Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kelly's Beach Friday....

Every year for I dont know how long, my brother and about 50 or so of them go to Kelly's Beach. This is about a 3-4 hour drive up north and a part of Kings River. They drive up Fri, float on Sat and come home Sun. This was the 1st year I could join in the fun and my fellow adventurer T-mow came along for the ride.
We were to meet at the bro’s at 4am. Yes. 4 Am. For those of you who don’t know, this is way before the sun rises and its an ungodly hour any normal person to be anywhere. Of course this meant I had to get up at 3. After some grumbles and stumbles and clumsy packing, T and I headed over to Shane/D's. There was 7 other half asleep friends attempting to load up, and we finally all rolled out. After ALOT of coffee and the sun rising, I started to feel somewhat human again. After 31/2 hours or so, and a couple of missed exits we rolled into Kelly's Beach. Now this is a ghetto campground pretty much made for partying. The campsites are enormous, they line the river, there's a general store with a sign says "We open at 9 or 10, sometimes as early as 7, sometimes as late as 10". A bar/restaurant, nasty bathrooms, and a staff that’s...well...interesting.
After an extremely long check in, we get bracelets attached that we have to wear the whole weekend (Are we on spring break?) and are assigned our campsite. One of our peeps has a trailer, so Mr. angry man who works there has to back it in. In the meantime the rest of us are setting up our tents and the rest of camp. We also notice we’re breaking out in a sweat in the early morning hours…oh lord. Most of us are set up by 9am. It feels like 2, so we start to drink. Hmmmm why am I getting a buzz already. Someone says its only 10am. Wow. Hair of the dog right? Throughout the day, our party grows bigger, eventually totaling up to about 50 or so of us. It’s a trip. Friday consists of drinking before 10am as prior mentioned, and then the rest of the day, playing games, eating, chatting, drinking, etc...Did I mention drinking?
I mosey down to the river to test the water and realize it’s about as cold as something...oh maybe in Antarctica...um we're floating in this shit tomorrow??!! It was a little odd...hotter then Satan's living room outside, yet too cold for Miss Jami to get in the water. There were alot of angry flies, so between the "Repell" bug spray, sunblock, and sweat you had a nice layer of grime on your body the entire time. Lets just say no one was "dressed to impress" in these parts. Our friend with the trailer had air conditioner and a bathroom so that was a nice bonus to the trip. Highlights of Friday:
Getting a whole day. At noon it seemed like 5pm.
Drinking before 10am - who does that!?
Nat/Court's 3am giggle fest – would normally piss everyone off, but T-mow and I found ourselves giggling along with them. I’ve never heard 2 girls laugh so damn hard for so damn long….
The bean bag game
Shaun bbq'ing T & my sweat kabobs
Seeing my bro in rare form
Visiting with friends and falling into a haze of vacationI'm sure there's more...but I'm surprised I'm even blogging now... Saturday was a little more interesting...

No comments: