Saturday, April 10, 2010

Napping...



I love naps.
I'm a huge fan of naps.
I'm particular smitten with warm afternoon naps. Its late afternoon, you sprawl out on your bed, the cool breeze blows gently through your window slightly ruffling your hair, the only sound outside is maybe the birds chatting in the distance. So peaceful. For a few moments.
Now I'm not a 1- 2 hour napper. I'm more of the 20-30 minute girl.
So many different versions.
- There's the power nap - the nap you need after workin all day and have plans or rehearsals in the evening. You get home from work - throw your crap to the side and dive on top of the bed for a quick 20 minute power nap to give you the energy to get through the rest of the night.
- There's the disco nap. This is very similar to the power nap. This usually involves a party weekend of sorts. Your worn out from partying the night/day before and you'll be partying again that night but your feeling the effects. (Especially if your over 30) so you take a quick disco nap to replinish a little bit of energy to keep the party going. I recommend a 30-45 minute nap in this case. These are also very helpful after a champagne brunch.
- There's the weekend afternoon nap. These are my favorites. These usually happen after you've been running around trying to get all your weekend crap rammed into one day and 3 or 4 o'clock rolls around and your a little tired and still have the weeknight ahead. For some reason lately these fall right when its nice and quiet outside - warm outside - cool breeze rollin in through the window. So perfect.
- There's the must nap now nap. These happen when you have completely over-done yourself, whether it be working, excersising, partying, what have you - but you reached a limit of sorts and you must have a nap to continue functioning. These sometimes can turn into an hour nap.
I have my fellow nap fan friends. My old roomate was one. Especially if he had a show. "I'm gonna take a nap before tonite babe!" he'd shout and off he went. He is a pretty serious napper. He'll strip down to comfy sleep clothes even, and he can be out for hours. I usually took these moments to grab one of my quick naps as well because it'd be so quiet. Mitzy is another nap fan. I think every time we've traveled together we always schedule in nap time. I did have a fellow I dated who said he never took naps, and was quiet surprised at what an advocate I was. Well....let me tell you - there was one afternoon when he and I spent the day walking the Spectrum then overdosed on Cold Stone Ice Cream. It was a warm summer afternoon. We came home and I suggested we have ourselves a nap. "Well, I wont fall asleep but I'll lay down with you". We didnt even shut the door - just sprawled out on my bed and what do you know - out. We had a very satisfying 30 min nap. He is now a huge fan as well.
So to all my readers out there - make time for naps. They are healthy and lovely and keep you rested and always ready to go!

1 comment:

Wombat said...

I myself am all about the Nap.