Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A musically interesting weekend…


From a Broadway musical to one of my favorite reggae bands to a fascinating phenomenon called Metalachi.  It was a weekend to remember.

Saturday after getting destroyed in my boxing boot camp class, I hurried home to shower and pretty myself up to meet up with my boss down in Costa Mesa for lunch and a show.  She has a subscription series to the OCPAC Broadway Series.
Now I always say I’m not much of a musical theatre fan, and I’m still not saying I will barrel out the door to see one, but I’m certainly opening up and enjoying them a lot more than I used to.  I’ve seen some really good ones over the past couple of years and Saturday’s performance of Sister Act was no disappointment.
We started out with lunch at Scott’s Seafood.  Now I have visited this place only to drop off or pick up items for auctions when I was working for the Opera or Symphony, I have never actually eaten there because I know it falls on the higher end of prices.  I would sit in the bar area waiting for the manager to bring me whatever item they decided to donate and watch the 1% come and go and wonder what it was like.  The intoxicating aromas would drift out of the kitchen, up my nostrils and make my mouth water.  So needless to say – I was excited!  I packed my VISA card ready to just charge whatever extravagant fee my lunch would be.  (I know, I’m trying to budget and be good but I’m also trying to not short change myself on experiences and freak out about money so damn much.  Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind…I’m getting pretty used to behind.  Ahhhhh acceptance).   I arrive super early and valet.  My boss had told me we valet our car and then can walk to the show – cool perk!  The front walkway was gorgeous.  Waterfall, pretty plumerias and a darling valet kid to watch.  Boss arrived and we were seated promptly by a very attentive staff. 
The menu of course intimidated me but boss lady said it was her treat.  Then she promptly ordered a vodka gimlet.  Now this woman doesn’t usually drink.  “You’re drinking?!” I said.  She said she treats herself sometimes and told me to order something as well.  Um you don’t have to tell me twice.  I had a glass of an awesome Pinot Noir from Oregon.  Since she said she would treat, I strayed away from the sides I was going to try to make a meal out of an ordered one of the lower price entrees.  I couldn’t bring myself to pick one of the really expensive ones.  Salmon BLT and had a bowl of chowder to start. 
SO – BEST F-ING CHOWDER I HAVE EVER HAD. 
Salmon BLT – bomb.  Seriously, the food melted in my mouth. 
So after stuffing ourselves we walked over to the Center and watched a fantastic production of Sister Act. 
My expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised.  The gal who played Delores - Ta'rea Campbell was superb.  Adorable, likeable and very powerful voice.  I also enjoyed Kingsley Leggs who played Curtis, he had a low blues mo-town quality to him and E. Clayton Cornelious who played a loveable cop.  He was also adorable.  There was a grandma like nun who about killed me when she came out and did a hip hop number in a bright gold shining habit and the rest of the “nuns” were great.  And as my boss lady said “Anytime you can make fun of the church, I’m game.” 
All in all it was a delightful show full of laughter and talent.
Thank you to her for taking me for a fabulous fun daytime date!  She is a spectacular woman.


After that I rushed home to change and get ready for outing #2.  T and I were planning on checking out one of our favorite bands at the OC Parks Concerts
I had heard they had free concerts a while back and of course have just never actually got my ass over there.  Well when I found out the Aggrolites were playing I got the kick I needed.  We threw in our beach chairs, blankets and off we went. 
I was a little sketchy to go back here since the ROC race gave me my 1st taste of this OC Great Park and I was less than impressed.  We found the “green” side and I felt a little better.  Aside from having to pay $10 to park.  (So much for free concert) it was actually quite pretty.  The only weird thing is it kind of feels like a forced park if that makes sense.  Like it’s not supposed to be there but it’s trying really hard to.  I guess typical for Irvine.
Anywhoo, we popped our squat and headed over to the two Food Trucks.  We were hoping for more, but I guess just two is what you get.  Sadly I wasn’t paying attention to the name of the truck but I did get myself two pork sliders that were yummy and some fries with chimichurri.  While waiting for our food I noticed that everyone around us had a sour face.  People weren’t friendly.  No one was smiling.  Just a general note of grump.  I didn’t say anything at 1st, just thinking maybe I’m too perky today for my own good, but when I got my food and asked the man for ketchup and he snapped back “NO!” and huffed like the question was stupid.  I turned back to T and as we started back to our chairs I said “Is everyone here pissy to you?” 
She laughed and said she was thinking the same thing.  What’s with you Irvine folk?  Are you all this cranky?  Maybe it’s not Irvine, but whomever you people are – smile once in a while.  Whatever, just an observation. 
So we promptly inhaled our food and half listened to the kid from Simple Green who played reggae with just a guitar.  I’m an ass and can’t remember his name, but he was lovely.  My favorite was a man who had to be a buddy of his, dancing and recording his whole performance.  During this time the place was filling up more and more and the big orange balloon was taking people up and down.  It was a trip to watch that actually, but it was defiantly a little more family friendly than I was expecting for a band that deems themselves dirty reggae.  There was an annoying bunch of children in particular that kept chasing the giant bubbles that some dude was creating into the crowd and some unlucky peeps got to be under the thing when it popped, dripping bubble juice all over them.  It came close to T and me a couple of times, us squealing to get away from it and trying to make it obvious that we were indeed not a kid friendly blanket.
I would also like to mention around this time T and I both got differently flavored homemade popsicles from this darling gal that were AH-MAZE-ING.  Did I get her name?!  No dammit!
But aside from all of that, the Aggrolites took the stage as the sun was setting and proceeded to play a fantastic set.  The crowd had now filled up with actual Aggrolite fans, and the families.  A large crowd gathered at the front of the stage and jumped and danced and cheered throughout.  T and I found ourselves dancing in our chairs and loving all the people watching.  When the sun set, we did have about a 20 minute situation of more bugs than I ever care to see again swarming the area but then they were promptly gone.  Very odd.  There was a couple with no rhythm living it up in front of us, a lady with awful white washed jeans that could shake her ass like no one’s business, two little girls that made up dance moves throughout the entire concert, and a couple of little’s that chased each other none stop for what I think was about 3 hours.
The Aggrolites were cheerful, on key, on point and perfectly enjoyable.  I just love watching these guys play.  The keyboard player looked as if he was spinning a board.  The singer would bounce all over the stage and sing with a sexy raspy sound and the rest of the band was awesome.  The drummer also stood out a bit for me, pulling off some awesome beats.  I don’t listen to enough reggae and forget how much I love it.  They even played a kid friendly song called Banana that was hilarious.  If you ever get a chance, check these guys out - they are fantastic and fun!






I have to admit, aside from the $10 fee, bugs, the cold and the families – the event was lovely.  I’ll come again, with some OFF spray and warmer clothes.  Watching the balloon go up and down during the show, the lights, the night, the music, all of it.  A lovely summer evening!

Sunday was the day that T, Jill and I had purchased tickets to see Metalachi playing The Hanger at the OC Fair. I decided to post a separate photo blog of the fair but will mention the musical part here...and so:
I had never heard of these guys nor had Jill, but T had. 
 Metalachi
I don’t even know how to begin to describe these guys, but I’ll try.
So we go to the Fair a bit early to wander around checking out the exhibits and eat and play.  We ran into Mark and Noel and palled around with them awhile.  But when 8pm arrived, we excitedly got to the Hanger, got our seats and waited.  What I witnessed was brilliant.
These guys are obviously Mariachi musicians because they are fantastic, but they play heavy metal covers.  Brilliantly.  I mean really!  The fiddle player was fucking awesome (and gorgeous by the way) the trumpet player was amazing.  He was dressed in an outfit you would see in GWAR and had his face painted up like Gene Simmons in Kiss.  Fiddle guy looked like a hard rocking hard core Mexican.  The singer had the Ozzy look going, with purple spectacles a purple cropped shirt – belly hanging out and skeleton skin tight pants and also the oddest sombrero with little balls hanging off of it.  The bassist - who was playing a GIANT FUCKING BASS mind you, had a sombrero that was decked out rocker style.  There was a fellow who wore a cowboy hat that popped out every now and again to pump up the crowd then the other two guitar players were dressed more “Metal” than Mariachi or a combo. 
I died.
In between the songs they would make jokes in heavy accented “cholo” voices with quips like “You know you’re a Mexican when your nieces quincinera and baby shower are on the same day.”  Then they would go on to RIP a cover of Metallica or AC/DC or some other metal/rock band.
These guys were brilliant musicians and hilarious and goofy!  I was in total awe and had an absolute blast.  We didn’t even stay for the band they opened for (Dread Zeppelin), we were perfectly satisfied with what we just saw.  The crowd loved them, cheered, and the band ate it up. 
They put on an absolutely hilariously fantastic show and I will defiantly be seeing these guys again!!!!!
\m/




No comments: