Monday, February 16, 2015

MRI's and Munchies...

Let's get the crappy part out 1st:

MRI's.  I HATE THEM.

After a ridiculous game of calling this person to tell me to call that person who tells me to go back and call this person again oh but this person needs to sign this and so and so has to approve this but wait you can't go here so call the hospital but they need to talk to him and you need to call her.  FUCK ME!

Finally got my MRI scheduled.  I had it last Thursday.  I wisely took the rest of the day off afterwards because they always make me feel icky.  I think it's the dye (contrast) they have to shoot me up with mid way through.  I get a nasty headache and laying flat for an hour and listening to the loudest noises on the planet while trying to stay still and calm without any help (meds) because I'm not claustrophobic but this damn thing sure could make me so - I did it.

I came home, felt like crap and now fingers are crossed for my follow up appointment next week to tell me if the little bastard tumor in my head has grown.  I'm hoping for a no.  I'm also hoping for a and since it hasn't had any growth since 2012 let's skip a year for the MRI.  My dad is actually hoping for a reduction but I don't even think that's possible.  Love you daddy.

I'm also waiting to hear back from the Foot Dr. about the painful right foot stuff I got going on.  I think it's my neuroma acting up again.  That's right kids - another stupid tumor.  Grumble.

So - there's that update.

Onto the more important stuff - FOOD!

Ok - let's start with The Playground.  Um  F-ING AMAZING.  Apparently this place was opened by the dude who won the very 1st Food Truck Challenge TV Show and he took his winnings and opened up this gem. Total foodie.  Total hipster.  It's in downtown Santa Ana but not the main area - it's down a bit, right near The Yost.  Go there.  Now.  It's so good.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

It's no secret though.  We got there on ArtWalk Saturday right when it opened at 5pm.  The next available reservation was Wednesday.  Um what?!  But you could walk right in and sit at the bar.  Full menu.  So that's what we did and it was just perfect.  I'm just going to post my Yelp Review:
Holy Hell was the food here amazing!!
We were there last night right when it opened & ate at the bar. Apparently the place is pretty booked up if you want a table but the bar was just perfect!
We had a couple bartenders helping us last night & both were rad.
My friend had the Naughty Sauce beer which was fantastic & I had an outstanding bold Pinot Noir.
Food-Oh my God- Amazing Brussels Sprouts to start. I had the Shrimp/Scallop Angiotti. Phenomenal! My friend went with the Uncle Jo's fried chicken. It didn't even seem fried! It was a sweet vinegery moist awesomeness.  Dessert was the dark chocolate cake with some rad sauces including pistachio!! Then we had the honey sweet potato pie-Holy Delishisness! !!!
The place is known for its foodie yummies & won't let you substitute anything but why would you!
So go. Eat. Drink. You won't be sorry!

So ya  - that sums it up.



2nd up is Wild Goose Tavern.  My friend Julie suggested this place since Costa Mesa is a nice middle ground for her and I and she knows I dig foodie stuff.  What neither of us did realize was this is not really a sit down restaurant.  It's a bar.  In fact it's the old bar that was Little Knight.  I about died when I pulled in.  Julie was super lucky though and got a table in the back corner.  The place was hilarious.  The decor was a trip - antlers and weird ducks on the wall with bras hanging off a lot of them.   Also a giant American Flag.  For a moment I thought "Merica" but the joint seemed to be full of trendy kids and some hipsters so maybe not the dive that Little Knight used to be after all.

Our waitress was great.  I had a wonderful Pinot Noir which made me happy of course.  I ordered a Chicken Club that boasted of a garlic aioli that sound amazing and an order of the Truffle Fries.  Both were super tasty.  Julie got a burger that looked amazing.  The food was fantastic but unfortunatley the atmosphere was not quite what we had hoped for since we had to shout at each other the whole time we were there.  Really really loud place.  But - if you're expecting that I would totally recommend it as a yummy place to grab a drink and eat!

Lastly was my adventure out last night with Miss T to hear about her NYC trip.  Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen in the Orange Circle has been open for probably years now and I have yet to have tried it.  Finally  - I got my ass there last night.  Boy was I glad I did!  Again - a popular joint and we had to wait a while to be sat, but us not being in a hurry it was totally fine.  The place is beautiful.  Lots of brick and really beautiful glass sculptures all over the place.  Service was good.  The food - amazing.
Terri ordered the Azteca Soup that she devoured so it must have been good!  She also ordered the Ropa Vieja.  Looked fantastic.  I had heard they had wonderful margaritas so I had to try them out!  My 1st one was a Mango on the rocks and it was delish!  I ended up getting a 2nd that was the house on the rocks, but I didn't like it as much as the Mango one.  Plus - they sneak up on ya!  Half way through my 2nd I realized I better not finish!  Oooops!  Glad we walked over!  Foodwise I ordered the carnitas nortenas.  Holy shit.  Soooooooooooooooooo good!  The carnitas come in a little skillet.  Then on the side is guacamole (wish there was a bit more), rice, beans and little cherry tomatoes in some kind of ridiculous oil.  The homemade flour tortillas were to die for.  I pretty much inhaled my dinner.  So so so good!!!  We couldn't do desset, but my friend at work whose a big Gabbi's fan said they have this amazing churro carmel thing so I guess I better go back!!!

Oh and check this out.  So I'm now officially on Twitter.  Friends and family have been encouraging me to be more of a social media presence so I'm trying to learn it a bit more (also hence more blogging) and Instagram and now this Twitter thing.  Anywhoo - I thought it was super cool that I "tweeted" (That's what you call it right?) about my Gabbi's trip and Gabbi's responded!  Neat huh!?



This sub conscious New Years Resolution about trying new places has really paid off!  I am finding some ridiculous good eats and loving blogging about them!!  Can't wait to see what's next!!!


















No comments: