Sunday, April 14, 2013

Warrior Dash 2013

3rd year down.
This time the race meant something completely different.


April 6th, 2013.  Here it was again.  The Warrior Dash.  The race that started our kick into signing up for all kinds of random 5K's that have some sort of interesting element to them, usually obstacles.  Our usual crew: Tully, Julie, Court, D and I were in and a newbie this year named Holly.

The girls drove together and Tully and I headed out together.  6:30 Sat morning, Tully arrived at my door and off we went with a rather large mug of coffee.  We flew there with no traffic.  I found that I was a little nervous this time.  Tully assured me that I would kick my usual ass and to remember to take it easy.  I still found that my stomach was a bit jittery than normal.  We arrived way to early and it was way too cold, and we found ourselves milling around the area since the check in had not yet opened. It seemed the Dash crew didn't quite have it together. 

We finally were able to check in, they had my birthday wrong, sent me to information where no one was and I was starting to get a bit annoyed.  Finally a surfer like chick showed up, got it squared away and we were ready to go.  We found the girls and took advantage of the no one around to snap some photos at the Warrior Dash sign.  This proved to be a brilliant idea since after the race the line was never more than at least 30 deep.  Back to our cars to shed our warm clothes, drop off our goodies and get in gear.






We gathered at the starting line, start stretching and prepping Holly and I found myself getting nervous and excited.  An interesting encounter happened when Julie asked who was running with who.  (Tully and Julie are amazing runners and always kill it and meet us after).  D stated her and the other 2 were staying together which put me alone.  I was perfectly fine with this since the race meant a lot more to me than they realized.  The man revved us up and the fire was shot up and off we went.  I did my usual - trot until my knee swells and the pain starts to shoot up my leg.  This works out well since there is always a big group at the start and eventually weens off. I always trot to the right and start my power walk when my knee begins to go.  I've come to terms with the fact that most people will pass me at this point, but funny enough I usually pass them later on.

Once my power walk began, and most people had passed me up, I set in to my usual pace.  The girls passed me up but I met back up with them on the 1st few obstacles.  For awhile we were playing the game of, they pass me on the course, I pass them on the obstacles.  The 1st few obstacles I honestly don't remember, but I do remember the one I lost the girls on.  There were mud hills then you drop into water, then up a mud hill, drop into water, etc.  Four times.  Great.  Water already.  So in I go.  Yet I realize no one is able to climb up the mud hill.  It's like scrambling in one place.  The guy in front of me swished aside and said "You try".  It wasn't happening.  So, we mosied over to the side where you could grab the lip and help yourself over.  Once I figured that out I passed up a bunch of people and onto my pace again.

Here's the thing.  I am not a runner.  Mostly due to my knee injury but even if I didn't have that, I'm no runner.   But - I'm strong.  I will smoke you on the obstacles :)  So, when I popped out of the water and started up my power walk pace again, this is where I started to pass people.  The 3 girls also never caught back up with me.  I was a little surprised but also secretly stoked.  Look at me go!  So - I was now totally alone.  Off I went.  Loving every second.

Next we came to a balance beam like obstacle.  I was surprised to see so many people inching along.  It wasn't that thin.  I hopped on the empty one and sailed across.  Next up was a cargo net thing you walked under.  Now, it was a bit of a bitch by yourself, but a darling little gal and me teamed up and powered right through. 




That was awesome.  Next up was another balance beam like obstacle.  Sailed past everyone.  Now - my moment of triumph was when I approached the rope wall.  It was a big wall with ropes that you had to climb up, then you climbed down the other side.  Using only the rope.  There were about 8 across so I stood down by the 1st one and was surprised to see so many people struggling.  Was it hard? I wondered?  Am I not seeing something?  I thought.  I also noticed a few marine looking guys having issues.  So, I grabbed my rope and up I went like a monkey.  I heard a bunch of people yelling "Look at the pink girl go!!!" (I was wearing a hot pink tank).  I beamed with pride then scaled down the other side.  One of the marine fellows was on the ground and stopped me.  "Do you rock climb?" he asked.  "No" I laughed.  "You are all just a bunch of pussies!"  He roared and his friends laughed.  It was awesome.  And off my little power walk went.  Then it hit me.  The pressure in my head.  I stopped.  Held it.  Rubbed it.  I'm ok.  I'm ok.  But, that was a scary little moment.  Ease up Jami.

Later on they passed me and shouted "Yay!  It's the hard core pink girl!!!"  I felt like a million dollars.  Then I walked what seemed like forever with no obstacles.  I realized I had passed up a bunch of people and they hadn't passed me back up. I found myself chuckling chanting "Slow and steady wins the race!"  Along the course was a random photographer.  So I liked the pic and I bought it.  Yes.  I am a dork.




Then I found myself rounding the bin where the lake is.  I saw the big water slide that I loved last year, but as I got closer realized you walked up it, not slid down it.  Um ok.  That was lame.  I also noticed there were no lake obstacles at all.  WTF?!  Then I saw the fire and the finish line up ahead.  Man.  I was super disappointed this year in the obstacles.  There were barely any and they really weren't all that challenging.  Oh well.  So, I power walked towards the fire.  


Here it comes.  I thought.  My moment.  My jumping over the fire.  My triumph over conquering the hemorrhage.  Of surviving.  I started to get nervous again.  As I approached the fire my body ignited.  I was so excited. So happy.  So grateful to be here.  To be doing this again.  I was beaming when I approached the fire.  I saw the photographers and laughed out loud and shouted out with excitement as I made the leap!




It was amazing.  Then came the mud.  I dove in like usual, ready to power through it, and bam.  Halt.  The mud was thicker than it's ever been.  There was actually a tractor scooping out some of it as we went through it which was random, but it was nuts!  People were panicking, getting stuck, sinking, it was gnarly.  Some people actually had to get pulled out because they were freaking out so much.  The guys in front of me kept stopping and getting stuck which would make me sink.  I started to panic slightly thinking I'm never going to get through this.  I noticed no one was in the middle.  I knew why because there was nothing to grab on to.  Dare I?  I did.  I went into the middle and powered past everyone.  It was a bit scary and really intense, but I did it.  I dragged myself out and literally dragged myself across the finish line.  The picture succession is hilarious. If they weren't so expensive I would have bought them all.  You basically watched me exhausted dragging across the finish, notice the camera, start to look up and finish with the one I did buy:




As the guy medaled me, I shouted "Fucking Mud!!!!"  The guy roared.  Tully and Julie were waiting for me and praising me on how amazing I did.  How they were just chatting and Julie spotted my tank and shrieked "Holy shit there she is!"  Once I caught my breath I looked up at Tully. He put his hand on my shoulder and smiled.  "You did it!".  I started to cry.  Julie embraced me and it was all over.  I tried to hold back the tears but there was no way.  I  felt amazing.  I did it.  I'm back.  And I'm back almost full bore.  The emotions running through me at that moment are indescribable. 

I headed off to the lake to rinse off while Tully and Julie waited for the others.  When I lay down in the water I floated for a moment and smiled up into the universe.  I did it.  Walking out I ran into the girls coming down.  "I'm so proud of you!!!" Court shouted.  The tears started to return.

We all parted back to our cars to change and couldn't stop smiling.  I fucking did it.




We all met back up in the beer garden, laughing, sharing stories and drinking beer.  Well - I drank Gatorade.  Holly did great.  Tully ended up being 1st in his age group and 20th overall.  There were a total of about 5,000 runners.  He was 20th.  Yes.  He is bad ass.  Julie placed 8th in our age group and 48th over all.  Again.  BAD.  ASS.  I actually completed the race in 51 minutes and placed 1,175 over all.  That's right.  Top 20%!!!!!!!!  It was also a bit over 3 miles.  Julie figured it to be closer to 4.  When we found out our times Tully turned to me and said "You're not only back, your killing it darling!"  I couldn't believe it.




It felt so good.  So good to be back here.  Conquering this.  Sharing it with the people I love.  Coming back to this is just amazing.  I've signed up for a bunch more this year, and can't wait for all of them.  Although in general the Warrior Dash this year was a bit of a let down - it doesn't matter.  What it meant to me was I'm back.  I survived and I kicked it's fucking ass.  Grateful doesn't even begin to describe it.




That's right I survived.
Fuck yeah.











No comments: