Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Doheny Blues 2014...

Seriously this is one of my favorite times of the year!

Every single damn year it rocks our socks off!!!  This year was no exeception!

Dad got VIP tix for himself, Lori and I this year.  Then at the last minute Terri purchased a Gold ticket so she could join us.

Doheny has 3 levels of pricing.  GA, VIP and Gold.  VIP always sells out and it did this year as well.  When you get Gold, you get everything VIP gets (including sitting in the same area) but a whole bunch of other stuff too.  This was T was able to join us and explained that Gold was actually a good buy for what you get.  I have a feeling dad may go Gold next year.

We arrive at our usual early 8am-ish to make sure we can get a good spot in line so we can grab a good spot to sit.  Gold folks also get let in before VIP so T was our spotter.  The line up area was a bit different this year.  I think they have sold more VIP/Gold and I really hope they don't sell anymore than this because I do think they are at their max.  They also had a cafe open instead of the usual breakfast burrito cart and the lines were laid out a bit different.  I do have one concern - that this event may get too big for it's britches.  I know that happens all the time to festivals, I mean look at Coachella, and that's when it's not fun anymore.  I'm really hoping Doheny doesn't get to greedy/big but you never know.  Unfortunatley it's looking to move in that direction, but - fingers crossed.

We chilled and chatted and waited.  We wished T luck when her line started moving and crossed our fingers she would get a good spot.

When we finally got in we raced over to our area and there was a very stressed out T in a spot that at first we weren't too sure about.  It was next to a mini palm tree and not near an end like we prefer.  There didn't look to be an easy access to and from where we were and I saw the look of concern move across my dads eyes.  There is an art to grabbing the perfect concert watching spot.  You don't want to be too far deep so your climbing over everyone to get to and fro.  You don't wan to be near the walk way where you can't see and are getting beer spilled on you.  You want to try to be in a spot where people aren't walking through the middle of your area.  Etc. etc. etc.  They seemed to have the place laid out slightly differently and T did the best she could.  I put on a smile and said it was awesome and it'll work out.  We sort of had a path out and we're actually more center.  Dad seemed satisfied and T seemed relieved.  Later on though - was the perfect spot because that little palm tree gave us some awesome shade.  It kept people from rolling through our area too close and our surrounding fellow concert goers were never all there at the same time so the in and out access was perfect.

Here's our view from front and back.  I always love how colorful it is!




T headed off backstage to find out what kind of goodies her Gold got her and Lori, Dad and I got settled.  She returned later giddy saying it was an open bar due to the punch card thing not working and handing me a glass of wine.  Rad.





Dad and I headed over for some snackage and I grabbed some Pad Thai.  It was pretty decent last year and ok this year.  Dad opted for Crepes and of course we picked up our bag of Kettle Korn.  Dads crepes took so long though that I went back for seconds of my yummy lemonade!

Here's the group!



We returned as the 1st set had started.  Earl Thomas and the Rhumboogies.  They were great.  Perfect opener.  They had the crowd jumping and dancing and Earl Thomas was an amazingly energetic performer.  My only critique was he self promoted a bit too much.  He reached the point of annoyance when he said "One more plug!  Sorry"  I was pretty much over him at that point.




So after this, Lori and I decided to walk around and check out the vendors.  As I was standing in front of a place that sold handmade sandals and complimenting the handy work, my ankle rolled and my favorite pair of flip flops broke.  I knew it was coming but was so sad.  Lori was dying laughing at the fact that I busted my shoe in front of a sandal place and said it was a sign.  Too damn funny.  Since I couldn't afford the handmade ones I opted for a $5 pair of cheapies to get me through the rest of the day.  Lori got herself a cute little sundress and we paused a moment to watch a bit of Smokin Joe Kubek & Bnois King.



We got back in time for The Mannish Boys Revue.  Now these boys ended up being the favorite of the day for me!  I love when a band I'm not familiar with blows me out of the water and these guys did just that.  They also featured Kid Ramos and Sugaray Rayford.  Holy. Shit.  These guys were fucking awesome!!!!!!  They played THE BLUES.  Here's a link to them: The Mannish Boys - educate yourself!  I plan on purchasing the latest album because I want to hear them again and again!  Randy Chortkoff played the harmonica brilliantly.  Frank Goldwasser is a guitarist from Paris - ridiculous!  They tore it up.  Then when Sugaray Rayford came out, this man took the stage!  I mean it's hard not too - the man is like 6'5 an not a small frame.  He had on a purple-ish suite and blew me away.  Kid Ramos of course was fucking awesome as per usual as well.  At one point Sugaray, Frank and Kid sat down and played an acoustic set of raw, dirty, Cajun Blues.  Dad and I about died!  Just so fucking rad!!!  They played blues and they played blues perfectly.  I loved loved loved these guys!







FYI our palm frond made a great drink holder!!




After that, Lori and I headed off for round two of grub.  I got myself a Tri-Tip Sandwich and some garlic fries.  Yum!  Throughout the day T brought me about 4 or 5 total glasses of wine which was awesome, so I never did have to buy alcohol.  Next up was Buddy Guy.




This photo was when Buddy Guy decided to come walk down in the crowd.  He seems to do that all the time and it cracks me up how everyone freaks out and tries to see him.


Love this shot of Dad and Lori totally into it:



This was the third time now that I've seen Buddy and T's 1st time.  She was so very excited to see him!  Lori also had never seen this blues legend perform.  He took the stage in his famous black and white polka dot shirt and promptly tore that guitar up like nuthin flat!  His show was amazing of course, but I have to say the least favorite of the three times I've seen him now.  He did his usual awesome tricks with his guitar, but to me he just didn't seem as into it as I've seen him in the past.  T was none the wiser so of course loved it and I'm sure Lori did too.  Dad and I were rocking out the whole time and don't get me wrong - he was incredible - but I've just seen him better.  The show ended a bit anti-climatic as well too.  He sort of just walked off stage.  The band kept playing for a bit and I actually thought he was going to come back and they were doing some sort of musical encore but they wrapped it up and that was it.  Ah well - the man still rocked it.

These drunk folks kept dancing...comedy all through the day.



Lori decided she'd had enough sun and noise so she peaced out.  We had driven separately in case she wasn't able to stay for the whole thing.  She has a bit of an issue with the sun.  So T, Dad and I hunkered down for Mr. Gregg Allman.




The man rocked it.  I have to say, he didn't look very well.  He's been fighting some illness so I think it took a bit of a toll on him, but he played the keys brilliantly and belted out some great melodies.  At one point he brought up a guest sax player Mindi Abair.  She reminded me a Lita Ford.  Now dad loved her - but I wasn't impressed.  She just didn't have the breath power.  She was decent but that's it.  Decent.  (Seriously I'm becoming such a music snob!).  Jay Collins (Greg Allman bandmember) tore up the sax like I like to hear it.  He was incredible.  The lead guitar Scott Sharrard was also just fantastic.  He was probably my favorite to listen to the whole performance.  Outstanding artists.  All in all the show was rad.  Dad was rocking out and I'm sure re-living his youth in his mind.  I felt honored to be able to finally see Gregg Allman perform live!

So this year - Doheny Blues - killed it!  The weather was perfectly beautiful. The sun out most of the day and the smell of the ocean wafting across us was just bliss.  The drunkards were entertaining not annoying.  The music was perfection.  The crowd pretty chill.  A huge thank you as always to my dad who makes this possible for me to attend every year.  Good music just makes my soul shine and I can't imagine my life without it.  I am truly grateful to be able to experience amazing performances as I do every year at this festival!





No comments: