Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Recap!



2014 is here!
Time for my 2013 recap blog!

I’ll briefly recap the year, since I know I try to blog a little more often about events so I can remember them.  Hell I go back and skim them so I can recap here! 
The year began with me easing back into my normal active life.  I did cancel my Fitness 19 membership.  I just figured there was no point in trying to get over the mental block I had going back there.  Everyone I talked to understood.  I started back up Boxing Burn and have been regular there ever since.   I also took a Barre class as well!!  Feels great!  

The year also began with me adjusting to life in my new pad.  I’m still here!  It’s a bit of a broke down mess now that I’ve been here a year and really got to experience the ups and downs but I don’t mind it.  I adjust and the girls seem content.  

February brought a wonderful birthday of friends freezing out on the deck to celebrate me!  Saw Wicked.  Got lots of great presies.

This year brought me my 1st race back.  Warrior Dash was much more emotional than I was prepared for
and totally awesome.  Following that I’ve done: ROC Race in Del Mar, Bubble Run, Color Run, 4th of July 5K, ROC Race in Irvine, Drenched Run, Rugged Maniac, Race for the Rescues and the Stache Dash.  RAD!

I also have really expanded my mindfulness and meditation.  I did a few meditation challenges which I really dug and I now am trying to keep a regular routine of 5 minutes of mindfulness before I leave in the morning and 10-20 minutes of a meditation at night before bed.  I feel I am really improving here and am noticing little differences.  I want to get deeper into this and learn more.  Definitely on the agenda for this year.

The year had a few great musical interludes – The Doheny Blues Festival was its best yet.  We saw Tower of Power in January and I saw John Mayer and The Aggrolites this summer.  The PSO did Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.  I saw the Post Mortem Alice Burlesque.  All great shows!

I had much loss this year as well.  My dear friend Stephen Ludwig.  An old co-worker of mine who was a delight named Kyle Daniels.  A childhood friend of mine John Brauning whom we called Little John.  And of course my Papa.  My Papa whom I love so much my heart bursts every time I think of him.  He has spent the last 3 years on such an awful downward spiral and then this last year – the year I write about – was his worst.  I’m still having a tough time with this, but I do know he is at peace.

This year also brought the 1 year anniversary of my hemorrhage.  An anniversary I wasn’t expecting to be so emotional and over whelming. Also so friggin awesome the amount of support that is rallied around me.

I had some successes at work.  Winning a few awards.  Enjoying Staff Summit.  Making new friends and still being so thrilled I’m at a job I don’t despise!

I’ve been missing theatre, but writing more.  I started a craft night that a bunch of girls have jumped on board with and it’s still going!  I did get onstage for one night again for the Adolt’s Only Christmas Pageant and had a blast!  I was also hilarious! 

Prop 8 was smashed as well as DOMA!  

It was another year of weddings!  My dear friend and co-worker Michele married Chuck.  This man loves her so much and I couldn’t be happier for her!  Terri and I had an amazing weekend out in Palm Springs not only celebrating the union of Sean and Dea but partying with so many old friends.  It was truly one of my favorite weekends of the year!  Then of course actually throwing my first wedding for my boys Dave and Pete who can finally after 19 years officially tie the knot.  The wedding was glorious and I am so happy for them!!

Had some great Halloween fun with Jay at Haunt and friends at LA Haunted Hayride and Bistro Halloween Party.

Christmas was lovely and NYE was lovely.  I rang in the New Year with one of my besties who always has a NYE party.  They are Scottish and always do this cool tradition called First Foot In.  A few minutes before midnight all the men go outside and at midnight they knock on the door, we let them in and someone else opens the back door to let the old year out.  The men come in carrying wood, booze and bread.  It's so friggin cool!  Liz and Susan also always have a ridiculous amount of food and Liz piles me with it when I try to leave.  They are my other family and I love them so!

So there it is – 2013 in a nutshell.

When I think back on this year I look at it as a year of growth.  Of spiritual understanding.  Of accepting things about myself.  The good and the bad.  Of letting things go.  Of not worrying about pleasing everyone or what people think.  Of eliminating the bad people out of my life and dedicating more time to the ones that matter.  Of practicing more random acts of kindness and practicing compassion.  I’ve become more analytical about the way I feel but it’s good.  I’m constantly trying to better myself.  I’m in a new place and it’s a trip.  I work out now to be strong and healthy, not worry about how I look.  I eat healthy to feel good not to lose weight.  I drink less to not lose my time to headaches and exhaustion.  I sleep more for those same reasons.  I try to write and create and stay active. 
There are things I’m scared of.  I’m scared to set up my appointment this month for my MRI.  I’m scared that I will never actually meet a man to share my life with.  I’m scared I won’t be able to financially get on track.  I’m scared to lose someone I love again like Papa.  But these fears don’t control me or over whelm me.  I take them in stride and don’t dwell on them.
I’m happy.  I’m in a good place.  I find it’s so much easier now to just be.  To live in the moment.  To enjoy life each day and find beautiful things in each day.  I feel like I used to dread new years and worry about what was coming.  I used to always seem to think the prior year was so bad.  Yes, last year had it’s really down moments but it was a good year.  I focus on the positive now.  The good.
I don’t make resolutions but I do hope for new adventures this year.  New friends.  Yes, a man of course!  I plan on doing some more races and crafts and playing in the kitchen.  I hope to get onstage again.   I’m just excited.  I’m going into 2014 with a smile!
Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: