty much stayed for no more than 10 min and we had to be off again!  Patti had the toast here and roused us all into laughter.

Off we were again!  Next stop - Hopscotch!  Now this place has good wine!!  Another full pour!  Our booze awaitin (Bob would put a call into each bar when we were on our way):


Shane had the toast here!

We took quite a few pictures here.  I think the run/heat was starting to get to people - Oh did I mention it was about 90 degrees?!

Delicious wine!

Schweaty!





We so cute!

Bob then led us on a detour in the parking lot where his truck was, with a cooler, full of jello shots, water and water balloons!!


I'd like to point out a brilliant moment when Julie hucked a balloon at Roger who caught and threw it back.  Amazing.

Off again!

3rd stop - The Olde Ship.  Another full friggin pour!!!  I was never able to finish an entire glass of wine.  Even if I was feeling better!


Schweaty!



This is also the bar that we took our giant group photo!

Irish Spirit Run 2015
After this stop we were sent out back, through and alley to a friends place.  Suzanne had whiskey shots, water and tattoos all set up out in front of her place for the crew!  So rad!!

Thanks Suzanne!



I heart this picture


I don't know..

Ya, I was grabbin a water!


Now the last leg of the "run".  By this time people are dying.  I will say most folks were smart with the pacing, some not but everyone made it to last stop which was Branagans.  We were given our "medals" which are fucking awesome and took a finisher shot of those of us out there:



We then headed inside where snacks were served and all plopped down for some eats.  Everyone was famished so in addition to the included snacks I think everyone ordered a meal.



One last toast:


And that was it!!  We ordered food, laughed, visited then were surprised by a bag piper!

Dude was rad!

I left a bit earlier due to still feeling a bit under the weather but has an absolute blast!  Cant wait for next year!!








No comments: