Thursday, April 15, 2021

Scream for Vaccines...

 So we have a tool to fight this COVID bitch!

2 Vaccines came out in December and a 3rd one followed shortly after that.

I wanted to document my experience because this is just going to be a weird/awful time to look back on in history.

Pfizer and Moderna are the two that came out first -  both are a two shot process.  Pfizer 3 weeks apart, Moderna four.  Then Johnson & Johnson came out with a one shot punch.

People eligible for vaccines are coming out in waves/tiers.  The 1st round was Healthcare workers, first responders and folks over 65.  The next one was Education peeps (me!), essential workers and folks with underlying conditions.  I'm assuming the last phase will be everyone else.  That one hasn't opened yet as I'm typing this 1st part of my 2 part blog.

There are 3 huge pods here in OC.  Soka University, Anaheim Convention Center and Disneyland.  These are all booked through the Othena website/app.  You can also check pharmacies, Kaiser and maybe a few others but they're a bit difficult to book.  

I was holding out for the Johnson & Johnson because I ALWAYS have horrible reactions to things, and post hemorrhage I basically barf at everything.  So I was hoping for just the one shot.  But after the scare I had and the fact that once it opens up to everyone  it'll be harder and the fact that everyone is getting them and I'm starting to feel left out and the fact that in order to fight this bitch we need to just do it - I bit the bullet and signed up for Pfizer at Soka.  Hearing peeps experience with all the different shots it seems like Pfizer has the least side effects.

I booked my appointment for a Sat morning and headed out, praying I don't have bad effects afterwards.  So far so good but it's just day one.

I must admit the process was pretty easy.  I was a little worried when I drove up and saw a huge line of cars to get in, realizing I was not going to make my 10:15 but I was texting Carol who had done it already and she said not to worry

Holy Crap

But also - look at all the people getting vaccinated!!!

Once in, they direct you to drive through or walk up  - depending on your capability I guess, then you go through a drive through temperature check.  Once directed to park there's folks everywhere telling you where to go you get in line.

We registered at tables where they scanned our info (I had all my documents proving I worked at Chapman but they never looked at it) checked your ID and sent you off to que up.

Social Distance Line Queing

I'm a bit anxious at this point
Once in you're directed to a station where they check your ID again and scan your stuff - they also make your 2nd appointment.  There was another women - a gal that seemed like a little gramma who asked me which arm.  I said left and the next thing I knew she was putting on the band aid.  I didn't even feel the shot!

They explain the next steps then you're directed to an area to sit for 15 min, then you're off!

Shot 1 Check!

That's it.  It was so organized and easy!

Now my hope is I don't have any reactions or side effects.  I plan on posting this blog after shot #2!


Ok!  Here it is a few weeks later and I'm post shot #2!

I feel like this time I wasn't as anxious for the unknown, but still anxious about the side effects.  I was hearing everyone gets nailed after shot #2.  Ugh.

So - exact same process as above except this time there were way less people!  I'm not sure why, but the line of cars was super short and I didn't wait in any line to get in to get my shot.  Literally just walked right on in.

The drive thru area

This time I felt the shot.  No biggie, but there was a bit of a pinch.  Then sat for my 15 minutes.  This time I got a sticker!

This bitch is VACCINATED!

So - my arm pretty much immediately starting feeling pretty sore when I got home, and as the day progressed, I felt ok but the arm was really hurting.  No big. I can handle.  

I noticed I was starting to feel kinda more sore and tired, so I took an Epsom Salt bath that night and went to bed really early.  I had a rough night.  Tossing and turning all night.  Body starting to ache.  Just felt crappy.  Woke up Sunday realizing this second shot was going to be rougher.  I still got up and did my Sunday morning grocery store trip, but made Pat unload the groceries since my arm was hella hurting.  Then was basically useless the rest of the day.

I took 3 naps I think, and just lounged around.  Body aches, fatigue and sore arm were what got me.  That night I slept way better and Monday did deal with a base of the skull headache most of the day but that was it.  It wasn't pleasant persay but I was stoked I didn't barf and stoked that was it.  I never had a fever or chills, just the achey all over-ness.  

But here I am a few days later and feeling just fine!  And - fully vaccinated!!  Or will be in another week, but still - I feel like we're turning a corner.

 I know there's a lot of hesitancy on getting these vaccines but I trust Science.  I trust Doctors.  And this is the only damn thing that's going to get us out of this pandemic.  I mean that's what stopped Polio and the measles and the mumps, etc etc.  SO - I know not everyone will get vaccinated but hopefully enough of us will that we can stop this bitch once and for all.  I feel proud that I did my part in this fight against COVID.

I'm looking forward to hugs!!!!




No comments: