Sunday, September 23, 2012

Slow food BBQ 2012...

I had heard about this last year. My friend Wayan is on this committee and puts this thing together. I had heard about it last year and thought "Oh that might be fun and something different to do!" and I'm all about healthy eating and healthy what not. Well I didnt go. A bit pricy. Well - as you all know - I now am trying just to shut up and do stuff. So I did. And one of my best friends joined me. I have been excited for weeks! The food sounded amazing, the ticket price included unlimited alcohol, there was raffles and in order to make it a zero waste event you brought your own place setting and there was a prize for the best. Well, of course the competitive side of me comes out and I want to win the best place setting. Of course my mom had alot of what we could use and what we needed, Susan and I went shopping last weekend and got a few things, then Susan took it upon herself to make these fabulous wine glasses. Our place setting was the fucking bomb. I mean look at it:
We rule. So we had read there was a "hike" "walk" whatever at 3pm and the event started at 4pm. My friend had informed me the walk was not strenous and the event had a very casual rustic feel to it so I bought a fabulous little aztec print sundress and chocolate Toms for the event. I figured I could look cute in case there were boys and be smart with good shoes. So, Susan convinced me to throw a pair a flip flops (so thankful for them later) in the car, I threw on some sunblock and we packed up our place settings and off we went. The gates opened at 2:30 and we were there not a minute after. We wandered in and they were still setting up. Wayan told us to grab a spot so we immediatly snatched an end seat and set up our arrangement. Proud and pleased with ourselves Susan grabbed us a couple of the free cocktails which she finished (wasnt my thing) and the walk was taking off. We darted over and joined the little group. It was mostly older folk and everyone was given little cards to read when we came across those certain plants or animals to read about. Very cute. Here's our group:
About 5 minutes into the walk we were over it. It was a million degrees outside, it was dry and the sweat was pouring down me already. I was cursing myself for not bringing a hat as my hair was blowing in around angrily. Thank you Susan for letting me borrow yours later. It was very cute and informative but I felt like I was in Outdoor Ed and it was just too damn hot to give a shit. Another co-worker of mine - Rachel - and her hubs joined the walk a bit late so we all had a nice time chatting and joking. When the docent said we could turn around and head back, Susan and I promptly took the lead and ended up about 100 feet in front of the group, the thought of food and wine waiting for our return keeping our pace quite brisk. I did snap some fun shots:
When we arrived back we darted to the car where Susan changed and I spritzed some body spray hoping to cover up the now sweaty smell I was producing and back to the BBQ we went. We got some wine that was from Organic Cellars. We chose the red which was a fantastic Pinot Nero and back to our table we went. This was waiting for us:
We mowed through that pretty quickly - seriously some of the most amazing fruit I have EVER tasted. Soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy! The oyster appetizers were being served at a table near the bar and we grabbed a few. OMG. Seriously. Amazing. Sadly they went very quickly and everytime they brought back more it was somewhat of a battle to grab another one. But Susan is a tough broad, especially when it comes to damn good food so she snagged us a few more. We made trips back to the wine fellows many times throughout the evening and became known as the flower girls due to our fabulous wine glasses. Susan and I both ended up purchasing a couple of bottles from these fellows since it was so good. All throughout the evening we were complimented on our place setting and wine glasses. I mean seriously:
We bought some raffle tickets and placed our tickets into the chosen bowls of prizes we hoped (but didnt) win and anxiously awaited more food. I was a little disappointed in the possible date selection. Most of the crowd was older couples and older people but alot of them were very cool. Rachel and her man squeezed in next to us, and the couple next to them were very sweet and engaging. We had a really great little six-some for the evening and I was more than pleased meeeting some fabulous new folks. Then Susan gave me the look and jerked her head....there was a cute boy. He looked a little older than I and had leg muslces that wouldnt quit. He joined the group right behind Susan. She overheard him saying he rode his bike there. *Swoon* The 1st dish was served, watermelon, cucumber, onions and feta salad. An interesting mixture but quite good! Then came the chicken and potatoes and corn. I dont know what seasoning they had on that corn but Yummmmmmy! We ate and drank and chatted. They had a country band of a bunch of old guys that played a nice variety (Thank GAWD...you know how I feel about country) and the Slow Food man gave his speech (about 15 minutes too long) but was intersting to hear and dessert was brought. Some sort of upside down cake with fruit and honey. It was just ok. Not my favorite. The raffle was called and the place setting prize announced (Some jackass with a giant wooden chicken. Really!!!?????) and the event started wrapping up. We cleaned up our areas and got ready to head out. I thanked Wayan who was ever so grateful we came and I was ever so thrilled we did. She gave us fabulous basil plants in canvas to take home as a consolation prize and off we went. Susan was teasing me about not flirting more with the cute bike rider fellow and half way out of the park we turned around and drove back. Yup - we turned 15 years old. Susan ran back in while I sat moritified in my car and she told the guy I thought he was cute and gave him my phone number. He did know who I was apparently and off we went giggling and laughing at the fact that we just pulled a very junior high move. I seriously doubt this guy will call but the fact that she actually did that topped off my night perfectly. That is a damn good friend right there :) All in all we had a really fun time, tried some interesting new foods, learned a bit about the slow food movement and most importantly spent some great quality time with one of my best friends. Below is a few more pictures. I do believe we will attend again next year! Thier centerpieces
We claimed our spot
Love this girl!
The band!
The gal in charge of Slow Food OC
The man who spoke about Slow Food
My beautiful friend who put it together!

No comments: