Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stomp...


I saw Stomp for the 4th time last nite with the fam. They were fantastic!
When I saw them for the 1st time, years ago, I fell in love. We all have that one dream right? I wanted to be a member of Stomp. They have everything I love - Dance. Percussion. Comedy. Energetic. I watched them in amazement thinking to myself "I can totally do this! This is me! I can see myself up there rockin it!"
I played drums for 3 years. I've always had an ear for music - especially percussion. I know rhythm and I know it well. I've always loved to dance. I'm also a huge goofball, so comedy comes natural for me.
For fun I looked up auditions. Sadly I realized my little pipe dream of joining the Stomp crew would never happen. You needed so many years of Tap (I have none). I was too old. There were many other things I was just not experienced to do. I accepted my fate but have tried to catch them perform whenever I can. My fam loves them too. We're a family of musicians and music lovers and dance lovers so of course we always have a ball.
They did my favorite part - the performers hanging from the wall of stuff (Pots, pans, trashcans, etc) and swing back and forth on the ropes banging away in perfect rhythm. I love when thier loud. I love when they go off on the bigger noise makers and of course I love the finale when they all come out with trash cans and lids and trade off and bounce around like kids on speed.
Last nite they didnt do the "key" bit, but they had a new thing - inner tubes. I love watching the new shit they come up with. They did the zippo bit, the bag of random crap bit, the sinks, the folding chairs, buckets, tap numbers using only thier bodies and more.
Dad and I bounced in our seats to the rhythm, mom giggled the whole time and my bro (his 1st time seeing them live) kept leaning forward in his seat in amazement.
They got a standing ovation - they well deserved it. I dreamed last nite again my lil pipe dream of being a Stomp performer and woke up so sad it was a dream.
Dammit I love those kats!!!!

No comments: