Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Johnny Lang...



It’s hard to even begin to describe what an amazing experience it is to see Jonny Lang perform live.  If you have not seen him and you get a chance, make it happen.  I guarantee it will blow your mind!  (In the good way of course)

Dad and I first saw Johnny Lang headline Doheny Blues Festival one year.  We had no idea who or why this little tiny white boy who was maybe 20 years old was headlining a blues festival.  Well, as you’ve read in that blog and probably the 2nd time we saw him at the House of Blues in Anaheim a year or two ago you know – Minds Blown.

Here’s the kids website Jonny Lang educate yourself.  Trust me.

Anywhoo, I saw he was going to be playing at The Grove in Anaheim and I hit up my dad.  Dad in his usual generosity promptly purchased us two dinner tickets and two show tickets.  Done and Done.  I swear I wouldn’t be able to experience as much cool shit if it weren’t for the generosity of my father.

Last Saturday night was the big night.  Dad picked me up about 5:30 and we arrived just before the doors opened.  We were seated in fantastic seats in the 2nd section back from the stage.  For the dinner shows they have all tables set up and I could see the stage even without my glasses!  That’s how close we were!  Dad ordered us a bottle of wine and with the exception of the place smelling somewhat like feet at times, the overly stressed waitress and the packed in feeling they do – it was a fantastic evening.
Dad and I both had the Chicken Marsala which was bomb!  Grove is always a hit or miss when it comes to the food and we defiantly had a hit.  The dessert was Root Beer Floats!  I don’t remember the last time I had one of those!  Sadly I could only have a little due to my “Not supposed to eat dairy” rule but hey – brought back some childhood memories.

The opening band was called Honor by August.  They were lovely.  They reminded me of Airborne Toxic Event a bit.  Seemed like the type of music you would hear on KROQ or even a poppy station.  All kids it looked like and great musicians.  The guitar player had a fantastic solo where he was able to show off his outstanding skills.  I do hope to see this band go far, they were a fun show.



Then of course comes the God of Guitar himself.  Jonny Lang.  As I said earlier, I don’t even know how to come up with the right words to describe this kid.  He’s adorable, humble, and grateful and seems like he rolled right out of some barn somewhere and picked up a guitar.  He is the most expressional artist I have ever seen in my life.  Now I have seen musicians feel the music, but he feels it the entire damn time.  He looks like he’s either orgasming or in tremendous pain the whole time.  THE WHOLE TIME!   It’s exhaustingly great to watch him.  When his band is tearing it up in solos – and do they – he is laughing and smiling and watching them in awe.  The whole band is having a great time the whole show.  It’s like we’re just watching a bunch of dudes have a blast in someone’s garage – except that they are AMAZING.

I have opted out of taking photos at concerts since the iPhone just can't get them very well.  Plus it's annoying :)  So here's just a few faves pulled off the internet:




He played his usual favorites – Lie to Me and Turn Around.  And of course many other greats.  One of his songs he sings about “The music in me”.  It’s him.  I’m serious.  This kid feels the music from his head to his toes.  He plays rock and blues and he’s phenomenal.  The entire crowd was blown away.  You think he just topped himself with a solo then 10 minutes later you’re screaming at the top of your lungs because he just did something twice as amazing.  He sings his licks.  He has a raspy voice that comes from his soul.  And that guitar.  Oh My God the way he plays that guitar.  There are no words.  His pianist and bass player had solos that had me screaming and leaping out of my seat.  I have never seen a bass player slap the base like this guy did and sing the licks as well!!!  The man’s name is James Anton and the pianist is Dwan Hill.  They were my favorite band members.  Jonny Lang was beautifully brilliant.  This is the third time my dad and I have seen him live and it was his best performance to date!

I want to touch on music here for a second.  It’s the breath of the soul I believe.  It lifts you up when you are down.  It brings tears to your eyes when it touches a certain part of you.  It makes you giggle.  It makes you want to spontaneously dance.  It’s a revolution cry.  It’s a hymn.  It’s a lullaby.  Its part of the world and without it I truly believe that we would wither away and die.  I need music to live.  To thrive.  To feel.  I was a musician briefly, played the drums a few years, played piano a few years even played bass a few months but I didn’t have the determination.  But I am a fan.  I need music.  Want it.  Love it and live it.  So does my father.  He and I share a mutual love and appreciation for the art of music and I am so grateful to have experienced as many fantastic live shows as I have.  




Some of my favorite quotes:

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
 -  Hans Christian Andersen

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
Heinrich Heine

“Music is the universal language of mankind.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.”
Confucius

“Music can change the world because it can change people.”
Bono

And so many many more.  Know music my friends.  Live it.  Love it.  Experience it.  Feel it.

No comments: