Friday, September 14, 2012

Easing back in...

Well ladies and gentleman - it's official. I have slowed down. I got the green light from the neurologist. I'm still dealing with some health stuff, but I'm pretty much back to normal. So I think - I'm going to ease back in. Yes ease. Yes I promised my father I wouldn’t push it. Yes I laughed when an email was sent around at my work advertising free kickboxing classes and my co-worker emailed back JUST SAY NO TO KICKBOXING with a smiley face. Yes the second I say I plan on (insert activity here) I get an eyebrow raise. But trust me folks - my body will not let me push too hard. I'm not going to lie, I get frustrated at how hard things are right now. But I am aware I'm not just dealing with being a few months out of shape, I'm dealing with one hell of a hit to my body. When someone says to me "Jami, it was only 3 months ago you almost fucking died!". Well when you put it that way.... So no - I'm not leaping back into my old workout routine I'm easing back in. It's harder but you know what - It still feels GREAT! I love how I feel when I'm active again. I've noticed I've been tired and out of sorts and I know this is because I'm not in a regular active routine, but I'll get there again. I'm really enjoying what I'm doing right now though! I signed up for a two week yoga trial, and once I get an answer/direction on this motion intolerance/vertigo situation I plan on signing up and attending regularly. It's called Sunspark yoga and they just opened up in the Orange Circle. It's perfect. It's close. The teachers are lovely. I've been taking walks on the weekends with my friend down at Crystal Cove. It's a brisk walk and we walk about 3 miles. It's of course gorgeous down there and I don’t mind driving down there at all. I still ride my bikes. It's a little harder, but I know this will take some time. I rode my beach cruiser to the Circle last weekend and on my way back I had to stop halfway up the freeway hill because my heart was racing faster than I've felt it in a long time. I calmly stopped, drank some water and reminded myself it was a million degrees outside as well. As I felt the blood rushing through my veins I couldn’t help but have a slight pause and think "Well, if my brain was going to pop again this would be the moment" All was well of course so I figure I'm for sure ok now! (Yes, I know a little dark humor). I also took a nice ride with another friend of mine on the Santa Ana River Trail with my other bike and it felt great. Was tough but felt amazing. I also just took my first hike in a long time. A friend of mine mentioned Peter's Canyon and I realized this is one of those places I always say I'll go to and just never have. With this new found "Just do it" attitude I nailed her for an afterwork hike. It was absolutely beautiful! She is quite active and I had to work hard to keep up with her. We were chatting the whole time but I found myself heaving between words when we were huffing up a hill. Sweat was literally pouring down my face and body and I was worried it was going to damage my nice camera. I laughed as I kept wiping myself down with my tank top. When we finally peaked I felt amazing. It was hotter than Hades and I was struggling to catch my breath but it felt so good to really get in a good workout. We took the flatter path on the way back to be careful with my just getting back into it, but I'm confident we can push a bit more the next time. I wasn’t that sore the next day at all. It just felt so good to be really physical again without pushing too hard. We plan on doing this every Wednesday after work until the time changes and my only regret is I never did this sooner. I mean here is this gorgeous piece of land not too far from my place and I've just never gotten around to getting over here. Crystal Cove is a just a freeway hop away and I never got down there much either. This is changing. I plan on getting out and getting more workouts in nature. I've always loved it, just been too lazy to find it. When my Crystal Cove walking buddy has her baby and is ready to get back into exercise again we'll be pushing ourselves even more as well. I'm thrilled and it feels great. I really do love to sweat! :) Nice view on our Crystal Cove walk:
Sometimes we walk along the beach:
Some shots of Peter's Canyon. The start of our hike:
A halfway point. Gorgeous view:
Our peak!
A little friend joined us:
Yup - we walked that!

No comments: