Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coachella Day 2...

Saturday.
Another slow start. Man, I need my 8 hours of sleep. Body's aching, eyes stingin, that whole age thing is slappin me in the face. We head down to breakfast. Gooooood. Off we go. We head to the same lot, and low and behold - its blocked off. We end up sitting in a line of cars for OVER 2 HOURS to get in. Anxiety is starting to set in a bit. Its not helping that my girls are stressin too, and T's about ready to get out and kill anyone who cuts into the car line. Ugh. We park...waaaaay in the back. The only thing I'm thinking is how awful its going to be getting out. Great. We tailgate - T makes mine extra strong. I try to chill. We head in.
Check in was actually quicker this time, I think security is caring less and less. Hell I could have brought in a gun. We hit the Lockers and book it to see one of T's bands - Girls. They were fun. So glad we made it. We decided to pop a semi-permanent squat in the main Beer Garden since the next few bands we wanted to see were right there. We got a great spot right up against the fence. Got some grub and Temper Trap began. They sounded wonderful. I almost made it thru the whole set but nap time settled in...J and I dozed. Ryan and his crew joined us for a while. They popped down and hung with us through Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - very fun happy music, then for XX - they rocked. Ryan's friend spilled beer all down my back at this point...aaaaahh nice. Time to head anyway - off to Corrine Bailey Rae. She's so tiny!!!!! J and I stayed for her set and she was fantastic, even a killer drum solo! T headed out on her own to catch Hot Chip. We all re-convened at the locker and battled the crowds - I reached my limit. I decided to chill at the mainstage and listen to MGMT while T and J headed off to catch David Guetta. MGMT sounded great, and I enjoyed people watching. Um...Jesus just walked by. The girls joined back up with me to watch Muse - out-fucking-standing. They were my highlight. They sounded so great, they had crazy laser light shooting out everywhere - when he came out and played the piano with some political images playing in the background I was actually brought to tears. I danced, I sang, I cried. They ended up being my favorite of the whole trip. Afterwards we headed over to catch Les Claypool who of course was the bomb - I seriously want to just hang out with him for a while. They we hopped and danced to DJ Z-Trip, one of our all time favorite DJ's. Next was Sia - J's fave - she of course as always was lovely. On our way out we caught part of Tiesto's set. He was great - but I know some better ones....
Getting out was a f-ing nightmare. Just as I had feared. All of us were tired and punchy and for one of the few times in my life I almost took a helper. I cant stand trying to drive with a million cars trying to get to the same gate and trying not to get hit. It was awful. One highlight was the boys in the car in front of us got into some giggle fit which for a brief moment brought smiles to our faces. I finally pulled a dick move - did some off roading and got to the front of the line after an hour and half - I still feel guilty but I couldnt stand not moving. Back to the hotel for our bologna sandwiches.
Some other fun sites that night were some people that had glowy people on thier bodies - so it looked like some wacked out cartoon dude walking towards you, we also saw a dude dressed as a pizza - if he was eating a hot dog it would have ruled - and T says she saw 3 Jesus's. Hmmm.

No comments: