Monday, August 3, 2015

Gladiator Rock N Run 2015...



I know, another race right?  Well if you have noticed, I actually haven't been doing as many!  I've only done one this year so far.  I did the Inflatable 5K at the beginning of the year and was supposed to do Warrior Dash in March but was sick as a dog so that didn't happen.  Oh and I did do the Irish Spirit Run....but does that really count?

Anyway - here I am - my 1st real OCR of the year.  I was actually dreading it a bit, because as the race neared I realized no one had signed up with me.  Now I'm a member of that Weeple Army group, but I don't really know any of them except a couple of gals.  Those couple of gals and Fatima were doing a much later wave and I had a wedding to attend later that evening so I had to stick to my 9am wave.  So I was bouncing the idea around if I should do it alone or just forget it.  I hate to lose money on these things since they're getting pretty expensive (hence less races) and I already lost my money on the Warrior Dash.  I tried to convince Libby but she couldn't.  I was also trying to get David to sign up.  He's one of my favorite race buddies because we pace each other really well.  He was complaining he wasn't in the best shape and I reminded him I just got off a week vacation of drinking and eating and not working out either so it'd be perfect!  Well guess what - he signed up!!!  Yay!!!!

This run was just up the street at Irvine Lake which was awesome!  So very close.  I got there around 8, got my bib etc and met up with David.  It was pretty warm out already so I was actually looking forward to the Polar Plunge this year!  There also didn't seem to be a whole lot of photographers and one of them was changing their film when we went by, nor did we bring a camera so there won't be too many photos of us. But to give you and idea of the obstacles I've pulled random other pictures from the websites!  Here we go!

1st up was Cinder Block Burpees.  It's just like it sounds - you do 10 burpees with cinder blocks.  Good times!

Not us

Our 2nd obstacle was Ring My Bell.  I never get up this damn thing because I have never figured out the art of climbing a rope.  But - I did get halfway up!  It started swinging around which unfortunately kicked off my dizzys a bit.  That sucked.  But David got all the way up and rang the bell!  His 1st time!

Also not us - but David rocked it!
Next up were 2 Cargo Climbs.  I love these.  I scramble up them like a monkey!!! 

Nope, that's not me.  But I totally climb better than she does
After that was a wall climb.  Again - love these.  I'd say I always do best on anything climbing related!  Ha ha!

Also not us - but we always climb over faster than these people!
Then we hit hells hills.  Now this wasn't too hilly but rather through some really nasty smelling water.  Not fun.  Don't have a picture of this one because it's usually hills.

After that was Buddha's Burden.  For this one you pick up a bag full of sand and carry around the giant Buddha Statue.  Good work out!

This Weeple guy posted some selfie stick photos
After that we crawl under trenches.  These are fine if you're not claustrophobic.  The funny part about our little crawl, was the rocks starting falling on top!  I was crawling through wondering what was happening and when I crawled out the volunteers were yelling stop! stop!  Poor David was still in there.  He stopped under there somewhere while they got the rocks off.  Luckily not too big of a deal but could have been!
Not Davids head
I'm not sure if I have the order correct FYI.  So I think next up was our trek through the mud.  This is squishy squishy mud and it goes on forever!  It's kind of funny though because people are slipping and sliding all over the place.  The mud looks like this:

Next up was Skid Mark.  This is just a giant tarp down a hill that lands you in water.  The bummer here was they were having some sort of issue with the water and the obstacle was on hold for a really long time.  The line was ginormous.  We probably waited there for about half an hour.

Not us either and this is where the guy changed his film so there will be no shot of David and I!
Then we did some mud crawlin under some barbed wire.  That's always awesome for your knees.  We did again later in the race too.  My poor knees!  This is when I'm reminded why a lot of peeps may not wear shots.

After this was Dumpster Dive.  I swear they get the smelliest dumpsters for these damn things.  Now - this is pretty easy as long as you have someone to hoist you.  David hoisted me in and while I was in there a gal was having a hard time getting out.  I tried to hoist her, but she didn't really have the strength to help herself so she came down on me a bit hard.  David to the rescue - he got her over.  Then got me over.  Couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough!

Not us.  Seem like nice people though
After that we hit the part where you're supposed to piggy back on someone then switch.  Well David broke the rules and carried me the whole way!!  I was regretting putting on that vacation weight at this point.  I hope I didn't hurt him too bad!

I think around now is when we hit the Balance Beam.  Now - this is a 2x4 flipped skinny side up and you have to get across.  If you don't, you fall down into a water a good drop down.  Sadly this was another wait because 2 of the beams were super wobbly and not working out well.  Some folks were still attempting to get across but no one was making it.  David gave it 2 valiant attempts though.  I opted for one of the ones not busted.  We waited forever but when it was finally my turn I was determined to do it.  Last time I tried this I got knocked off.  I started off and almost lost it a few times but kept my balance.  About halfway across is when it starts to wobble.  This is where most people fall off.  I started breathing very calculated and concentrating super hard.  OMG my whole body started to have the tremors!  I kept going breathing more and more deliberate. I saw the end and saw David sitting there waiting and rooting me on.  I hopped off and did it!!!!!  I couldn't believe it!!  A lot of people were not getting across.  I felt so accomplished and proud!  I would say that was highlight of the race for me.  My arms and legs were totally shaking though!!  It took me a good 5 minutes or so to come down from the adrenaline.  I was so stoked though!!

Here's the Weeple with a selfie stick!  I made it across!
Around here we were coming up to the Polar Plunge.  This is a giant thing of freezing water that you have to go under a thing so you totally submerge in it.  It's damn cold but today was ok since it was so damn hot!  David lots his footing though and did a very hilarious tumble! He he he!

Whoa!
Goin down!
OMG like really going down!
I'm good!
Ladies and Gents he's good!

Shit its cold!

Oh Mah Gah!

Oh!  I see the camera guy!
Here I come!
F YA BITCHES!
Then this radio station stopped us to take a photo - Um OK!



After this we started rolling into the last set of obstacles that I think they threw all together!  It seemed like they kept coming!

First we hit the "Tired Out".  You pick up a tire, or two or one crazy guy got three, and lunge around this area.  Ouch!

Ya, not us.  This chick is just a show off.

After this was a fun little line of walls you hopped over and crawled under.  Here's another pic from the Weeple guy.

Not us but that's how you do it!
Then we got to the new one - Tubeasauraus.  This thing was hilarious and hard!  There were two of them.  They looked like giant water weenies.  You run and try to leap up so you landed on the top or at least got high enough to crawl over.  My 1st attempt was a fail - and this was with help from David's hoisting skills.  We were there with two guys and another gal.  One of the guys got up, then helped his buddy up then they turned to us.  (PS they were adorable).  Anywhoo - I went for it - I leaped and they grabbed my arms and yanked me right up and over!  They helped the other gal and David too!  Thanks guys!  The next weenie we had 2 other guys that unfortunately weren't as strong as our 1st two helpers.  But they somehow managed and we got over again!

Not us, but kinda what we looked like
After this was the big telephone pole log carry.  As we walked up, it was me and David and some other gal.  One of our cute friends was standing there and it looked like it had to be the 4 of us!  David asked "Where's your big friend!?"  Ha!  Sadly he didn't know so we went for it just the four of us.  The boys carried most of the haul but me and the girl worked in the middle.  This was the 1st time I've ever really actually carried the thing.  But we did good!

The hottie who helped us over the water weenie and ended up being our lead log dude!
Damn I'm actually really having to carry it this time!
David you're kicking ass!  Don't look so worried!
He he!  I did it!  And did not see the cameraman!
Last up was the dreaded Beast Wall.  I hate this thing.  It was super muddy and slippery and although I have made it over twice now when it's in this state it's never without injury.  Plus it seemed like more people were not getting over rather then getting over.  I took a deep breath and went for it.  Up I crawled no problem (that's the easy part) then here I am at the top frozen.  There are people up there to help and one guy kept reaching his hand out to me.  David was screaming from below "Take her hand!!"  The thing is, it feels like if I let go with one hand I'll fall.  The other guy looked at me and said "You got this!"  The other dude reached his hand out again which I felt was probably like the 100th time (how long was I up here?!) and I grabbed it.  As I started to fall he pulled.  The other guy then grabbed my other hand and with the help of these two wonderful dudes I got over.  As I was pulling myself over though I ripped my nipple.  Yup.  Holy shit did that hurt!  I climbed up and over and profusely thanked the guys as I climbed down the other side just in time to see David climbing over.  We did it!!!  F-ing wall.

Not us.  But that's exactly what it looks like.  Fuck that wall.

That's always the last one!  We trotted across the finish line and collected our medals!  This is my 4th Gladiator!


We may have not been in our best shape but we totally still killed it!  Just maybe a bit slower!

Us!!!!
We hung around a bit afterwards hoping to see Fatima and the girls.  The Burnt Truck food truck was there!  Yay!  So David bought us our post race grub!  So damn yummy!!  I love the Burnt Truck!

OMG so good!

Unfortunately I had to head out so I didn't get to see the girls but what a great day!  Thank you David for again being a rad race buddy!  I'm so glad he joined me and I ended up going for it!  A super fun day and one of my favorite ways to chat and play catch up with a friend when not over wine! Ha!

Go Gladiators!!



No comments: