Monday, March 12, 2018

Project #WomenGetLoud...

I did a one night show!

Some of my girlfriends have started a really great group called Project Le Femme.  They decided to do a show on Thursday March 8th, which is International Women's Day.  Stages offered up their space and BAM - a show is ready to go.

They gathered a few different female artists and asked me to be a part of the scene and the movement piece.  I was more than excited to partake.  They sent me the script and said "You're playing Anne!".  I panicked.  Basically an 8/9 page monologue! I also had less than 2 weeks to memorize this.



Now the gal who wrote and directed it did have 8 rehearsals scheduled.  This is a lot for a one night show, but I was totally down since I had the biggest line load.  These rehearsals ended up being a combination of the movement piece rehearsals and rehearsals for the scene, so let's just say it got a little hairy there for a couple of weeks, but it came together.  Everyone in the cast was super sweet and supportive of my anxiety shooting through the roof.  And the gals running the thing were always very encouraging.

Show date came.  I got there way early to run over and over the scene in the theater (we weren't in there until the day of) and it was time!!!

It ended up coming together beautifully.  Almost a full house.  I only fucked up a couple of times but most didn't notice.  And I can officially put "Movement" on my acting resume!  Ha!

The proceeds of the show went to She Should Run, a fantastic organization and we raised $500!

I have to say I was so honored to be a part of such a great night of theatre!  Equality and Human Rights are a huge passion of mine, and being able to be a part of something like this was awesome!

A huge thank you to the folks who came out to support me.  My mom, of course - she's seriously probably my biggest supporter.  Two of my best friends Robin and Taylor.  My boyfriend Patrick (who brought me flowers!!!!  Squeeeaaaa!).  Then Pia and her mans and Jen and her mans from my work!  Plus of course all the theatre friends.  So rad!!!  Taylor took a bunch of pictures that you'll see below.

It opened with "No Longer" original movement piece by Emily Brauer Rogers, choreographed and directed by Sandra Moore.  We all wore red bandanas symbolizing our loss of our voice.  Then we come together as sisters helping each other find our voices.  It was pretty cool to be a part of!





My screwing around on Insta picture

 Next up was  "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay, read with permission by Jeanetta Rich.  Jeanetta was lovely, and her littles joined her onstage, although they weren't as into it.  Ha!


Kids were over it
Then came "Labels" original monologue by Amber Scott.  Now this one was the highlight for me because Amber is one of my dearest friends.  This piece was raw, real and beautiful.  I'm so damn proud of Amber for putting this piece out there my heart could just burst.  She got wonderful well deserved feedback!  Go Ber!!!


My girl
Then was my big scene "Coffee Clash" original script by Andrea Marie Freeman.

Trying not to pass out

Heather Enriquez, Jami McCoy, Wendy Karn and Amy Lauren Gettys

My favorite picture
After this was "Dedicated" original spoken word poetry by Jeanetta Rich.  

Then "The Ugly Files" conceived by Jenni-Lynn Brick. Performed by Heather Enriquez and Patti Cumby.

And last but definitely not least was Selections from the original show "The Common Denominator" and the original book "This is Me" by Tina A. Burkhalter.

Tina was wonderful and passionate and I loved watching her.

Curtain Call!




Then of course I had to share my beautiful flowers from Patrick:

So pretty!

 All in all it was a fantastic night of theatre, poetry, movement, spoken word and all around awesome-ness!!!  Such an empowering wonderful event!



No comments: