Sunday, October 6, 2013

Halloween is coming...

So as I think I have mentioned previously, I have started a craft night of sorts.  I'm still in total awe that I've gotten into crafts as of late.  I actually purchased a glue gun today.  Lord help us.

Anywhoo, I thought I'd share our last craft we did.  Renee hosted this craft night in her clubhouse at her apartment complex.  It was a great location but we had to be out right at 10pm.  They even turned the lights out on us!  Ha!  We were wrapping up anyway.

Our craft was painting Mason Jars to become Luminaries!  I was pretty much Halloween minded as was most of the girls, but a couple did a few that were non-Halloween.

The start:

Another one of the gals brought items other than Mason Jars.  She brought candle holders, little jars and a few wine glasses.  This gave me an idea for possible Xmas gifts!!!

Anywhoo, you paint the Mason Jars with arcrylic paints.  I brought along some scrapbooking like stuff as well, some stickers and jar labels that my mom  had that were Halloweeny.  After you paint the jars and add your stickers/labels if you feel so inclined, you let them dry then you spray them with a spray clear glaze that a lot of folks call "Schlack".  One gal soaked hers with the Schlack and I think that's actually the way to go.  I never like to use a lot of spray paint so I just sort of barely coated mine.  Well, my jars didn't hold up as well.  They came out pretty good but the paint scratches off pretty easily and one of the labels actually peeled right off.  But I thought they came out pretty good for my 1st shot!

Here was our finished items as we were doing them:




And here were the one I actually did:



Most I just painted, but I used bat stickers for the red jar and some witch and cat stickers.  I tried to use glitter on the moon (yellow) one but it didn't work out.  The purple and pink one label fell off and the spider one I actually painted the big one but then glued on little plastic ones as well.  That one was pretty cool.


And today I pulled out some of my Halloween Decorations I have stored over at my moms house.  I can't really decorate here too much since I live in a sort of shoebox now rather than a house, but I put up a bunch of my outside stuff and then just a few corners in my living room.  I may pick up some Halloween lights this month and outline my bedroom window if I have time.





 You can see I'm a fan of Skelanimals!  :)  The Halloween Wreath is a cute wreath that my friend Julie made me with a bunch of Halloween ribbons.

Happy October!!!

No comments: