Friday, May 16, 2014

Color Run 2014...




My 1st race of 2014 took place last weekend!

I started the race year off with The Color Run.  I had originally signed up to do the one in Pomona in October but one of the Gladiators conflicted and since Fatima and I are going for the “Beast” medal this year I had to bow out.  I wasn’t even planning on doing it at all until my co-worker/friend Taylor mentioned he wanted to try out some of these 5K’s I’ve been doing.  So – he’s doing 4 with me this year!  Ha!  Suckered another one!

So he had his very 1st 5K and I had my 2nd Color Run.

This one was at the OC Great Park in Irvine.  Now I actually don’t care for races here, as you read in my ROC Race OC blog last year.  I think we have another one there this year too but what can ya do.  The location is just ugly and somewhat boring. 

The Thursday before Taylor and I went and picked up our packets at the Sports Authority in Tustin.  This gave me the chance to get D to make my T-shirt into a tank top!  Ya!  And of course get my fun ready for the race photo:



Taylor arrived at my place at 7:30 am Saturday morning and we headed out.  I opted for Leia buns hoping to keep some of the color out of my hair since I ended up with a greenish yellow streak in my hair for 2 months last year.

It was easy in, easy park, easy peasy.  We did our obligatory parking lot before shot. (The only ones on my phone were this one and the after.  Taylor used his iPhone in a protective case for the others and of course I have the ones I purchased.



We headed in both very excited.  Taylor was excited for his 1st race and I was excited for him.  There were a few vendors but nothing of note.  The really cool thing this year that they didn’t have before was a fun little Kaleidoscope theme and with it came a couple of fun places to have photo ops:






It was a little chilly as you can see me trying to be cute but freezing in the pics.  But the sun came out before the race started and it turned into a beautiful day. 

The MC was already on the stage trying to pump up the crew by doing Zumba dances and throwing out free goodies.  They announced the 1st wave which was us and we started a long parade like walk to the Start line.  Seriously the way it was laid out was so odd.  We walked for a good 5 minutes to get to the Start Line.  The lost a bit of momentum as we waited but finally got going.  They did the usual Color Run wave release by letting people out in chunks.  I’ve noticed the fun runs do this.  I assume since there’s kids and what not.

Of we went!

I trotted just a second and fell into my power walk stride.  Taylor jogged and walked along side of me.  We hit the Yellow Color group 1st and Taylor got his 1st does of powder.  Very cool.  We decided to take pictures of each other for future ones.  I got him in the blue one as you can see in this cute collage he made.  There’s also a video on here but I didn’t know how to upload it.  But you can see the pics!



Then he got me in the purple one.  I love the picture! I was trying to side swipe a woman who got in my way.



We finished really fast, I’m not sure it was an actual 5K or my power walk has gotten faster.  Anywhoo I love my finish line shot:



Then for some reason this picture just made me laugh.  It sums up the silliness Taylor and I have together.



Here are the rad Color Run before and after pictures that I also love:






Afterwards we hit the stage for the Group Color Bomb.  We stayed for 2 of them.  I don’t remember it being so crazy!  You can’t even see for a few minutes after everyone releases the color packs.  Super fun though and we were now completely colored.  Here’s our after parking lot shot. 



We headed out and got out rather quickly.  The line of cars coming in was ridiculous!  Ahhhh the benefits of early waves!

All in all we had a great time.  Taylor is a great race buddy!  I wouldn’t do this one again unless someone really wanted too.  Honestly trying to wash that crap off later is a bit of a task but I had a fantastic time! 

No comments: